Thread: MadStad Engineering - Brooksville, FL

MadStad Engineering - Brooksville, FL

Hello

Does anyone with an 85 to 87 mono live close to MadStad Engineering in Brooksville, FL?

I emailed them regarding one of their brackets/shields for my 85 R80.

They told me the only way to make one is to get their paws on an actual bike.

For me that's difficult as I live in Ontario, Canada

Here's hoping.
    1985 R80 Original owner, 1982 Yamaha XS400J 2nd owner

Try checking your Anonymous Book. There are four listings for Brooksville. Give them a call and see if someone can help you!
    Kurt -- Forum Liaison ---> Resources and Links Thread <---
    '78 R100/7 & '69 R69S & '52 R25/2
    mine-ineye-deatheah-pielayah-jooa-kalayus. oolah-minane-hay-meeriah-kal-oyus-algay-a-thaykin', buddy!

Good idea. Thanks.

'99 '03 '06 National Co-Rally Chair Friedle's Avatar
    You specified the years, but not the model you have. Different bars for the standard, RT and RS models.

Are you a member of the Airheads MOA chartered club (MOA 214) (www.airheads.org) Lots of members in FL.

Friedle
    Ride fast safely

Quote Originally Posted by Friedle View Post
    You specified the years, but not the model you have. Different bars for the standard, RT and RS models.

Are you a member of the Airheads MOA chartered club (MOA 214) (www.airheads.org) Lots of members in FL.

Friedle
    He did say R80.
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://web.bigbend.net/~glaves/

Quote Originally Posted by PGlaves View Post
    He did say R80.
    I should have been more specific Paul. There are different handlebars on the three different types I mentioned, ie: standard, RS and RT. Standard bars will not be optimal for an RT, but RT bars won't fit an RS. Is that clearer? They are all R80 bikes.

Friedle
    Ride fast safely

Quote Originally Posted by Friedle View Post
    I should have been more specific Paul. There are different handlebars on the three different types I mentioned, ie: standard, RS and RT. Standard bars will not be optimal for an RT, but RT bars won't fit an RS. Is that clearer? They are all R80 bikes.

Friedle
    Yes. When he said R80 I presumed R80, not R80RT or R80RS.
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://web.bigbend.net/~glaves/

It's an R80 with "US" bars. My avatar shows the bike with the "euro" bars.

Not a member of airheads.org.
    Last edited by jimbc; 02-05-2019 at 09:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jimbc View Post
    It's an R80 with "US" bars. My avatar shows the bike with the "euro" bars.

Not a member of airheads.org.
    Finally ! Now that it has been determined which handlebars you have on your machine, the vendor should be able to determine which shield will fit with the particular shape, size and bend of your handlebars.

Still a very good idea to consider joining the Airheads. Somebody may have just the shield you are looking for.

Friedle
    Ride fast safely

This is the reply from MadStad when I asked if they made a bracket/shield for my bike.

"Unfortunately we do not have a system for your model in our lineup. Our development focus is on later models, but if you happen to reside in or plan on being in Florida with your bike, we may be able to work with you on a build."

Hence my asking if a member lives close to them.

You may have better luck looking at an alternative that DOES routinely produce shields for our airheads. Id suggest checking with Parabellum at http://parabellum.com. They are still very much in the business of BMW windshields, make a quality product, and are good folks to deal with.

No interest in the company, just a satisfied customer,

Best,
    DG
    DGerber
    1983 R80ST 1984 R80 G/S PD 1993 R100GS 2004 K1200GT w/Hannigan S/C 2010 K1300GT
    BMWMOA#52184, AMA#271542, IBA#138

I have a National Cycle Deflector screen on my 86 R80 and like it very much. The clamps were a tight fit on mine as it has short and low "S" handlebars. I also have a Deflector screen on my KTM 390 Duke. They provide enough wind protection to allow travel at highway speeds, with the least buffeting I have encountered from a windscreen. The KTM had more handlebar space, so I used their Quick Set mounts. The limited space on the R80 required the U-mounts. These screens are Lexan, which is less likely to shatter than acrylic snidely and they are fairly cheap, less than $140 if I recall correctly.
    BMW R bike rider, horizontally opposed to everything...

GT Rider

I have a Parabellum Scout. The coverage is great. Gets the wind blast off my chest. It did create buffeting on my helmet that caused my nose to itch. Worse was a "noise" that even my ear plugs can't help with. This noise hurts the ears and is very tiring.

I trimmed the shield, got rid of the buffeting, but the "noise" was still there. I removed the screen completely just leaving the fairing portion on the bike, "noise" still there.

I removed the Scout and found that in clean air the "noise" was gone. So I tried putting my left hand on top of the gauge cluster, palm towards me, and found this produces the same tiring "noise".

Anytime

I'm also checking out National Cycle and any others that fit. Their reasonable cost means it won't bother me to modify with them.

The main thing I like about MadStad is the range of adjustments their brackets allow.

Take care