Thread: RDC - Tyre Pressure Monitoring - R1200RTW 2016

RDC - Tyre Pressure Monitoring - R1200RTW 2016

My bike come equiped with RDC, which will show me the current temperature adjusted pressures for both front and back tyres. According to the manual, RDC will give a warning if pressures are close to the permitted tollerance, and another warning if below the permittd tollerance. With pressure recomendations being 38 and 42 psi, at what pressures are these warnings displayed?

Quote Originally Posted by stinkypete View Post
    My bike come equiped with RDC, which will show me the current temperature adjusted pressures for both front and back tyres. According to the manual, RDC will give a warning if pressures are close to the permitted tollerance, and another warning if below the permittd tollerance. With pressure recomendations being 38 and 42 psi, at what pressures are these warnings displayed?
    I have no idea for that system. But for the aftermarket systems I have used it is usually a drop of 15% and an overpresure of about 10%. I have had three different aftermarket systems. They are generally accurate within a pound or so. But the real benefit is the alarm system. Once I set pressures with a reliable gauge I then look for changes and don't stress about the displayed number. It is the blinking and audible alarm that is valuable.
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://web.bigbend.net/~glaves/

My '16 RS gave me the warning in the mid 20's tire pressure when I picked up a nail. The dash automatically went to tire pressure display, also. I don't know when it will come on when the problem is neglect.

Frank
    '17 R1200RS 19,000 mi. '03 R1100S BCR#6/200 13,000 mi. '85 K100/1100RS 326,000 mi. '16 R1200RS (gone) '11 R1200RT (gone) '05 R1200ST (gone) '99 R1100S (gone) '96 Ducati 900SS/SP (gone) '92 K100RS (gone) 500,000+ BMW miles

20 psi seems pretty low to get a first warning, and it would be nice if owners could set the pressures at which the warnings were displayed. I might have a chat with my dealer, and it may be possible to get it incorporated into a software upgrade down the track.

On my previouys bike I had the Garmin pressure monitors fitted and had set them to warn me if the pressures dropped by 4psi from my normal pressre.

I sent a message to my local BMW Service agent, and the following was included in his reply, which nicely answers my question. I've posted it here for the information of other owners.

"The warning comes on in yellow at approx. 5 psi below recommended pressure, then turns to red @ approx. 8 psi below. As a safety system, BMW do not want it lowered/changed or turned off, as in some markets it is illegal to alter or remove the system. They have been compulsory on all new vehicles in Europe since 2012 and are not allowed to be adjustable. Not sure about our Australian regs, but we have been following the Euro rules pretty closely, and I wouldn’t expect that BMW would make it different for specific markets anyway."

It seems to make a difference what ride mode the bike is in too. On my 2014 GS I dropped my tire pressures into the 20s during an off-road trip. When I was in in enduro pro mode I’d get a yellow warning light. What I would switch to dynamic mode so I could use cruise control during short pavement sections it would give me a red warning light. It would switch back to yellow soon after I reengaged enduro pro.
    14 R1200GS, 02 R1150RT (retired)

Quote Originally Posted by stinkypete View Post
    20 psi seems pretty low to get a first warning, and it would be nice if owners could set the pressures at which the warnings were displayed. I might have a chat with my dealer, and it may be possible to get it incorporated into a software upgrade down the track.
    The tire pressure monitoring system on my 2015 R1200GS beeped at me through my SENA Bluetooth connected to the Nav V unit and displayed a red triangle on the dash. It did display tire pressures: 38 psi front (nominal) and it was flashing 30 psi for the rear. Normal pressure for the rear would be 42 psi. Looking back, it may have starting flashing 32 psi on that rear tire...The main thing is that it gave me sufficient warning.

