• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

No brake light, HELP!

joeyj55

New to my 09 G650 GS and hoping someone can help me chase down this gremlin so I can ride this thing. I've checked fuses, visually inspected all wiring I can trace and see, I have power to the front brake switch and the switch is functioning. I have no idea where the rear switch is or where the two feed wires intersect if they do at all. Any insight would be greatly appreciated. Heading to a company adventure touring ride this weekend and would like to get this put to bed before I head out.
Thanks in advance!
Joey

The brake switch is located behind the side cover above the rear brake lever.

Btw. I think your 09 G650 GS has a twin motor which are discussed in the F-Twin forum.

/Guenther

Last edited:
Thanks for the info. The 09 is one of the oddball years when they made the transition from F to G for the single lungers (fun finding parts that fit) it's essentially a F650 single.
Thanks again!

I wasn't sure either on a single or double either. I guess I would check for voltage at whatever bulb configuration there is on the back.....Perhaps a parts fiche at MAX BMW?
Welcome to the forum!
Gary

Start with the easy thing first. Check the tail light bulb, making sure it is good. Is there any after market add on tail lights? If so check the splice.

I was under the impression that the front brake switch works and the break light comes on. If so then I would check the rear break switch first.

For the single piston G650 GS the rear brake switch is located behind the rear break lever about the position of the foot peg. You may be able to follow the wire from the switch a couple of inches up to a connector. Disconnect the connector and check continuity down to the switch with an ohm meter.

The switch might have come loose and therefore the tang on the break lever no longer touches the switch.

/Guenther

Thanks for all the responses. Already checked all the basic stuff. I had to replace the tag bracket when I bought it so was able to have good access to all the wiring and test the bulb so I know all is good back there. Just not getting power to the brake light. I'm sure it's something very simple that will require complete disassembly of the bike, lol. I'll dig into the rear brake switch today.
I'm a sales rep in the powersports industry so I spend a lot of time at dealers and their parts fische and for the life of us we couldn't find a rear brake switch so I was afraid it was somehow part of the ABS system $$$$ lol. This being a transition year even the mechanics are not very experienced with it so I have to do a lot of cross referencing on every F650 model so I REALLY appreciate this forum and your help!

A clear answer is needed: When you apply the front break, does the break light come on?

If YES then it might be the rear brake light switch.

From bobsbmw.com:

'08 G650 GS, Part #61312346553, Rear stop light switch, $67.54 <- :scratch

You may find a good used switch on ebay.

/Guenther

Last edited:
A clear answer is needed: When you apply the front break, does the break light come on?

If YES then it might be the rear brake light switch.

From bobsbmw.com:

'08 G650 GS, Part #61312346553, Rear stop light switch, $67.54 <- :scratch

You may find a good used switch on ebay.

/Guenther

Brake light does not function from either the front or rear brake. I did get the rear switch off and it is definitely bad, no plunger left so I'll order one up. While nothing the Germans design surprises me I am a little puzzled that the switches are dependent on the other so hoping that fixes it. Now if I can just get it here by the weekend! Thanks for the part number Guenther you saved me some time.

switches are dependent on the other

Nope!

If you shortcut the two connectors at the switch with ignition on - bypassing the switch, does the light come on?

If not then did you check ...the bulb? ...re-check the 7.5A fuses???

/Guenther

Last edited:
Nope!

If you shortcut the two connectors at the switch with ignition on - bypassing the switch, does the light come on?

If not then did you check ...the bulb? ...re-check the 7.5A fuses???

/Guenther

So I ordered up a replacement rear switch and went ahead and clipped the wires to jump the switch and still no brake light so I've got some more digging to do. I've tested all of the fuses and the fuse block several times. Knowing my luck I'll have to disassemble the bike to fix it, lol.:banghead
In the meantime, a cooling system flush is in order and a gauge cluster bulb replacement so I'll be halfway there! lol

Just some ideas-
Does the park function (light) come on with the key on?
Have you checked for brake light with the engine running?
OM

Fuses

I had that problem on my 13 G650GS on the way to Alaska and was at Anderwerks in Calgary.

They stayed after hours and helped me tear it apart.

We looked at the fuse and it looked good but was not.

Changed the fuse and everything was OK.

Make sure you swap out the fuse with a good one. I would do the same with the bulb.

Thanks again Anderwerks. You rock.

Wayne Koppa
Grayling, MI
71,449 Life

I had that problem on my 13 G650GS on the way to Alaska and was at Anderwerks in Calgary.

They stayed after hours and helped me tear it apart.

We looked at the fuse and it looked good but was not.

Changed the fuse and everything was OK.

Make sure you swap out the fuse with a good one. I would do the same with the bulb.

Thanks again Anderwerks. You rock.

Wayne Koppa
Grayling, MI
71,449 Life

Hi Wayne,
Been down that path twice. 2nd thing I did was check the fuses with my Fluke and swapped them out just in case. Also checked with the fuses installed to confirm they were making a good connection. Also sprayed very well with contact cleaner.
Thanks!

With ABS there is an extra DIODEI-RELAY (part #61367662056, bobsbmw.com). A bit cheaper on ebay.

It contains two diodes which separate the front and rear brake switches and also connects to the ABS control unit (input only). It is the green colored relay shown on this page. Pin #4 of the relay is the 12V supply to the rear brake light.

/Guenther

SOOOOO, what a difference a day makes. As it turns out, because of the bad rear brake switch, the rear brake light was always on. Not having anything to compare it to, I naturally assumed it was the taillight. Now that I have that figured out I have discovered that I have no taillight, lol. You just can't make this stuff up! My problem is flipped.
The good news is that worse case scenario, I can run a new switched feed line if I have to but I've got 3 more days before my weekend trip so piece of cake (famous last words).
TKC70's installed, all fluids and filters changed, new chain and sprockets, cooling system flushed. New rear brake light switch arrived at the dealer today so I'll pick it up tomorrow. Just have to stage my camping gear and figure out packing.
Sorry for the rabbit trail but isn't this part of why we do this? Motorcycle Masochist that we are, lol
Cheers!

Don't waste your time redesigning the wiring on your bike. :wave

Fixing a non-functioning tail light is a easy as...bulb OK? ...bulb contact OK? ...tail light fuse (4A type) OK?

Have fun fixing it!

/Guenther

Back