Thread: voltage draw on stock 2014 R1200RT? "meep meep"

Question voltage draw on stock 2014 R1200RT? "meep meep"

In the process of upgrading the pitiful stock horn on a 2014 R1200RT to a Denali Soundbomb mini from Twisted Throttle. Denali rates the Sfoundbomb mini @ 6 amps

Anyone know the amps draw on a 2014 R1200RT stock horn?

Stock Horn Nomenclature:
    Clarton Horn 00.1163 70/388.1163 Made in Spain 12V 335Hz

Sympton: short bursts the Soundbomb mini works like a champ @ 113db, yet when I hold down the horn it goes from a consistent BEEP to intermittent bursts almost like Morse Code, eventually it just shuts down, then nothin'. After I turn the bike off, the horn works again, repeat. Sounds like the Canbus is shutting down the circuit because of a difference in draw.(?) I don't have a '911 to check, so I'm guessing, thus my question

I have confirmed through Twisted Throttle and Denali the horn is installed properly. I also used a "plug & play" custom wiring harness from twisted throttle.

Thanks in advance. . .

The stock horn uses somewhere between 3 and 5 amps. An air compressor type horn can use up to 20 amps. You will need a relay to drive one.
    MOA #107139
    RA #28511

I don't know the amp draw, but pretty sure the current horn is drawing more then the ECM likes. Either wire in a relay off the battery, or run the stock horn.

Fortis Fortuna Adiuvat Omega Man's Avatar
    Using the “Tag Cloud” I came up with this relay wiring example-

https://forums.bmwmoa.org/showthread...h-2007-R1200RT

OM
    "You can do good or you can do well. Sooner or later they make you choose." MI5
    Mod Squad
    2009 F800GS 1994 TW200

What they said, you need a relay.
    Pat

Ride Safe!
    '16 RT

Mehrten

HEX ezCan

Another alternative to a basic relay is the HEX ezCAN.

When I put two FIAMMS on the OEM circuit on our 2016 R1200RS, even without the OEM horn, I got the same results - a good honk, then a beep, then nothing.

I put a HEX ezCAN on and connected two horns, leaving the stock horn in place, and added some rear lights. Works as advertised.

https://hexezcan.com/

This forum is turning out to be quite valuable; thanks for all the great advice fellow Beemers'. . . I'm likin' that HEX EzCAN contraption.

My two options, please chime in. . .

1. I have an extra Neutrino Bluetooth power distribution module (PDM) I can install, and run Denali SoundBomb mini through it, here: https://www.neutrinoblackbox.com/

or,

2. Relay (if Relay, can someone recommend a trigger wire, color, and specific location?)

Kindest regards,

-Bob

Fortis Fortuna Adiuvat Omega Man's Avatar
    Glad you are enjoying the forum.
    Some more light reading- https://forums.bmwmoa.org/showthread...s-2003-k1200gt
    Gary
    "You can do good or you can do well. Sooner or later they make you choose." MI5
    Mod Squad
    2009 F800GS 1994 TW200

Quote Originally Posted by kunkies View Post
    This forum is turning out to be quite valuable; thanks for all the great advice fellow Beemers'. . . I'm likin' that HEX EzCAN contraption.

My two options, please chime in. . .

1. I have an extra Neutrino Bluetooth power distribution module (PDM) I can install, and run Denali SoundBomb mini through it, here: https://www.neutrinoblackbox.com/

or,

2. Relay (if Relay, can someone recommend a trigger wire, color, and specific location?)

Kindest regards,

-Bob
    The wire that terminates at the OEM horn, just run that to the coil terminal of the relay. The relay will take less current that the OEM horn so the ECM will not care. The relay is the cheapest, simplest way to do it. The various Canbus controllers will work to , but over kill unless you have other items you want to control.

Quote Originally Posted by kunkies View Post
    In the process of upgrading the pitiful stock horn on a 2014 R1200RT to a Denali Soundbomb mini from Twisted Throttle. Denali rates the Sfoundbomb mini @ 6 amps

Anyone know the amps draw on a 2014 R1200RT stock horn?

Stock Horn Nomenclature:
    Clarton Horn 00.1163 70/388.1163 Made in Spain 12V 335Hz

Sympton: short bursts the Soundbomb mini works like a champ @ 113db, yet when I hold down the horn it goes from a consistent BEEP to intermittent bursts almost like Morse Code, eventually it just shuts down, then nothin'. After I turn the bike off, the horn works again, repeat. Sounds like the Canbus is shutting down the circuit because of a difference in draw.(?) I don't have a '911 to check, so I'm guessing, thus my question

I have confirmed through Twisted Throttle and Denali the horn is installed properly. I also used a "plug & play" custom wiring harness from twisted throttle.

Thanks in advance. . .
    This is a case of not doing the homework you need to do when modifying electrical circuits. Your treating this problem like many others do , thinking that replacing one electrical device with a different one is like changing a lightbulb in a socket with a brighter lightbulb. You couldn’t be more wrong. Even on old bikes you should install any high energy component in place of a smaller device by employing an interfacing relay to operate the new higher capacity component. One capable of handling a 10 amp load @ 12 vdc in your case. You actually need the extra capacity because the voltage in the horn circuit will actually drop below the rated 12 vdc and draw more than the rated 6 amps you quoted when that happens. The small load the new relay will pull should keep you below the stock horn rating and the CANBUS system may not have an issue with the new relay. The new wiring you will need to run from your battery ( with a new fuse in line with the + side) should also be rated for a 10 amp load. After that you will be able to blow your ears off with your new horn. One more thing, make sure you use some automotive split wiring duct to protect the wires from the battery.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk