Thread: Going to the XR from the RT

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Going to the XR from the RT

I wanted a lighter bike and I also love an inline 4. So I am getting a 2019 with the HP colors and lowered suspension. That being said I am looking for some advice on a couple of things.

1. It has been quite a while since I have had a bike with a chain drive. How often do you guys clean the chain (how many miles). I know riding in wet conditions makes you need to clean it sooner.
    2. What do you use to clean the chain. Back in 2007 I used kerosene. Is there something else I should be using.
    3. What is your lube of preference?

I plan on adding some bags (probably the Givi medium aluminum bags, I am tired of side loading cases where stuff tends to fall out), sw-motech engine guards and foot stand enlarger. I want to ride it a while before I decide i need a different windshield, footpeg lowering kit or seat. I will most likely get a new standard seat from Sargent (had one on my RT) because the combo of lowered suspension and standard seat still had me flat footed but with less knee bend and I am getting the low seat with the bike.

Any feedback is appreciated. I am excited and can't wait for it to get in within a couple of weeks.
    Lynn Lopez - 19 S1000XR
    Keeping two wheels down and waving at everyone!
    SATXBiker
    San Antonio, TX

I use WD40 to clean the chain. If I am in the desert here where we live in the Big Bend (come see us) that is it. Keep it clean. Don't attract sand or dust. If I am riding in the Pacific North West or even the hill country where dust and sand are not an issue I add some generic brand chain lube. BMW (for our G310s) said every third gas stop would be OK. That equates to about 500 miles. So think in terms of 500 miles or so for a chain cleaning and lube. In the hill country I would clean with WD40 and lube with a chain lube from Auto Zone or O'reilley's Then plan on a new chain every 20K to 24K. And above all else, do not stress about it.
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://web.bigbend.net/~glaves/

Thanks a lot Paul!
    Lynn Lopez - 19 S1000XR
    Keeping two wheels down and waving at everyone!
    SATXBiker
    San Antonio, TX

cleaning chain

I'm using the BMW brand chain cleaner and chain lube. I've read you should clean and lubricate the chain every 500 miles, and I am doing that. You might want to buy a 'Grunge Brush' to help scrub the chain.

I found that using Kerosene to clean the chain works great, and, since I am mostly in a dry climate, use the Dupont Chain wax.
    John.
    Atwater, CA
    2015 R1200RT

Bags, Lube, etc.

Howdy Sat,

Kerosene is still a great cleaner. I just keep an eye on it as far as cleaning interval, as conditions can change the attention needed. I use AMSOIL chain lube. Goes on easy, lasts a long time, good protection.

I use soft saddlebags (Adventure-Spec Magadan Panniers), and I think that you'll find that you need to replace the stock racks with something else that gives you more tire/wheel clearance, as the stock racks sit way too far in. Plus, SW Motech makes some that are quick release, so they come off with a 1/4 turn of the fasteners. Really cleans up the look if you don't need bags right then! Same goes if you want other than stock hard cases: You'll very likely have to replace the racks.

Heated Corbin seat for me and the missus, but it took a full 5000 miles to break in. Most people don't seem to like the shape for the XR, but it works fine for me. Tallest windshield for me, as I'm 6-1, and can flat-foot the stock XR. Oh, mirror extenders are nice so you don't fill half of your mirrors with your shoulders. And finally, one of the first things I did was add radiator and oil cooler guards. They're like big catcher's mitts, and very spendy to replace. I wanted some highway pegs, so added the engine protection bars for an easy mounting location.

Really the only thing you should look into pretty soon is the rad/oil cooler protection. Not expensive, and it takes an hour to add them yourself.

You're going to love it. Oh yeah.

Quote Originally Posted by satxbiker View Post
    I wanted a lighter bike and I also love an inline 4. So I am getting a 2019 with the HP colors and lowered suspension. That being said I am looking for some advice on a couple of things.

1. It has been quite a while since I have had a bike with a chain drive. How often do you guys clean the chain (how many miles). I know riding in wet conditions makes you need to clean it sooner.
    2. What do you use to clean the chain. Back in 2007 I used kerosene. Is there something else I should be using.
    3. What is your lube of preference?

I plan on adding some bags (probably the Givi medium aluminum bags, I am tired of side loading cases where stuff tends to fall out), sw-motech engine guards and foot stand enlarger. I want to ride it a while before I decide i need a different windshield, footpeg lowering kit or seat. I will most likely get a new standard seat from Sargent (had one on my RT) because the combo of lowered suspension and standard seat still had me flat footed but with less knee bend and I am getting the low seat with the bike.

Any feedback is appreciated. I am excited and can't wait for it to get in within a couple of weeks.
    If you decide you want to add sargent seat, let me know. I have a brand new one, regular height available.

Sent from my BBF100-2 using Tapatalk

I never bother to actually clean my chains, I just keep adding lube quasi regularly as needed. Never had an issue on my KTM's.

As for bags I would check out Mosko Moto. There gear is absolutely top quality and their customer service is excellent plus super nice people. They sell direct to try to keep the cost down. The two guys who started the company led out with a thread on ADVrider and use that to get ideas and feed back in designing products etc. I'm waiting for th R80 v3 throw over bags to come out to run on my 640 & 525. Arguably the best bags you can buy.
    https://moskomoto.com
    http://beerthief.ca
    ITSteve: ride in peace my friend
    save $5 on a new SmugMug account, use this coupon7frrnSRiTt9Fk

Agree with the radiator and oil cooler guard. Just be careful removing the middle fasteners for the lower fairing. It is easy but should be done correctly. Just google it.

Will be attaching SW Motech engine guards when I receive mine.

I like to use a Scottoiler as I've found that it makes my life much easier

Here's a little data:

Current: 2007 BMW R1200RT, 2013 F800GS
    Former: 1995 BMW K75S, 2009 BMW G650GS
    MOA Member #:150400, IBA#: 37558

Current: 2007 BMW R1200RT, 2013 F800GS
    Former: 1995 BMW K75S, 2009 BMW G650GS
    MOA Member #:150400, IBA#: 37558

Registered User RIDERR1150GSADV's Avatar
    Very interesting video about those cleaners. I guess Ipone is the one to get if your chain has o-rings in it...
    MOA # 108516
    Current ride 2018 R1200 GSA Triple Black
    Past rides '04 R1150RT, '05 K1200LT, '06 R1150GSA, 17 R1200RT