Thread: 1200RT vs 1200RTW

1200RT vs 1200RTW

Its time to upgrade to 1200RT. My current bike is 1100RT, which I've had for 9 years.

Can I get comments on RT or RTW?

Thank you!
    '87 K75S sold 94578 vin150106
    MOA138871
    '80R65 Bronco brown sold
    '99 R1100rt Opal Blue

I have owned 2 RTs and a GS:

2003 1150RT - Rode coast to coast to coast on this bike. Including an entire day in Michigan in torrential rain (2 to 3" of water on the road). No issues once the initial surging issue was solved. Motor was great but vibrated badly under full throttle. Loved the body lines

2007 1200RT - Much improved over the 1150. No surging, more power, better fuel mileage, better handling. I regret letting this one go after 53k miles. Only "issue" was that there was no drain hole for the final drive.

2014 Triumph Trophy SE - Mistake!

2017 1200GSW - More comfortable 1-up than the RT. More power, smoother than the 1200 oil cooled motor. Worse fuel mileage (but the GS has different gearing than the RT). No bowden box or cables meaning no TB syncing required. Drive modes, cornering ABS, smoother shifting gear box, keyless start, LED headlight, etc. This will be my last bike (or so I currently think!)
    MOA #107139
    RA #28511

I have had,

2011 R1200RT, great bike for the money when buying a nice used one that's been taken care of. I put about 6K miles on this bike. It's a nice big step up from my Honda ST

2014 R1200RTW, even better than the 2011 RT in every way. More power, feels lighter, great wind deflection and aerodynamics. Going from the 2011 to the 2014 was like going from my ST to the 2011.

If you get a newer RTW you won't be disappointed. If you buy an older RT, make sure you never ride a newer one. It's small changes, but make a big impact.

This is just my thoughts and I put about 11K on the 2014 RTW.

There were changes in each bike through the years, so do some research and try to ride them before you buy..

Thank you for the comments.

Very helpful.
    '87 K75S sold 94578 vin150106
    MOA138871
    '80R65 Bronco brown sold
    '99 R1100rt Opal Blue

The clutch not in need of a high $$$ spline lube means the RTW is what I would buy.
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://web.bigbend.net/~glaves/

Krmugin
    FWIW, my 2012 RT doesn't need regular spline lube. I'm still on the original clutch, at 70,000 miles. Curious how long it will last...

I haven't ridden the new(er) RTW, as I believe what others have said about the new ones being better. TB synch isn't much of an issue, as it only needs to be done when you adjust the valves. Overall, it's a pretty simple process. It takes me longer to warm the bike up, after a valve adjustment, than it does to adjust the TB synch. I've not adjusted a valve for 20,000 miles, but the drive by wire (and associated driving modes) is very interesting. I check the valves every 5,000 miles, they just don't need much adjusting.

I talked to a mechanic friend, and they told me that, while the wet clutch water boxers don't need to be split in half to do a clutch change, there are three issues, that might be worth considering, and making your own conclusion as to their relative merits. First, the cost is about the same for either style clutch switch. The parts for the water boxer are more expensive, but the labor is much less. Second, the durability of the dry clutch is much better than the wet clutch. I'd imagine that ease of maintenance is worth the cost, especially if you're a do it yourselfer like me. I dread the thought of spending 12 hours splitting my bike in half to do the clutch, when the time comes. If I were skilled at the procedure (at 70,000 miles per clutch, I never will be...) I'm sure that time could be cut down quite a lot. Third, the water boxers have got a traditional stator, and have dispensed with the traditional (for BMW) Alternator. That means, if your stator goes bad... You get the split the bike in half anyway...

Having gone from an 1150 Rt to a 2012 RT, not much was better on the 1150. I'm sure that is also the case with the water boxers. I'm very excited to see what happens to the prices of the water boxers, as people with more money than I buy the new shift cam bikes.

...and there's the Wethead alternator location requiring that the engine be removed and then split in half should it fail. They seem to be very reliable based on the lack of reported failures though (there are a few here and there but it's very low given the numbers sold). That's north of $2,000 if it does go after the warranty expires.
    '13 R1200RT 90th Anniversary Edition

Addicted to windshields Realshelby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by kurmugin View Post

I talked to a mechanic friend, and they told me that, while the wet clutch water boxers don't need to be split in half to do a clutch change, there are three issues, that might be worth considering, and making your own conclusion as to their relative merits. First, the cost is about the same for either style clutch switch. The parts for the water boxer are more expensive, but the labor is much less. Second, the durability of the dry clutch is much better than the wet clutch.
    Don't know about the cost of replacement parts. But anyone that thinks the Wethead wet clutch isn't holding up WAY better than the dry clutches in earlier Boxers is acting a fool. Simple as that.

Yet another opportunity to remind that the #1 customer for BMW R1200RT is police forces. In recent years BMW has expanded its police market significantly--can you say USA--and they got the feedback messages regarding clutch replacements.

For me, I remain turned off by Wetheads because
    I don't want a water cooled bike
    My Camhead has the best tankbag system in the history of tankbags, and BMW abandoned that for Wetheads
    On a Wethead, you have to scroll through a dashboard menu to turn on/off heated grips ... which is ridiculous.

That's about it ... pretty silly, right?
    Kent Christensen
    '12 R1200RT, '02 R1100S, '84 R80G/S

Quote Originally Posted by lkchris View Post
    Yet another opportunity to remind that the #1 customer for BMW R1200RT is police forces. In recent years BMW has expanded its police market significantly--can you say USA--and they got the feedback messages regarding clutch replacements.

For me, I remain turned off by Wetheads because
    I don't want a water cooled bike
    My Camhead has the best tankbag system in the history of tankbags, and BMW abandoned that for Wetheads
    On a Wethead, you have to scroll through a dashboard menu to turn on/off heated grips ... which is ridiculous.

That's about it ... pretty silly, right?
    On my 17 GSA the heated grips are controlled by a button on the handlebars. No scrolling required.
    Kevin Huddy
    Tm Pterodactyl's MT Outpost
    2017 R1200GSA & 2013 FJR