I had picked up a sliver of metal crossing Ohio. I was very thankful to get early warning of a tire going flat, enough to get me to civilization. I was able to plug the tire and get home to New York.
    My fleet: 2015 R1200GS, 2017 Toyota Prius Prime (plug-in hybrid)

Mehrten

2015 r1200rs tpms

A year ago this January on our way back from the annual SEAT ride to Laughlin and Death Valley, Wanda and I had two flats.

The first was a small bolt in the front tire. When the dash lit up like a Christmas Tree the front was at 31 or 32 lbs. The book calls for 36.

That gave us plenty of time to find a spot (the Twentynine Palms, CA Airport parking lot) to put in a plug.

The next day after visiting Wanda's sister in Hemet, CA, we were 12 miles from Yuma, AZ at Bard, CA when the dash did another Christmas Tree dance with the rear showing 36 lbs. The book calls for 42.

The rear lost air a lot faster than the front did the day before. Mainly because the nail we picked up was huge. We stopped at the Bard Post Office parking lot and put a plug in. It was Sunday and the Post Office was closed.

After experiencing a total flat at 80+ with Wanda on the back along with all our camping gear, TPM Systems are the good!

Quote Originally Posted by mehrten View Post
    A year ago this January on our way back from the annual SEAT ride to Laughlin and Death Valley, Wanda and I had two flats.

The first was a small bolt in the front tire. When the dash lit up like a Christmas Tree the front was at 31 or 32 lbs. The book calls for 36.

That gave us plenty of time to find a spot (the Twentynine Palms, CA Airport parking lot) to put in a plug.

The next day after visiting Wanda's sister in Hemet, CA, we were 12 miles from Yuma, AZ at Bard, CA when the dash did another Christmas Tree dance with the rear showing 36 lbs. The book calls for 42.

The rear lost air a lot faster than the front did the day before. Mainly because the nail we picked up was huge. We stopped at the Bard Post Office parking lot and put a plug in. It was Sunday and the Post Office was closed.

After experiencing a total flat at 80+ with Wanda on the back along with all our camping gear, TPM Systems are the good!
    Absolutely! Every time I read somebody say, "I don't need no TPS. I have a tire guage and check my pressures every day" I just grin. Oh sure they do.

It isn't the number that matters much. It is the alarm function that alerts the rider to find a good safe shady spot instead of being on the shoulder as the trucks and cars whiz by.
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://web.bigbend.net/~glaves/

Quote Originally Posted by PGlaves View Post
    Absolutely! Every time I read somebody say, "I don't need no TPS. I have a tire guage and check my pressures every day" I just grin. Oh sure they do.
    They miss the entire point it's amazing. It's certainly bonus to be able to see what pressures are w/o doing a manual check, but the safety value of being alerted when leaking air is well worth the cost IMO. When my sensors go I will cough up $$ to replace them. It's saved me a few times, once while hitting a freeway onramp when the alert came on in time for me to pull off the onramp and do the repair before getting into freeway traffic, another time when leaving for work rolling down the street I was able to see the rear was down 5psi from expected so I rode back into the garage and found the thin wire puncture. The last time was a few months ago when this deck screw embedded itself down to the hilt!
    UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_3aa2.jpgUNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_3aa4.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by ncpbmw1953 View Post
    They miss the entire point it's amazing. It's certainly bonus to be able to see what pressures are w/o doing a manual check, but the safety value of being alerted when leaking air is well worth the cost IMO. When my sensors go I will cough up $$ to replace them. It's saved me a few times, once while hitting a freeway onramp when the alert came on in time for me to pull off the onramp and do the repair before getting into freeway traffic, another time when leaving for work rolling down the street I was able to see the rear was down 5psi from expected so I rode back into the garage and found the thin wire puncture. The last time was a few months ago when this deck screw embedded itself down to the hilt!
    UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_3aa2.jpgUNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_3aa4.jpg
    Never keep your screws in your tire!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mine is a 2014 RTW w/ the pressure monitors. Is there a replacement or procedure for a malfunction while on a trip? Battery?