• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

MadStad Engineering - Brooksville, FL

jimbc

Hello

Does anyone with an 85 to 87 mono live close to MadStad Engineering in Brooksville, FL?

I emailed them regarding one of their brackets/shields for my 85 R80.

They told me the only way to make one is to get their paws on an actual bike.

For me that's difficult as I live in Ontario, Canada :)

Here's hoping.

Try checking your Anonymous Book. There are four listings for Brooksville. Give them a call and see if someone can help you!

You specified the years, but not the model you have. Different bars for the standard, RT and RS models. :dunno

Are you a member of the Airheads MOA chartered club (MOA 214) (www.airheads.org) Lots of members in FL.

Friedle

He did say R80.

I should have been more specific Paul. There are different handlebars on the three different types I mentioned, ie: standard, RS and RT. Standard bars will not be optimal for an RT, but RT bars won't fit an RS. Is that clearer? They are all R80 bikes.

Friedle

I should have been more specific Paul. There are different handlebars on the three different types I mentioned, ie: standard, RS and RT. Standard bars will not be optimal for an RT, but RT bars won't fit an RS. Is that clearer? They are all R80 bikes.

Friedle

Yes. When he said R80 I presumed R80, not R80RT or R80RS.

It's an R80 with "US" bars. My avatar shows the bike with the "euro" bars.

Not a member of airheads.org.

Last edited:
It's an R80 with "US" bars. My avatar shows the bike with the "euro" bars.

Not a member of airheads.org.

Finally ! Now that it has been determined which handlebars you have on your machine, the vendor should be able to determine which shield will fit with the particular shape, size and bend of your handlebars.

Still a very good idea to consider joining the Airheads. Somebody may have just the shield you are looking for.

Friedle

This is the reply from MadStad when I asked if they made a bracket/shield for my bike.

"Unfortunately we do not have a system for your model in our lineup. Our development focus is on later models, but if you happen to reside in or plan on being in Florida with your bike, we may be able to work with you on a build."

Hence my asking if a member lives close to them.

You may have better luck looking at an alternative that DOES routinely produce shields for our airheads. I’d suggest checking with Parabellum at http://parabellum.com. They are still very much in the business of BMW windshields, make a quality product, and are good folks to deal with.

No interest in the company, just a satisfied customer,

Best,
DG

I have a National Cycle Deflector screen on my 86 R80 and like it very much. The clamps were a tight fit on mine as it has short and low "S" handlebars. I also have a Deflector screen on my KTM 390 Duke. They provide enough wind protection to allow travel at highway speeds, with the least buffeting I have encountered from a windscreen. The KTM had more handlebar space, so I used their Quick Set mounts. The limited space on the R80 required the U-mounts. These screens are Lexan, which is less likely to shatter than acrylic snidely and they are fairly cheap, less than $140 if I recall correctly.

GT Rider

I have a Parabellum Scout. The coverage is great. Gets the wind blast off my chest. It did create buffeting on my helmet that caused my nose to itch. Worse was a "noise" that even my ear plugs can't help with. This noise hurts the ears and is very tiring.

I trimmed the shield, got rid of the buffeting, but the "noise" was still there. I removed the screen completely just leaving the fairing portion on the bike, "noise" still there.

I removed the Scout and found that in clean air the "noise" was gone. So I tried putting my left hand on top of the gauge cluster, palm towards me, and found this produces the same tiring "noise".

Anytime

I'm also checking out National Cycle and any others that fit. Their reasonable cost means it won't bother me to modify with them.

The main thing I like about MadStad is the range of adjustments their brackets allow.

Take care

Back