• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Zumo & BaseCamp - What Goes Wrong and Why

lkraus

This link should be saved and cherished by everyone who uses Basecamp with a recent Zumo or Navigator:
[url]https://issuu.com/jfheath/docs/zumo_590_and_basecamp_2017[/URL]

"Cherished" might seem little strong, but not to those of us who have had to rely on trial and error to discover how Garmin expected these two products to work together.

Think of it as the route building manual that Garmin should have provided with every recent Zumo or Navigator. Definitions of terms, what the options mean, how BC interacts with the Zumo/Navigator units, how and when the route is recalculated, transportation modes vs Activity Profiles, and much more, all clearly explained and illustrated with examples. This article answers so many questions it should be required reading. After two years of frustration, aborted rides, web searching and experimentation I'd only learned a portion of what is compiled here. 

The author, John Heath, still revises and updates the article as new information comes to light. To be certain that only the most current and correct version is used, he requests that only links to this web version be shared.

John also has a YouTube playlist on this topic: 13 BaseCamp Videos for PC - Issues when using with Zumo Trip Planner In his words: "The video link is also a clickable link on the last page of section 3 in the document itself. This isn't a BaseCamp 'How To' reference - there are plenty of those around much better than I could create - but these relate specifically to the issue of preparing routes for use with the Zumo Trip Planner units."

I suppose thats a good tutorial for a beginning user.

Joe

You don't have to be a beginner user to get help from this manual.
A lot of folks ride around with these expensive devices on their bikes and hardly ever get any real use out of the units.
Most people don't really understand how the units really work.
But if you are tired of looking at that expensive GPS on your bikes dash and want to finally use it to it's full extend, check out this guide.
Now that the snow is piling up high, it is a good time to sharpen your skills in making routes for the upcoming riding season.

A lot of folks ride around with these expensive devices on their bikes and hardly ever get any real use out of the units.
Most people don't really understand how the units really work.

Now that the snow is piling up high, it is a good time to sharpen your skills in making routes for the upcoming riding season.

Well...like I said. Its a good tutorial for beginners.

It won't take me all winter to create routes...more like 10 minutes.

Joe

Download...

You can join and register at BMWSportTouring.com and then download a copy, or receive updates from the author as he modifies it.

Hi - I am a registered member at bmwsporttouring.com, but I cannot find the file to download. Can you please provide a link to it?

Forget about Basecamp.

The answer is to use Tyre To Travel. It’s so easy to use compared to Basecrap. Just remember to make your first route point a waypoint, otherwise it doesn’t work.

Back