• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Engine Guard Suggestions

jbtex

I've done a search through the forum, but can't seem to find posts that go into much detail. I'm sure they are around, so pardon a repeat question if this has been asked before.

I would like to put engine guards on my 2004 R1150R. The Wunderlich seem to appeal the most to me due to aesthetics and what looks like an easier time performing maintenance without having to remove the bars.

However, I wonder what others have experienced with some of the competing products from Heed, for example. Are there also alternatives to the Wunderlich and Heed? I have a twin spark, so there was one I found that won't work.

Any thoughts and input is appreciated.

This is extremely helpful. Truly appreciate it! Just curious, what search term did you enter? I want to ensure that I can do the research before bugging everyone for the millionth time about the same topics. :)

jb -

My favorite search method is using the google site search. I went to google and typed the following into the search box:

site:forums.bmwmoa.org engine guard r1150r

You might have to weed through some things, but if you use the appropriate terms, it might be helpful.

After some additional brainstorming and looking at the different engine guard offerings, I wonder whether they are really needed.

My main concern is dropping the bike in a low speed maneuver such as a turn or practicing in a parking lot. The R1150R I bought has the plastic guards on the cylinder heads, which might just be enough protection for the heads. I have not dropped the bike (yet) and haven't leaned it over to see what all would actually touch the ground.

So, here is a follow-up question:

It's obvious that having engine guards from Wunderlich or Heed offers more protection, but in the above scenario are they worth the investment? Can the cylinder heads hold up in a low speed or no speed drop?

Thoughts?

Had the Wunderlich guards come on one of our 1150R's and never got to try them. A low speed or parking incident drop usually will end OK...have seen and picked up an 1150R after that and minimal if any damage a few times.
I used that bike on a ERC course and had a blast doing the box figure eights and never felt a fall was iminent

The plastic guards are to absorb the energy and sometimes they break...better than the valve cover.
The sidecases usually take the brunt of a fall.

3 days before Xmas this year, I had a get off on an 15% [ est ] inclined rock ledge at low speed [ 5mph? ] as I was making a hairpin left up the hill from dirt to rock ledge right at the turn. The HB lower CB got dinged [ and repainted so the damage wouldn't rust ]. For the price of the HB lower guards [ I have the HB uppers also ], well worth not even taking the potential risk of cracking a case let alone replacing one with ugly scars all over it.

Thinking of adding engine cylinder head guards to the mix. I'm too nervous about the engine head covers by themselves being enough to prevent cracking one in a real get off.

Last edited:
3 days before Xmas this year, I had a get off on an 15% [ est ] inclined rock ledge at low speed [ 5mph? ] as I was making a hairpin left up the hill from dirt to rock ledge right at the turn. The HB lower CB got dinged [ and repainted so the damage wouldn't rust ]. For the price of the HP lower guards [ I have the HB uppers also ], well worth not even taking the potential risk of cracking a case let alone replacing one with ugly scars all over it.

Thinking of adding engine cylinder head guards to the mix. I'm too nervous about the engine head covers by themselves being enough to prevent cracking one in a real get off.

With 3 two letter common as dirt acronyms in the post I have no idea of what you speak.
HB is pencil lead.
CB is a radio.
HP is horsepower.

I've done a search through the forum, but can't seem to find posts that go into much detail. I'm sure they are around, so pardon a repeat question if this has been asked before.

I would like to put engine guards on my 2004 R1150R. The Wunderlich seem to appeal the most to me due to aesthetics and what looks like an easier time performing maintenance without having to remove the bars.

However, I wonder what others have experienced with some of the competing products from Heed, for example. Are there also alternatives to the Wunderlich and Heed? I have a twin spark, so there was one I found that won't work.

I have a set of ZTecknik engine guards on my RT. I don't think you can find much better protection or quality built guards but that is just my opinion. I've replaced crushed plastic ones on bikes with these and my bike has fallen over in soft gravel on them and also one very slow drop at a rally when someone wanted to sit on my bike... They show no scars whatsoever from either incident and neither does the bike.

Yes you have to remove them to get an RT fairing off but this is a small price to pay for proper and very solid triple mount points to the heads and engine. For you R bike this will not be necessary. You can also easily do valve adjustments without removing them. They look like this:
zbmz7105r1150rt.jpg

One of many dealers:
http://www.nationalcycle.com/z7105.html

I have a set of ZTecknik engine guards on my RT. I don't think you can find much better protection or quality built guards but that is just my opinion. I've replaced crushed plastic ones on bikes with these and my bike has fallen over in soft gravel on them and also one very slow drop at a rally when someone wanted to sit on my bike... They show no scars whatsoever from either incident and neither does the bike.

Yes you have to remove them to get an RT fairing off but this is a small price to pay for proper and very solid triple mount points to the heads and engine. For you R bike this will not be necessary. You can also easily do valve adjustments without removing them. They look like this:
zbmz7105r1150rt.jpg

One of many dealers:
http://www.nationalcycle.com/z7105.html

I would love to install the ZTechnik guards, but discovered that they are not compatible with the twin spark heads. Aesthetically, they are what I would hope to have: Enough protection, but not shouting "I'm paranoid!". :-D

HB=Hepco Becker, they make crash bars, the subject of this discussion. :thumb
CB=crash bar

Makes more sense now, re-reading your original comment. Thanks for clarifying. I assume that "HP" is "HB", the Hepco guards.

How is the Hepco Becker guard in terms of doing any maintenance on the bike? Does it get in the way to the point where you have to disassemble it?

Makes more sense now, re-reading your original comment. Thanks for clarifying. I assume that "HP" is "HB", the Hepco guards.

How is the Hepco Becker guard in terms of doing any maintenance on the bike? Does it get in the way to the point where you have to disassemble it?

Ya, that HP was a mistyped HB.

The mechanic doesn't have to remove the lower HB bars to get the head covers off, but that's on my 2012 r1200GS. Another model/year may or may not be the same as far as being in the way :thumb

JB - aren't you a member over on the Roadster board too?

Plastic BMW guards are good for 1 low speed (<20MPH) crash per side. I have data.
Stantons are old school cool but unobtainium.
R1150GS engine guards can work, though some versions assume you have skid plate attached.
I've got a set of SW Motech R1150GS crash bars I've yet to mount - on the fence about added weight versus the obvious protective merits.
PM me here or at R1150R.org

JB - aren't you a member over on the Roadster board too?

Plastic BMW guards are good for 1 low speed (<20MPH) crash per side. I have data.
Stantons are old school cool but unobtainium.
R1150GS engine guards can work, though some versions assume you have skid plate attached.
I've got a set of SW Motech R1150GS crash bars I've yet to mount - on the fence about added weight versus the obvious protective merits.
PM me here or at R1150R.org

Roadster board: I joined a number of places right after I bought my R1150R in October last year. I love researching and getting up to speed on what I am passionate about. :)

As for the engine guard, really good and valuable input. I figured tha the plastic guards on the heads are really just there for very light duty protection. Now I am curious to hear how you came about gathering your data...

I'll send you a PM.

Back