Thread: Riding from Florida to Connecticut on the cheap. Camping alternatives?

Riding from Florida to Connecticut on the cheap. Camping alternatives?

When I leave my son's graduation at Stetson University in Florida this coming May, I plan on riding back to Connecticut from 14 May- of 2019. Instead of relying on cheap hotels and campsites, are there any alternatives for a one-night boarder on the way north? I would like to ride up through Georgia, Kentucky, Tennessee, Virginia, West Virginia into Pennsylvania and through New York State. If I can save money on lodgings, I can take more time riding. Years ago I could do 700 mile days with ease. Now at 69, I try to limit myself to 250-300 mile days. My trusty 1985 K-100RT can handle it. I am sure I can.

Possible

Quote Originally Posted by tonysuburb View Post
    When I leave my son's graduation at Stetson University in Florida this coming May, I plan on riding back to Connecticut from 14 May- of 2019. Instead of relying on cheap hotels and campsites, are there any alternatives for a one-night boarder on the way north? I would like to ride up through Georgia, Kentucky, Tennessee, Virginia, West Virginia into Pennsylvania and through New York State. If I can save money on lodgings, I can take more time riding. Years ago I could do 700 mile days with ease. Now at 69, I try to limit myself to 250-300 mile days. My trusty 1985 K-100RT can handle it. I am sure I can.
    I'm in Philly, what day do you think you will pass through?

I can offer a few places; in PA, Susquehannock Campground - U.S. Army Corp of Engineers, Worlds End State Park, and Ricketts Glen State Park. In NY, Chenango Valley State Park. Ive stayed at all of them, nice spots.

I should have read closer, you were looking for "other than campsites" sorry.
    Last edited by jandhumphreyme; 02-23-2019 at 11:02 AM.
    So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains
    And we never even know we have the key

Grab a senior pass for federal public lands. I now costs $80.00 but gives free admission and half price camping at many federal sites. This means camp in Ocala National Forest for $11.00 a night rather than the usual $22.00 for example. Throughout Georgia, Tennessee, North Carolina and Virginia campgrounds in National Forests open in May. Many are full campgrounds with drinking water, flush toilets and showers.
    Check before you leave but dispersed camping is allowed on a lot of public land at no cost without the pass. No facilities, no picnic table, no fire ring, no charge. The national forests just happen to contain some great riding roads.