• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

oil filler cap nipple busted 2000 k1200lt replacement? removal suggestions?

mslacool

In turning the oil filler cap to add oil, the cap nipple or ridge broke off relatively even with the top of the cap. Its stuck there now. I need to 1) get it out and 2) replace it. The dealer hasn't got a clue as to if other caps are interchangeable, even with my other GS, nor do I. I am not near where I can wait for a dealer to order one and have it come in. Does anyone have a suggestion as to alternatives for removal or replacement.

My plan is to drill two small holes and use levers in the holes to twist it counterclockwise out. Help?

Paul

In turning the oil filler cap to add oil, the cap nipple or ridge broke off relatively even with the top of the cap. Its stuck there now. I need to 1) get it out and 2) replace it. The dealer hasn't got a clue as to if other caps are interchangeable, even with my other GS, nor do I. I am not near where I can wait for a dealer to order one and have it come in. Does anyone have a suggestion as to alternatives for removal or replacement.

My plan is to drill two small holes and use levers in the holes to twist it counterclockwise out. Help?

Paul

I would drill two shallow holes and then use needle nose pliers to turn the cap. Even if drilled through you can seal the holes with RTV as a temporary measure. You shouldn't need to take the cap off very often before a new one arrives.

That part number matches for all of the classic K bikes: K75, K100, K1100, K1, K1200 .

Thank you

I would drill two shallow holes and then use needle nose pliers to turn the cap. Even if drilled through you can seal the holes with RTV as a temporary measure. You shouldn't need to take the cap off very often before a new one arrives.

That part number matches for all of the classic K bikes: K75, K100, K1100, K1, K1200 .

Thank you. I suppose once I get it out, I can compare it to my GS oil cap and see if they match up. Your idea was similar to mine...

Paul

I got it out. The GS oil cap filler is NOT a match for the K bike oil cap. Differen

The two holes and needle nose worked. The GS oil cap and the K bike oil cap are different. FYI.

Paul

Paul,

If the holes went all the way through the cap and you need to ride the bike (It sounded like you weren't near home), you should plug the holes. Screws would work well and give you something to loosen or tighten the cap with. Or at the least, RTV, silicone, or tape.

If left unplugged, you will have unmetered air entering the intake system (crankcase is connected to the intake by the crankcase vent hose). This will cause a lean mixture and risk poor running or possible engine damage over time.

PM Dave in your other thread and check out his shocks.

:dance:dance:dance

got them out with shallow holes

Paul,

If the holes went all the way through the cap and you need to ride the bike (It sounded like you weren't near home), you should plug the holes. Screws would work well and give you something to loosen or tighten the cap with. Or at the least, RTV, silicone, or tape.

If left unplugged, you will have unmetered air entering the intake system (crankcase is connected to the intake by the crankcase vent hose). This will cause a lean mixture and risk poor running or possible engine damage over time.

PM Dave in your other thread and check out his shocks.

I got the cap off with shallow holes, no air. was careful. Thx. Reusing the same cap til I find a used or replacement one.

as to your PM>>>I don't know what the Dave and other thread means.

regards
Paul

Back