Thread: Rider Magazine Article Re: H-D Livewire. $30K and 100-mile range

Rider Magazine Article Re: H-D Livewire. $30K and 100-mile range

Here's a link to an online article which I hope everyone who wants to can see: https://ridermagazine.com/2019/01/07...900E2474689B3Q

I'll put it on FB too.
    John Gamel - BMW MOA Consumer Liaison
    2015 Ebony Metallic R1200RT
    Watching the sunrise outdoors statistically increases your odds of having a good day. And needing a nap after lunch.

'99 '03 '06 National Co-Rally Chair Friedle's Avatar
    $30K price tag with a 100 mile range? Sounds like Harley understands their core audience quite well. Will it still have lots of chrome to polish? Can you add an aftermarket LOUD potato-potato exhaust to the electric motor? So many questions, so little interest personally in this machine.

Friedle
    Ride fast safely

$30K for a bike that tracks me? ...

Mmmmm...

no.

Fortis Fortuna Adiuvat Omega Man's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Friedle View Post
    $30K price tag with a 100 mile range? Sounds like Harley understands their core audience quite well. Will it still have lots of chrome to polish? Can you add an aftermarket LOUD potato-potato exhaust to the electric motor? So many questions, so little interest personally in this machine.

Friedle
    Will you still take the money to MSF train riders of this new HD motorcycle?
    OM
    "You can do good or you can do well. Sooner or later they make you choose." MI5
    Mod Squad
    2009 F800GS 1994 TW200

I considered switching from my 2007 GS to a HD for the social side of things, but couldn’t get past their business model of selling a substandard machine and charging thousands to get it up to performance somewhat lower than a stock GS. I wonder what the stage kits will be? Stage I kit gives you a software change that will increase output by 5%? Stage II buys you a few more batteries to extend range 10 miles? Stage III buys you a better charging system so it can be recharged in less time from you clothes dryer plug-in? ...

I personally love the concept of electric vehicles. Some manufacturers are doing better than others in the execution. A $30k electric HD that comes out at a much higher price point with less range than competitors (Zero) is set up for epic failure. The core HD customer base is not going to be interested at all and the younger buyers will not be interested because of cost and performance issues.

Rally Rat

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Omega Man View Post
    Will you still take the money to MSF train riders of this new HD motorcycle?
    OM
    I'm going to presume that shot was "tongue in cheek."

As for "taking their money to train" implication, consider the inescapable variations of students.

All are welcome at the table, once minimum criteria (age, ability to ride a bicycle - i.e. balance and coordination abilities demonstrated, physical disabilities not withstanding, etc. are met.

However, we cannot control poor decision making, such as students of mine who successfully complete the scooter BRC, with no training to include a heavier machine, manually shifting gears, counter-weighting - then go out and finance Road Kings and Gold Wings the next day. Their choice, but IMHO, ill-prepared and a poor decision.

Electric bikes? Not my cup of tea, but their proponents will certainly populate the training arena (to a very small percentage) as the popularity of these machines are integrated into the transportation matrix.

Yes - the organizations we train for will take their money. Not a 'choice' on our part.

Harley has a long held corporate strategy of leading from the rear.
    Lee A. Dickinson - Danielsville, GA USA
    Airheads #3480 | Iron Butt Assn. #8914
    1992 R100RS - 1993 K1100RS - 2013 R1200GS

Quote Originally Posted by beemerphile View Post
    Harley has a long held corporate strategy of leading from the rear.
    And worldwide they did outsell BMW 20 to 1.
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://web.bigbend.net/~glaves/

My wife works for IBM so I sent her this apple news link her response under it

44572C6F-2625-4D2E-8A78-D3711EA7ECF0.jpeg

Quote Originally Posted by 179212 View Post
    My wife works for IBM so I sent her this apple news link her response under it

44572C6F-2625-4D2E-8A78-D3711EA7ECF0.jpeg
    Gail Thorne
    2017 F700GS