Thread: Tyre fitting and balancing - 2016 RTW

Tyre fitting and balancing - 2016 RTW

I will be getting a non BMW motorcycle tyre dealer to fit new tyres to my rims, which I'll take off the bike to save a few dollars. He'll balance them, but are there any traps for a relative newbie in doing this? I'm wondering if the rear needs to somehow be balanced on the bike, or is marking a stud on both the hub and wheel sufficient, so the wheel goes back onto the same spot.

Quote Originally Posted by stinkypete View Post
    I will be getting a non BMW motorcycle tyre dealer to fit new tyres to my rims, which I'll take off the bike to save a few dollars. He'll balance them, but are there any traps for a relative newbie in doing this? I'm wondering if the rear needs to somehow be balanced on the bike, or is marking a stud on both the hub and wheel sufficient, so the wheel goes back onto the same spot.
    Assuming the installer knows what he/she is doing this is a non issue. But, if the installer lacks the proper fitting to balance the wheel it could be an issue.

From a broader view I prefer to balance a wheel without a tire. After that most tires need no, to little weight.

Balancing on the bike is almost never done. The only trap is whether the tire installer has the correct manner to mount the wheel to his equipment.
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://web.bigbend.net/~glaves/

What Paul said plus be sure that they know there is a TPMS sensor in the wheels. My Kawasaki dealer across the street from me has done a good job thus far mounting my tires, but I always give them some warning about the TPMS and ask that they be extra careful. I do the balancing myself.
    MOA #107139
    RA #28511

Check to see if he has a adapter to balance the rear wheel.
    If not you can purchase one here. http://www.marcparnes.com/BMW_Motorc...l_Balancer.htm

ba12.jpg
    Lee
    2016 R1200RS
    MOA # 30878
    Past BMW Bikes: 2011 K1300S, 2003 K1200RS, 1991 K75S, 1987 K75T, 1984 R100RT

+1 on making them aware of the TPMS. I used painter's tape marked with "Tire Pressure Monitor" and affixed to the valve stems when I took my wheels to a non-BMW shop. Ironically, I do tire mounting with an old 70s Coats tire changer and do the balancing with the Marc Parnes balancer for friend's bikes. Unfortunately, the Coats won't handle the fat "lip" on my GSA rims, so off to the shop they go until I can afford to get a suitable rig to accommodate them.
    Motorcycling is my passion because golf is far too dangerous!
    2016 R1200GSW

Thanks everyone for the advice and info. The dealer advises that has all he needs to balance the BMW hub mounted wheels, and I'll remind him of the TMPS with tape next to the valve as suggested.

This is all part of my planning for a 19,000km adventure, leaving in a few short weeks.

Thanks everyone for the advice and info. The dealer advises that has all he needs to balance the BMW hub mounted wheels, and I'll remind him of the TMPS with tape next to the valve as suggested.

This is all part of my planning for a 19,000km adventure, leaving in a few short weeks.
    Have fun. Ride safe!
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell

I want to hear more about balancing the rim without the tire.

Are we talking stick on weights still? Inside? Outside? This sounds like a good idea next time I change my tires.
    John.

Quote Originally Posted by jstrube View Post
    I want to hear more about balancing the rim without the tire.

Are we talking stick on weights still? Inside? Outside? This sounds like a good idea next time I change my tires.
    What I do is balance the wheel without a tire mounted. I do use normal stick-on weights on the outside of the wheel just like I would if a tire were mounted. But I mark those weights with a spot of paint. Then when I mount a tire it will usually take no, or very little additional weight. The next time I mount a tire I strip off the unmarked weight (if any) but leave the marked weights as permanent weights.