• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Tank bag

lstayner

I have been kicking around a small tank bag for the RT. Mainly something with easy access to put glasses, phone and a couple maps in. I have looked at the SW-Motech Daypack and the Oxford Q4R bags. They both have their advantages and disadvantages. Are there any other brands and model I should consider?

Below is the Hepco & Becker "Tourer M" tank bag for the 2014-2019 R1200RT models These bags come in various sizes and mount nicely with the magnetic "6-bolt pattern Lock-it Tank Ring" around the filler cap. You do not have to loosen or remove straps to put gas in the tank and the bag never touches the tank to scratch the paint.

https://bmwdean.com/tank-bag.jpg

A critical issue for me regarding tank bags is how easy is it to put gas in the tank? Do you have to loosen one or more straps? If so, it is not for me.

The best tank bag ever was made by BMW for the 2005-2013 R1200RTs with a mounting grid that came standard on all RTs. Sadly, BMW dropped it for 2014-2019. Here is the tank-bag mounting grid that once was:

https://bmwdean.com/tank-bag-2007.htm

Last edited:
Take a look at what RKA has to offer.
Small family owned US based company. Great products and nice people.

Joe

Joe

+1 on RKA. Richard and Kathy make a great product and have probably the best customer service around. Seriously, check them out.

Touratech makes a nice one....

I have the small one from Touratech and it's perfect for just a few essentials that you want to get to quickly. The mounting system is especially nice and stable. This bag is great for a wallet, sunglasses, and a few other odds and ends. Highly recommended.

Screen Shot 2019-02-04 at 10.05.17 PM.png

I gotta plug RKA as well, 13L Shilo Road has been great. Well built, grand capacity, and I really like the internal charging options.

Joe

I see RKA only makes bags that strap on. Can you convince me as to why I want strap on vs. a tank support system? Taking the straps off for refueling looks like it could be a pain.

Thanks,

I see RKA only makes bags that strap on. Can you convince me as to why I want strap on vs. a tank support system? Taking the straps off for refueling looks like it could be a pain.

Thanks,

I am about as anal as you can get and swore I'd never ever use a tank bag with the fear of scratching the tank. I never even used the BMW Bag on my 2006 RT that mounted on the rack. BUT ... when I got the 2016 RTW it has less storage space and 2 riding buddies had raved about he GIVI System after trying and not liking the SW_Motech product. So I bit the bullet and got the GIVI small hard sided bag with the Tank Lock system and I love it! I am sold. Easy on and off ... no straps and never a chance to scratch the paint as it never touches the paint. Also with the GIVI Tank Lock system you can use the same bracket to mount any of their Tank Lock bags.

Can you convince me as to why I want strap on vs. a tank support system?

To be honest, no I can't. I've only used a strap-secured tank bag on all my motorcycles so I have no comparison. Fueling up has not been an issue for me.
Maybe someone else will chime in.

Joe

Thanks,

I've never had a RKA bag but the strap bags we have owned only required one or two FastTeck buckles to be unclipped and reclipped at gas stops.
Most times there was no reason to adjust any straps.
We currently have SW Motech tank bags with tank rings for mounts and there's very little difference time wise dealing with the tank bag at gas stops.

Bags like SW Motech and Givi have the advantage of not touching the tank but I never had much problem with strap bags scratching the top of the tank.

Most of our bikes end up with scuffs on the side of the tank from our knees and very little scuffs on top of the tank.

In this picture you can see the FastTech type buckles.
I would unclip the front two and slide the bag back at gas stops.
P1000507.JPG

P1000508.JPG

I've never had a RKA bag but the strap bags we have owned only required one or two FastTeck buckles to be unclipped and reclipped at gas stops.
Most times there was no reason to adjust any straps.
We currently have SW Motech tank bags with tank rings for mounts and there's very little difference time wise dealing with the tank bag at gas stops.

Bags like SW Motech and Givi have the advantage of not touching the tank but I never had much problem with strap bags scratching the top of the tank.

Most of our bikes end up with scuffs on the side of the tank from our knees and very little scuffs on top of the tank.

I had a post-2014 BMW RT tank bag. I did not like the straps and gave it away. Now I use the Hepco & Becker "Tourer M" tank bag -- no straps. Easy fueling.

I am about as anal as you can get and swore I'd never ever use a tank bag with the fear of scratching the tank. I never even used the BMW Bag on my 2006 RT that mounted on the rack. BUT ... when I got the 2016 RTW it has less storage space and 2 riding buddies had raved about he GIVI System after trying and not liking the SW_Motech product. So I bit the bullet and got the GIVI small hard sided bag with the Tank Lock system and I love it! I am sold. Easy on and off ... no straps and never a chance to scratch the paint as it never touches the paint. Also with the GIVI Tank Lock system you can use the same bracket to mount any of their Tank Lock bags.

I'm happy with SW_Motech and I've never had any issue with scratching.

SideShot_25.jpg

SideCloseup_25.jpg

I'm happy with SW_Motech and I've never had any issue with scratching.

View attachment 72552

View attachment 72551

I should clarify ... the issues my buddies had with the SW Motech were not at all related to scratching. The SW Motech and GIVI systems are very similar and I am sure neither touch the tank and hence should eliminate any concerns about scratching. My riding buddies just felt the GIVI mechanism worked much better and easier than the SW Motech. I would consider both over ANY bag that rests on the tank .... but again I am the anal guy with 3 size Q-tips in my cleaning kit carried not he bike :heh :eek :ha

I have used the BM/w RT bag for 6 years and never had a scratch issue. I have an SW Motech on my XR and like it also. However a tank ring will sit higher that a strap bag. Both take about the same time when getting fuel. I don't like the idea of a hard bag on the tank. Sometimes on a long trip I will lay forward on the bag to stretch my back plus the hard bag looks dorky. You can lock the ring bag easier however I just use a small cable and lock on the BMW bag.

I have the Givi on my GS like what gsinnc shows in his gorgeous RT pic. Does not touch the tank, it's rigid, and has a lever to pop it off the mounting ring. Removal and installation not an issue when fueling the bike.

I have used the BM/w RT bag for 6 years and never had a scratch issue. I have an SW Motech on my XR and like it also. However a tank ring will sit higher that a strap bag. Both take about the same time when getting fuel. I don't like the idea of a hard bag on the tank. Sometimes on a long trip I will lay forward on the bag to stretch my back plus the hard bag looks dorky. You can lock the ring bag easier however I just use a small cable and lock on the BMW bag.

Agreed! If you are looking for max storage and flexible sides the GIVI I have is probably not for you. But you can use any of the other GIVI tank lock bags all of which are not hard sided with the tank lock. But yes they will sit about a 1/2 inch higher.

Back