Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Engine Guard Suggestions

Quote Originally Posted by jbtex View Post
    Makes more sense now, re-reading your original comment. Thanks for clarifying. I assume that "HP" is "HB", the Hepco guards.

How is the Hepco Becker guard in terms of doing any maintenance on the bike? Does it get in the way to the point where you have to disassemble it?
    Ya, that HP was a mistyped HB.

The mechanic doesn't have to remove the lower HB bars to get the head covers off, but that's on my 2012 r1200GS. Another model/year may or may not be the same as far as being in the way
    The lion does not even bother to turn his head when he hears the small dog barking.

https://www.youtube.com/user/azqkr

Quote Originally Posted by jbtex View Post
    I've done a search through the forum, but can't seem to find posts that go into much detail. I'm sure they are around, so pardon a repeat question if this has been asked before.

I would like to put engine guards on my 2004 R1150R. The Wunderlich seem to appeal the most to me due to aesthetics and what looks like an easier time performing maintenance without having to remove the bars.

However, I wonder what others have experienced with some of the competing products from Heed, for example. Are there also alternatives to the Wunderlich and Heed? I have a twin spark, so there was one I found that won't work.

Any thoughts and input is appreciated.
    JB - aren't you a member over on the Roadster board too?

Plastic BMW guards are good for 1 low speed (<20MPH) crash per side. I have data.
    Stantons are old school cool but unobtainium.
    R1150GS engine guards can work, though some versions assume you have skid plate attached.
    I've got a set of SW Motech R1150GS crash bars I've yet to mount - on the fence about added weight versus the obvious protective merits.
    PM me here or at R1150R.org
    Now: Rockster2, S1000R, K1300S
    Then: R850R, R1100R, R1150R, Rockster1, R1200C, F800S, etc

Quote Originally Posted by mastrand9 View Post
    JB - aren't you a member over on the Roadster board too?

Plastic BMW guards are good for 1 low speed (<20MPH) crash per side. I have data.
    Stantons are old school cool but unobtainium.
    R1150GS engine guards can work, though some versions assume you have skid plate attached.
    I've got a set of SW Motech R1150GS crash bars I've yet to mount - on the fence about added weight versus the obvious protective merits.
    PM me here or at R1150R.org
    Roadster board: I joined a number of places right after I bought my R1150R in October last year. I love researching and getting up to speed on what I am passionate about. :-)

As for the engine guard, really good and valuable input. I figured tha the plastic guards on the heads are really just there for very light duty protection. Now I am curious to hear how you came about gathering your data...

I'll send you a PM.