Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: oil filler cap nipple busted 2000 k1200lt replacement? removal suggestions?

  1. #1

    oil filler cap nipple busted 2000 k1200lt replacement? removal suggestions?

    In turning the oil filler cap to add oil, the cap nipple or ridge broke off relatively even with the top of the cap. Its stuck there now. I need to 1) get it out and 2) replace it. The dealer hasn't got a clue as to if other caps are interchangeable, even with my other GS, nor do I. I am not near where I can wait for a dealer to order one and have it come in. Does anyone have a suggestion as to alternatives for removal or replacement.

    My plan is to drill two small holes and use levers in the holes to twist it counterclockwise out. Help?

    Paul

  2. #2
    Quote Originally Posted by mslacool View Post
    In turning the oil filler cap to add oil, the cap nipple or ridge broke off relatively even with the top of the cap. Its stuck there now. I need to 1) get it out and 2) replace it. The dealer hasn't got a clue as to if other caps are interchangeable, even with my other GS, nor do I. I am not near where I can wait for a dealer to order one and have it come in. Does anyone have a suggestion as to alternatives for removal or replacement.

    My plan is to drill two small holes and use levers in the holes to twist it counterclockwise out. Help?

    Paul
    I would drill two shallow holes and then use needle nose pliers to turn the cap. Even if drilled through you can seal the holes with RTV as a temporary measure. You shouldn't need to take the cap off very often before a new one arrives.

    That part number matches for all of the classic K bikes: K75, K100, K1100, K1, K1200 .
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://web.bigbend.net/~glaves/

  3. #3

    Thank you

    Quote Originally Posted by PGlaves View Post
    I would drill two shallow holes and then use needle nose pliers to turn the cap. Even if drilled through you can seal the holes with RTV as a temporary measure. You shouldn't need to take the cap off very often before a new one arrives.

    That part number matches for all of the classic K bikes: K75, K100, K1100, K1, K1200 .
    Thank you. I suppose once I get it out, I can compare it to my GS oil cap and see if they match up. Your idea was similar to mine...

    Paul

  4. #4

    I got it out. The GS oil cap filler is NOT a match for the K bike oil cap. Differen

    The two holes and needle nose worked. The GS oil cap and the K bike oil cap are different. FYI.

    Paul

  5. #5
    3 Red Bricks
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Pleasanton, Ca.
    Posts
    4,703
    Paul,

    If the holes went all the way through the cap and you need to ride the bike (It sounded like you weren't near home), you should plug the holes. Screws would work well and give you something to loosen or tighten the cap with. Or at the least, RTV, silicone, or tape.

    If left unplugged, you will have unmetered air entering the intake system (crankcase is connected to the intake by the crankcase vent hose). This will cause a lean mixture and risk poor running or possible engine damage over time.

    PM Dave in your other thread and check out his shocks.





    LONG MAY YOUR BRICK FLY!

    Ride Safe, Ride Far, Ride Often

    Lee Fulton Forum Moderator
    3 Marakesh Red K75Ss
    Mine, Hers, Spare

  6. #6

    got them out with shallow holes

    [QUOTE=98lee;1154866]Paul,

    If the holes went all the way through the cap and you need to ride the bike (It sounded like you weren't near home), you should plug the holes. Screws would work well and give you something to loosen or tighten the cap with. Or at the least, RTV, silicone, or tape.

    If left unplugged, you will have unmetered air entering the intake system (crankcase is connected to the intake by the crankcase vent hose). This will cause a lean mixture and risk poor running or possible engine damage over time.

    PM Dave in your other thread and check out his shocks.



    I got the cap off with shallow holes, no air. was careful. Thx. Reusing the same cap til I find a used or replacement one.

    as to your PM>>>I don't know what the Dave and other thread means.

    regards
    Paul

  7. #7
    3 Red Bricks
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Pleasanton, Ca.
    Posts
    4,703
    Quote Originally Posted by mslacool View Post

    as to your PM>>>I don't know what the Dave and other thread means.

    regards
    Paul


    I see you found it 6 minutes after you posted this.






    LONG MAY YOUR BRICK FLY!

    Ride Safe, Ride Far, Ride Often

    Lee Fulton Forum Moderator
    3 Marakesh Red K75Ss
    Mine, Hers, Spare

Similar Threads

  1. '87 K75s / Magura Clutch Cable Replacement Barrell (Nipple Holder)
    By kentuvman in forum Flying Brick K-bikes
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 07-05-2012, 12:18 PM
  2. suggestions: 2000 R1100 RT
    By galebt in forum Oilheads
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 06-24-2011, 12:23 AM
  3. Replacement Oil Filler Cap? '05R12GS
    By sheridesabeemer in forum Hexheads/Camheads
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 06-01-2011, 12:45 AM
  4. Replacement oil filler cap leaks
    By OfficerImpersonator in forum Oilheads
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 10-05-2010, 01:44 AM
  5. Filler Neck Removal
    By kurt1305 in forum Hexheads/Camheads
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-19-2010, 07:56 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •