• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

r12gs&turn signal bulbs

BOXXER

Does anyone know where to purchase these bulbs that are chrome so they can't be seen by using clear lenses and what are the size of these bulbs in according to american auto parts stores to ask for??

boxxer said:
Does anyone know where to purchase these bulbs that are chrome so they can't be seen by using clear lenses and what are the size of these bulbs in according to american auto parts stores to ask for??

I've used the Sylvania SilverStar signal bulbs: http://www.sylvania.com/ConsumerProducts/AutomotiveLighting/HighPerformance/SilverStarSignal/ They look a little blue in the daylight, but are full on amber when powered up day or night. You can look here for the fitment: http://tinyurl.com/8q8to but I believe the 1156 will work.

Some of the BMW turn signal bases which come with clear lenses have a weird bulb base where the pins are offset as seen when looking at the base of the blub. The pins are not directly opposed from each other (180 degrees apart). My local dealer just uses a standard 1156 bulb and removes one of the pins. The single remaining one seems to keep the bulb in the socket ok.

GregFeeler said:
I've used the Sylvania SilverStar signal bulbs: http://www.sylvania.com/ConsumerProducts/AutomotiveLighting/HighPerformance/SilverStarSignal/ They look a little blue in the daylight, but are full on amber when powered up day or night. You can look here for the fitment: http://tinyurl.com/8q8to but I believe the 1156 will work.

Some of the BMW turn signal bases which come with clear lenses have a weird bulb base where the pins are offset as seen when looking at the base of the blub. The pins are not directly opposed from each other (180 degrees apart). My local dealer just uses a standard 1156 bulb and removes one of the pins. The single remaining one seems to keep the bulb in the socket ok.

The clear lens reflectors take the non-180 opposed pins and use the amber bulb that BMW supplies with those non-180 pins. The amber lens reflectors take the standard clear bulb with the 180 degree opposed pins.
However if you look at the reflectors and the lenses, there is a mating notch on the side of the reflector which mates with the proper lens. If you notch the other side of the wrong reflector (or lens), then you can mix them. The point being that you don't have to replace the reflector which takes the clear bulb and then you can use the US made amber bulbs with the 180 degree opposed pins...and save buying the BMW amber bulb reflector.

cjack said:
The clear lens reflectors take the non-180 opposed pins and use the amber bulb that BMW supplies with those non-180 pins. The amber lens reflectors take the standard clear bulb with the 180 degree opposed pins.
However if you look at the reflectors and the lenses, there is a mating notch on the side of the reflector which mates with the proper lens. If you notch the other side of the wrong reflector (or lens), then you can mix them. The point being that you don't have to replace the reflector which takes the clear bulb and then you can use the US made amber bulbs with the 180 degree opposed pins...and save buying the BMW amber bulb reflector.

That's exactly what I did on my K1200RS. :thumb

Back