• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

throttle flipper extension thingy 2016 R1200RT

rick601

sprained thumb and arthritus have me thinking of one of those wings (?!?) that the heel of the hand sort of rests on that make throttling less dependent soley ongrip. I have a nice one on another motorcycle of mi ne but it's brand specific (not BMW) I know there are plastic ones that slip on but i am hoping for something a little classier...more integral looking...suggestions?

The cramp buster is used as a mount for a heated gear controller in the center of the handlebar. Not my bike.

A year or so ago at the "National" I had a conversation with a vendor about the cramp buster type devices he was selling. I told him I liked mine on some bikes and not on others. He asked why?

So I explained my findings from experience. On some bikes with the clip on positioned for comfortable highway cruise a full roll off interfered with a good grip on the brake lever. On other bikes this was not the case. It purely depends on how many degrees of twist grip rotation there are between highway cruise in top gear and the twist grip at full off idle.

On some bikes I really like these devices and on other bikes they are useless if you want to be able to grab a whole handful of brake.

My all time absolute favorite throttle device is the friction screw on many Airheads and klassic K bikes. I even installed the "authority" friction screw and throttle housing on Voni's R1100RS.

Last edited:
or instead of putting on a flapper thing...just get better grips. larger diameter and more grippy. or just wrap on a beemerbuddy/grippuppy. the extra cushioning with better grips also helps with reducing vibration and impact pain on the arthritis.

stock bmw grips are too small and are hard rubber that is slippery. i replaced all of mine.

or instead of putting on a flapper thing...just get better grips. larger diameter and more grippy. or just wrap on a beemerbuddy/grippuppy. the extra cushioning with better grips also helps with reducing vibration and impact pain on the arthritis.

stock bmw grips are too small and are hard rubber that is slippery. i replaced all of mine.

The 2011 K1300S was the first BMW my wife had with small diameter grips and when her arthritis settles in her hands the little grips caused her more pain.
At a rally someone gave her a Grip Puppy to try for a day and she said it was a big help.
When we arrived home I ordered a set for her.
When she bought a R1200RS Grip Puppies were added the first day.

I've used the Throttle Rocker before I got a bike with cruise control :)dance). You can rest the palm of your hand on it to regulate speed when your fingers start giving you fits.

Throttle Rocker.jpg

ordered the Grip Puppies. PGlaves observation that those flippers "work on some bikes" made me realize that on the bike I have that it works on, they are an integral part of the grip/throttle assemble. The cramp buster, well the fact that even THEIR literature said you can just flip it (rotate) "out of the way" kind of was an admission that it CAN get in the way. BEST use may be the handlebar heat controller mount after all

Thanks all

I have the throttle rocker, over the grip buddies. Major help! Takes a little getting used to, once I did I wouldn't be without it.

I know this may be against the grain but I really dislike these wrist rest for the throttle.

I personally have got hung up on gloves or clothing, and watched others do the same. When it happened to me I pulled it off and threw it away and have never used another.

I would rather see you buy a 2 LB dumbbell and do wrist curls, or those squeeze clamps to build your hands up :)

I stopped using one for the same reason. Hit it inadvertently a few times without serious consequences, but could see it causing something bad in the future.

I know this may be against the grain but I really dislike these wrist rest for the throttle.

I personally have got hung up on gloves or clothing, and watched others do the same. When it happened to me I pulled it off and threw it away and have never used another.

I would rather see you buy a 2 LB dumbbell and do wrist curls, or those squeeze clamps to build your hands up :)

not against MY grain! But some kinds of pain don't really respond to wrist curls...it's the hand. As stated, the protuberance on my softail just works...not throttle by wire (more sensitive to input) and not some plastic clip-on, (it's integral to the throttle somehow and after a little adaptation, I got used to it.) Maybe the range of twist is also a factor. Anyway, some cogent comments from some similarly afflicted (hand-wise) led me to order something that will thicken the grip...worth a try...other comments seem to indicate that the only available for US (BMW riders) are stick on solutions that have the potential to get in the way...and I can get in my own way very well- without a crampbuster!

I had the original throttle rocker on my 02R1150RT, the pull by the throttle cable was day and night compared to the wethead. I liked it while cruising but once I got into the tight stuff it was a hindrance so I gave it up. Between the light throttle and cruise control I don't see a need for one on my wethead.

Throttle Rocker.jpg

Jay

Back