Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Tank bag

Quote Originally Posted by alegerlotz View Post
    I'm happy with SW_Motech and I've never had any issue with scratching.

Attachment 72552

Attachment 72551
    I should clarify ... the issues my buddies had with the SW Motech were not at all related to scratching. The SW Motech and GIVI systems are very similar and I am sure neither touch the tank and hence should eliminate any concerns about scratching. My riding buddies just felt the GIVI mechanism worked much better and easier than the SW Motech. I would consider both over ANY bag that rests on the tank .... but again I am the anal guy with 3 size Q-tips in my cleaning kit carried not he bike
    Ed Apelian
    Motorcycling is my passion because golf is far too dangerous!
    2012 R1200GSA Magma Red!
    2016 R1200RT- Platinum Bronze

Thanks for the input guys!
    Never get to busy making a living that you forget to make a life.

2018 R1200 RT- 10K miles and counting

I have used the BM/w RT bag for 6 years and never had a scratch issue. I have an SW Motech on my XR and like it also. However a tank ring will sit higher that a strap bag. Both take about the same time when getting fuel. I don't like the idea of a hard bag on the tank. Sometimes on a long trip I will lay forward on the bag to stretch my back plus the hard bag looks dorky. You can lock the ring bag easier however I just use a small cable and lock on the BMW bag.
    Buck in Greensboro, NC
    2013 R 1200 RT Midnight Blue - traded, 2014 R 1200 RT Ebony Metallic, 2016 S 1000 XR

I have the Givi on my GS like what gsinnc shows in his gorgeous RT pic. Does not touch the tank, it's rigid, and has a lever to pop it off the mounting ring. Removal and installation not an issue when fueling the bike.
    2016 R1200GSW

Quote Originally Posted by bdfbeemer View Post
    I have used the BM/w RT bag for 6 years and never had a scratch issue. I have an SW Motech on my XR and like it also. However a tank ring will sit higher that a strap bag. Both take about the same time when getting fuel. I don't like the idea of a hard bag on the tank. Sometimes on a long trip I will lay forward on the bag to stretch my back plus the hard bag looks dorky. You can lock the ring bag easier however I just use a small cable and lock on the BMW bag.
    Agreed! If you are looking for max storage and flexible sides the GIVI I have is probably not for you. But you can use any of the other GIVI tank lock bags all of which are not hard sided with the tank lock. But yes they will sit about a 1/2 inch higher.
    Ed Apelian
    2012 R1200GSA Magma Red!

Quote Originally Posted by beemermyke View Post
    I have the Givi on my GS like what gsinnc shows in his gorgeous RT pic. Does not touch the tank, it's rigid, and has a lever to pop it off the mounting ring. Removal and installation not an issue when fueling the bike.
    Thanks beemermyke .... I sometimes wish I was not quite so anal! And yes you can't get any easier on/off system than the GIVI. One lever off and then just rest it back in place and it snaps in. easy peasy!
    Ed Apelian
    2012 R1200GSA Magma Red!

Quote Originally Posted by lstayner View Post
    I see RKA only makes bags that strap on. Can you convince me as to why I want strap on vs. a tank support system? Taking the straps off for refueling looks like it could be a pain.

Thanks,
    I sent you a PM about a SW Motech bag my wife is no longer using. But as for straps, I used a soldering iron to punch two holes in the webbing and my straps are now screwed in and have no flapping. I have an RKA Shiloh on my K1600GT and fueling is no problem. The SW bag I mentioned is also no problem when fueling as it has a spring that locks it to the tank ring. Either way they're not much trouble.
    CW
    '06 F650GS Dakar, 2016 K1600GT
    See you on down the road!

I had the dealer I purchased my 18' XR from install the SW-Motech Engage tank bag with electric option. I like the option to keep my phone charged.
    Duane Pandorf
    --------------------
    Blog | 2018 S1000XR

Quote Originally Posted by lstayner View Post
    I see RKA only makes bags that strap on. Can you convince me as to why I want strap on vs. a tank support system? Taking the straps off for refueling looks like it could be a pain.

Thanks,
    I've used both the SW Motech system, an Enduristan water proof bag, and currently have an RKA bag. I much prefer the latter for it's utility and charging capabilities. I also second the comment about RKA's customer service, it is excellent.

Regarding your question, the straps have large clips that are easy to un- and re-fasten. I don't find much difference between it and the SW Motech system in terms of convenience. FYI, or FWIW, I participate in Iron Butt rally events so speedy refueling is important to me. Ultimately, however it is a personal preference and needs to fit your requirements.
    Scott

1995 R1100R (RIP); 1999 R1100RTP (sold); 2005 R1150R Rockster; 2016 R1200RT