• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

06 RT Electrical Gremlins

tasslehawf

Battery is 100% fully charged and brand new as of a few weeks ago.

Replaced the battery after the holidays when I found it had somehow been discharged to 4.8v on its own (sat about a week over the holidays).

Got the new battery in there one morning and tried to ride to work, but the bikes power shut off completely during the ride and would not come back on.

I found that if I removed and replaced the battery lead, it bike will come back on.

These are the codes I found the last time I ran the diagnostic tool:

Fault Codes : 4
|
41704 : KL30 (Battery positive) under voltage
Currently present : NO
Symptom : Signal or value under threshold
Engine warning light (MIL) : NO
Frequency count : 1
Logistic(Healing) count : 39
Fault Code History : Unknown
|
41721 : Park light short-circuit
Symptom : Signal or value over threshold
Engine warning light (MIL) : YES
Frequency count : 10
Logistic(Healing) count : 40
|
41722 : Park light open-circuit
Symptom : No signal or value
Engine warning light (MIL) : YES
Frequency count : 36
Logistic(Healing) count : 39
|
41758 : Battery Positive (KL30) over-voltage
Symptom : Signal or value over threshold
Engine warning light (MIL) : NO
Frequency count : 6
Logistic(Healing) count : 40

Any accessories tapped off the parking lights? Such as a relay for lighting?

A complete shutdown you described in the other thread is a head scratcher. Are you seeing EWS on the display at any point?

One other thought is the starter relay. Have not had an RT here to look at and I am not remembering, but on the R and GS it is located under the tool tray under saddle. On those models, the tiny drain hole in tray gets blocked and the relay will sit in water until it fails from corrosion.

It should be black on these models

Back