Thread: Going to the XR from the RT

Going to the XR from the RT

I wanted a lighter bike and I also love an inline 4. So I am getting a 2019 with the HP colors and lowered suspension. That being said I am looking for some advice on a couple of things.

1. It has been quite a while since I have had a bike with a chain drive. How often do you guys clean the chain (how many miles). I know riding in wet conditions makes you need to clean it sooner.
    2. What do you use to clean the chain. Back in 2007 I used kerosene. Is there something else I should be using.
    3. What is your lube of preference?

I plan on adding some bags (probably the Givi medium aluminum bags, I am tired of side loading cases where stuff tends to fall out), sw-motech engine guards and foot stand enlarger. I want to ride it a while before I decide i need a different windshield, footpeg lowering kit or seat. I will most likely get a new standard seat from Sargent (had one on my RT) because the combo of lowered suspension and standard seat still had me flat footed but with less knee bend and I am getting the low seat with the bike.

Any feedback is appreciated. I am excited and can't wait for it to get in within a couple of weeks.
    Lynn Lopez - 19 S1000XR
    Keeping two wheels down and waving at everyone!
    SATXBiker
    San Antonio, TX

I use WD40 to clean the chain. If I am in the desert here where we live in the Big Bend (come see us) that is it. Keep it clean. Don't attract sand or dust. If I am riding in the Pacific North West or even the hill country where dust and sand are not an issue I add some generic brand chain lube. BMW (for our G310s) said every third gas stop would be OK. That equates to about 500 miles. So think in terms of 500 miles or so for a chain cleaning and lube. In the hill country I would clean with WD40 and lube with a chain lube from Auto Zone or O'reilley's Then plan on a new chain every 20K to 24K. And above all else, do not stress about it.
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://web.bigbend.net/~glaves/

Thanks a lot Paul!
    Lynn Lopez - 19 S1000XR
    Keeping two wheels down and waving at everyone!
    SATXBiker
    San Antonio, TX

cleaning chain

I'm using the BMW brand chain cleaner and chain lube. I've read you should clean and lubricate the chain every 500 miles, and I am doing that. You might want to buy a 'Grunge Brush' to help scrub the chain.

I found that using Kerosene to clean the chain works great, and, since I am mostly in a dry climate, use the Dupont Chain wax.
    John.
    Atwater, CA
    2015 R1200RT