Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: No brake light, HELP!

Quote Originally Posted by wkoppa View Post
    I had that problem on my 13 G650GS on the way to Alaska and was at Anderwerks in Calgary.

They stayed after hours and helped me tear it apart.

We looked at the fuse and it looked good but was not.

Changed the fuse and everything was OK.

Make sure you swap out the fuse with a good one. I would do the same with the bulb.

Thanks again Anderwerks. You rock.

Wayne Koppa
    Grayling, MI
    71,449 Life

Hi Wayne,
    Been down that path twice. 2nd thing I did was check the fuses with my Fluke and swapped them out just in case. Also checked with the fuses installed to confirm they were making a good connection. Also sprayed very well with contact cleaner.
    Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Guenther View Post
    Joey, does this GS have ABS?

/Guenther
    Yes it does.

With ABS there is an extra DIODEI-RELAY (part #61367662056, bobsbmw.com). A bit cheaper on ebay.

It contains two diodes which separate the front and rear brake switches and also connects to the ABS control unit (input only). It is the green colored relay shown on this page. Pin #4 of the relay is the 12V supply to the rear brake light.

/Guenther
    2017 F700GS

SOOOOO, what a difference a day makes. As it turns out, because of the bad rear brake switch, the rear brake light was always on. Not having anything to compare it to, I naturally assumed it was the taillight. Now that I have that figured out I have discovered that I have no taillight, lol. You just can't make this stuff up! My problem is flipped.
    The good news is that worse case scenario, I can run a new switched feed line if I have to but I've got 3 more days before my weekend trip so piece of cake (famous last words).
    TKC70's installed, all fluids and filters changed, new chain and sprockets, cooling system flushed. New rear brake light switch arrived at the dealer today so I'll pick it up tomorrow. Just have to stage my camping gear and figure out packing.
    Sorry for the rabbit trail but isn't this part of why we do this? Motorcycle Masochist that we are, lol
    Cheers!

Don't waste your time redesigning the wiring on your bike.

Fixing a non-functioning tail light is a easy as...bulb OK? ...bulb contact OK? ...tail light fuse (4A type) OK?

Have fun fixing it!

/Guenther
    2017 F700GS

With ABS there is an extra DIODEI-RELAY (part #61367662056, bobsbmw.com). A bit cheaper on ebay.

It contains two diodes which separate the front and rear brake switches and also connects to the ABS control unit (input only). It is the green colored relay shown on this page. Pin #4 of the relay is the 12V supply to the rear brake light.

/Guenther
    Hi Guenther
    Do you happen to know where this relay is located?
    I did trace the taillight wire up to the front of the bike but still no luck without tearing into the bike further. I did end up making a temporary run to the taillight so I could do my shakedown trip last weekend and everything went very well. I did discover that someone had reversed the spade connectors at the taillight so got that squared away, also. Sounds to me like that relay might very well be my culprit. I made an offering of a few turn signal lenses to the off-road gods so I need to place an order anyway so I can order up the relay.
    Thanks!

To be clear, this relay is for the brake light.

Here's the link to the relay with the diode inside:

https://www.f650gs...DiodeRepair.html

No relay for the tail light - only a 4A fuse. Reversing the spade connectors at the tail light should not be a problem unless an LED has been installed.

Seems like you are having some vendetta with the lights on your bike!

/Guenther
    2017 F700GS

To be clear, this relay is for the brake light.

Here's the link to the relay with the diode inside:

https://www.f650gs...DiodeRepair.html

No relay for the tail light - only a 4A fuse. Reversing the spade connectors at the tail light should not be a problem unless an LED has been installed.

Seems like you are having some vendetta with the lights on your bike!

/Guenther
    Thanks Guenther!
    I had already ordered the diode before realizing that the taillight connectors were switched so I might just have a spare diode now, lol. I haven't had time to work on it since but when I do I'll continue to try and trace why I have no power to the taillight. In the meantime the separate 12V feed is working fine. Now I can move on to the ProTaper handlebars and Rox risers which will require some work and relocating the ABS and 4 way flasher switches. I'm planning on going ahead and replacing the heated grips as they are pretty worn and one of the wires on one grip broke right at the grip so not even going to try and repair that, lol
    Onward and Sideward!