• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Choke issue

armartel

Still working through my 1983 R80 G/S and I'm having a hard time with the choke. When I try to start the bike with the choke on, it won't start at all. Only starts with the choke off. Then, when I put the choke on after the bike is started, it doesn't increase the RPM's, but rather starts to caugh and die. I'm also having a hard time starting the bike during the cold and it would be helpful to have a useful choke during the colder weather. Seems like the cables are working properly. Any suggestions about where I should go from here?

By working properly, have you observed what happens at the carb end of the cable? My choke cable is a stiff wire, which moves a lever up/down on the inside of the carb. When the choke is off, the lever is all the way down against the stop. I suspect yours is similar though don't know for sure. Be sure that when the choke is off and on, the lever is in the proper position. Sounds like yours needs some fine tuning.

Some additional background information would help pin down the issue. How long since the carbs had a thorough cleaning and fresh o-rings? Any other running issues that might indicate a carb problem? How long since the last full service including valve clearance and timing checks?

Hard starting when cold could definitely indicate an enrichment problem, but could also be weak spark, valve clearance/recession issues, or just an overall dirty or out-of-adjustment carburetor. If the carbs have at some time been disassembled for service you might want to verify that the disks in your enrichener are in the proper orientation. See Snowbum’s article page at http://bmwmotorcycletech.info/technical-articles-list.htm and scroll down to the Bing articles for details.

Best,
DG

Choke lever on the handlebar? These (choke) enrichers have a braided cable from the lever and return springs on the carburetor. stretched out springs will give you trouble, especially when going "off choke". You will want to check on that. It sounds to me like the variable enricher disc might be flipped over. The enricher disc has a series of different sized holes in it. I think of it as a secondary carburetor circuit with variable jetting. If the disc was flipped over, you would get no enrichment when the choke lever was moved to open, and maximum enrichment when the choke lever is closed.

What is the service history of the bike and how long have you owned it. If you are a new owner, there is almost no limit to the funny stuff that may have happened to it over the years.

Where are you located? Are you a member of Airheads? If so, check with your state's Airmarshal to see if you can find some hands on guidance.

Inside the float bowl is a small well at the corner, at the bottom is a very small hole to let fuel into that well. Make sure the hole is open.

Sounds like the disk in the enricher is mounted 180 degrees off. I am not sure if that is even possible to do.

/Guenther

Haven't noticed if the OP said he worked on the carbs or if this choke "feature" has been there since he owned the bike.

But Snowbum mentions numerous times that the carb parts are handed, especially the enrichener disk. Not sure it can be installed 180 degrees out, but it can certainly be switched side-to-side which probably does the same thing as making the choke work backwards.

Sounds like the disk in the enricher is mounted 180 degrees off. I am not sure if that is even possible to do.

/Guenther

Yes, it can be, and that is an all-too-common error. The shafts are marked with a dot on the outside to indicate proper orientation of the cable arm, and stamped L or R on the inside so they don’t get swapped side-to-side. Still happens, tho—and some of the shafts were mis-marked as shipped from BMW so you have to really examine the orientation of the parts. Snowbum has a good set of pics and info on it at http://bmwmotorcycletech.info/bingcv.htm

Best,
DG

Back