Thread: 2011 R1200GS Handlebar vibration, risers

2011 R1200GS Handlebar vibration, risers

I have the above bike now for 18 months. I really don't care to ride it much. I have four bikes and I really like my GS 1150 better. a lot better. as to the 2011.. I thought I would but I don't really like the experience of riding on the highway. Asking myself why I have come up with the following.... I feel vibration from either the road and or the engine coming up through my hands. I installed Grip Puppys with a great deal of satisfaction. Helped a lot, but still.. ugh.. I have a 1200 LT that I literally love going down the highway. I obviously prefer the four cylinder sound and smoothness... but i prefer the GS ability to go off road and camp. Considering ROX anti vibe pivoting risers since I feel like part of my uncomfort going down the highway is that my grip is pitched forward and thus, I have tension in my back and neck which gets worse over time. Four hours on the road is terrible.

So rather than sell the bike and take a huge hit, will the ROX risers help in your opinion? I have the same basic opinion of road travel on my 1150, so might add it to it too... but its really more fun in the back country.. I don't worry about it as much and I like the sound better... hate the GS 1200 muffler

Paul

Have you tried to syc. the throttle cables. I know that takes some vibration out.

I haven't

I haven't tried to sync the throttle cables. It runs like I think it should and I don't have the tool to sync it. Its subtle but doesn't exist in my four banger.

I haven't

I haven't tried to sync the throttle cables. It runs like I think it should and I don't have the tool to sync it. Its subtle but doesn't exist in my four banger.

Definitely sync the throttle cables, you could be surprised. Finding someone nearby with a manometer or Twinmax or something similar should not be too difficult. I would do it for you if you lived nearby. I'm sure others would make the same offer. I have also had good success with bar end weights such as HVMP. Often just changing the frequency of the vibration works as well as reducing the amplitude. Good luck!
    Neal - '16 R1200GS / '81 R65

Quote Originally Posted by rguy View Post
    Definitely sync the throttle cables, you could be surprised. Finding someone nearby with a manometer or Twinmax or something similar should not be too difficult. I would do it for you if you lived nearby.
    It is always easier to find somebody nearby if the profile disclosed a location to be nearby to.
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://web.bigbend.net/~glaves/

I am in Phoenix and I haven't tried the anonymous book, because I hadn't thought of

syncing the carbs... my wonder was does the anti vibe really help or is it a gimmick. I know it will change my position, which may help my overall comfort level. the anti vibes are 75 more. But sounds like a gimmick. Iam f I had to bet, I would say I am just feeling the natural big boxer two cylinder at work. Just not a fan but I haven't ridden others bikes to compare it to...

Regards

Paul

To reduce handlebars vibrations, you can always try heavier bar ends.

I installed a set on my 07 and it made a noticeable difference.

Now I feel more vibrations coming from my foot pegs than from my handlebars.

These are the ones I got:
    http://www.hvmp.com/

YMMV
    Daniel
    If you can park it, and not turn around to admire it before walking away, you bought the wrong one.
    2007 R1200RT - IBA # 56396

Also try adjusting the handlebar angle down or up a bit. A small adjustment can greatly change the pressure between the shoulder blades. You will find little hash marks to show the angle. 0 (zero) worked best for me after trying different angles. Personally I hate the steering 'feel' of bar risers / backs.
    Neal - '16 R1200GS / '81 R65

found adjustable 2 inch risers on 2011 GS 1200 and installed them

Found these new on sale on ebay and installed them. Had to drop the left fork and reroute the cables and the easing of my drivers position pain seems markedly improved. I am more upright and less charlie horses in my back are occurring