• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Corbin Seats??

G

ghostrider44

I've had my GS about 3 months, 3000 miles, and stock GS seat is wearing me OUT! Bought alaska leather and didnt help me at all! So I was wondering if anyone had experience with Corbin seats in general, but specifically a GS.. thanks a bunch!!

Ryan

2005 R1200GS

Depends on your butt....

If your butt likes a corbin, like mine does, you can ride forever on one without having it hurt...

BTW, I will have an 1150GS Corbin for sale pretty soon....

Let me know if you are interested....

Seems good

I had a corbin on my F650GS which did well for me on a 3000 mile trip up and down the coast last fall. When I traded in for my R1200GS last month I went ahead and ordered their standard tuck and roll with no welt for the front saddle (carbon fiber style leather - same as my earlier one). I've put a thousand miles or so on it and it seems great so far.

The stock seat of the 1200 seemed better then the stock seat of the F650 but my previous experience with the Corbin - plus the ease of ordering the seat - is what convinced me to do it. I think a lot of people initially feel that the Corbin's are too hard. But my experience, especially after it broke in, is that it seemed just about right. The other plus with the Corbin is I've got the stock seat handy. The stock seat, at the lower setting, allows me to flat foot both sides of the bike simultaneously. I would probably put it back on for extended off-pavement riding. The down side of the Corbin is lack of adjustability on the height. Also the release mechanism for the seat was tight until I did a little filing and lubing.

From browsing the forums it sounds like there are better, or more highly thought of, seats available. But the Corbin has worked for me. If you can, pick up the seat in Hollister. They will feed you and they have some cool stuff on display. Also they can tweak or decorate your seat at no extra charge.

My K100RS had a Corbin on it when I bought it (Gunfighter) and I did a 719 mile trip in one day on it with no problems. I guess some people's butts don't like Corbins, the only way to find out it to try I guess. It looks like you wouldn't have any trouble selling it if you don't like it. Plus, I think they are a lot more affordable than some of the others.
Chris

I have two Corbin seats currently, out of a total of four since I started riding. I like them. The Corbin I have on my r1150r was an enormous improvement over stock.

I haven't tried Sargent or any of the Mayers, so I can't offer comparisons. I did see that Sargent just introduced a seat for the r1200gs.

I had a Corbin seat on a Virago 750, comfortable, but weighted a lot..

Corbin Seats

I've had Corbin seats on a 02GS and a K75 loved both seats.Had a Russell on a 99RT I believe it was probably a little nicer (lighter) but had to wait a long time to get it.Sargent and Mayer are supposed to be good also but don't have any exp with them.Getting ready now to order a Corbin for my R1150R.I think for the money you can't go wrong

Corbin

Had a Corbin on my 96 R11RT and liked it. Rode many 800 - 1100 mile days with no serious pain. Don't expect any customer service if you have problems. It doesn't exist at Corbin.

Still using the stock seat on my 05 GS12. I did rig the adjustment to ride on the high slots in the front and the low slots in back. Eliminated the slide forward problem.

Corbin seat for my R1150RT is super comfortable, but is higher and wider than the stock seat, so not for the vertically challenged. I sent mine back to Corbin for adjustment, but it came back pretty much the same as it went in. I sent it back again and am now waiting to see if they can trim it down so I can get my feet on the ground (BTW I'm 5'10" with a 30"inseam.

I got a Corbin for my '97 R1100R. Although the seat was better than the stock seat, ditto regarding customer service. It apparently does not exist at Corbin.

I'm a Sargent/Rocky Mayer guy now.

Corbin's are planklike and their customer service is non existent. Seat pans are crude and heavy and often have fit issues that will abrade your bike.

I've had four and will never buy another.

Some years ago, I put a Corbin on a K75S. I removed it after about a week. It was very hard and if it isn't shaped to fit the butt that was using it, it's a pain. It was also heavier than stock. The best I could say about the Corbin was that it did look good in the bike.

Someone has to be the naysayer. :)

Nearly every bike I've bought has been cursed with a Corbin seat and usually a K&N filter. The Corbins (at least the older ones that I've experienced) are in ways more comfortable than the stock seats but they are junk. Too hard, WAAAY too heavy, they fit poorly (rub the paint, etc) and the basketweave material inevitably starts to flake away. In most cases (just my experience here) the seat is cut so that the rider's butt is farther back, which just didn't work for me. One seat that I actually bought (used, when I crashed a K75) was actually comfortable but within weeks the covering was cracked and the seat was full of water.

Every bike I own now has a stock seat, in several cases I had to buy one new. They look good, feel good and last better than anything else.

For those, like me, where nothing fits as well as a Corbin...

I have a 1150GS seat available....alll black and in great shape...

$450.00 plus shipping

Pictures available...

SEAT SOLD....

Last edited:
Back