• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Grub screw, fill adapter, front right brake caliper 99 RT

Gregory

Just replaced all brakes lines with Galfer braided ss lines. I have bled the lines numerous times so I know the procedure. The front right brake caliper has the fill adapter and grub screw which I plan on replacing with a speed bleeder. When replacing the fill adapter do I just remove the grub screw and replace it with the speed bleeder or remove both screw and fill adapter, then thread the speed bleeder directly into the caliper. I understand a little heat and gentle love to soften the Loctite is needed. Thanks for the help, Gregory 99 RT 60k miles

The front right brake caliper has the fill adapter and grub screw which I plan on replacing with a speed bleeder. When replacing the fill adapter do I just remove the grub screw and replace it with the speed bleeder or remove both screw and fill adapter, then thread the speed bleeder directly into the caliper. I understand a little heat and gentle love to soften the Loctite is needed. Thanks for the help, Gregory 99 RT 60k miles

You have it right. You can do it either way. If you install the bleeder (speed bleeder or standard) into the fill adapter it is going to work fine, it is just going to be sitting out from the caliper quite a bit. As long as you know to apply some heat to the adapter, you can remove it and install the bleeder directly on the caliper. I have speed bleeders on my RT and brake bleeding is a quick and easy procedure. Since it's so easy, I usually flush the fluid at least once a year.

How much heat approx degree wise?

You have it right. You can do it either way. If you install the bleeder (speed bleeder or standard) into the fill adapter it is going to work fine, it is just going to be sitting out from the caliper quite a bit. As long as you know to apply some heat to the adapter, you can remove it and install the bleeder directly on the caliper. I have speed bleeders on my RT and brake bleeding is a quick and easy procedure. Since it's so easy, I usually flush the fluid at least once a year.

Is a hair dryer sufficient or something more industrial? TY

Is a hair dryer sufficient or something more industrial? TY

Typically, no most hair dryers don’t put out enough heat. BMW loves to use Loctite so a heat gun is a worthwhile addition and not very expensive. I don’t have a temperature setting for the fill adapter. Heat it up and then put a wrench on it, if it won’t turn or only with difficulty stop and heat it more.

Typically, no most hair dryers don’t put out enough heat. BMW loves to use Loctite so a heat gun is a worthwhile addition and not very expensive. I don’t have a temperature setting for the fill adapter. Heat it up and then put a wrench on it, if it won’t turn or only with difficulty stop and heat it more.

About 15 seconds from one of those tiny butane torches and you are good. Or a heat gun. I prefer the little torch because the heat can be very localized.

Back