Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Max gear weight for soft pannier

I am grinning. If weight greater that 20 something pounds on each side, attached directly beside the contact points of the pillion seat causes instability, how in the world can we ever dare allow a passenger to apply a hundred or two hundred pounds at a higher location on the seat? How, pray tell, can we even control the motorcycle to avoid crashing with such a load.

You are each free to believe whatever it is you wish to believe but for me it has to pass the smell tests of logic and physics. To me that means that the weight "limits" are BMW's conservative figures for the ability of the rear subframe and mounting hardware to support OEM bags with OEM mounting hardware. Other hardware mounted differently may support more (or less) weight than the OEM setup.

In my experience instability in handling is far more often caused by turbulence from loads not contained in side bags or a top case. All that stuff on the sissy bar or seat is the usual culprit; not the side bags or passenger. YMMV
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://web.bigbend.net/~glaves/

Quote Originally Posted by PGlaves View Post
    I am grinning. If weight greater that 20 something pounds on each side, attached directly beside the contact points of the pillion seat causes instability, how in the world can we ever dare allow a passenger to apply a hundred or two hundred pounds at a higher location on the seat? How, pray tell, can we even control the motorcycle to avoid crashing with such a load.

You are each free to believe whatever it is you wish to believe but for me it has to pass the smell tests of logic and physics. To me that means that the weight "limits" are BMW's conservative figures for the ability of the rear subframe and mounting hardware to support OEM bags with OEM mounting hardware. Other hardware mounted differently may support more (or less) weight than the OEM setup.

In my experience instability in handling is far more often caused by turbulence from loads not contained in side bags or a top case. All that stuff on the sissy bar or seat is the usual culprit; not the side bags or passenger. YMMV
    I've been thinking the same after my trip to Ak. I couldn't get more than 17# each inside the two side Varios and had to resort to two dry bags, one where the passenger seat would be and one strapped above and to the first bag as well as the bike.

I decided I wanted more storage in the side bags instead of piling dry bag on each other, bought the larger LR semi rigid's and discovered the following when making the move over to them.

Everything in the left Vario [ muffler side ] that was stuffed leaves 50% of the LR empty. Everything in the right vario that was stuffed fits in the right LR leaving more than 50% volume available. Seeing how much gear could be stowed in the LR's over the varios, the only question left for me was "how much weight can I safely put into these LR's" without stressing the bags or mounting points.

Speaking of mounting points, most everyone knows the locking mechanism is encase in plastic however, which is a weak point IMO. The LR's racks attach in two places with metal clamps around the frame, and the backing plate of each bag has 4 metal to metal clamps to the racks. IMO, a stronger system than the varios for the reasons above.

When I asked the question, I really didn't think there wouldn't be a lot of definitive answers from others experiences on trips, or recommendations from the manu's. Apparently there's not a lot out there on soft bag weight limits. LR has given guidance for their bags, I'll follow that and be happy with the added 13#'s of gear in each LR bag. It alleviates the second dry bag which was at my shoulder height sitting on the bike.

Again, thanks for everyone's input
    The lion does not even bother to turn his head when he hears the small dog barking.

https://www.youtube.com/user/azqkr