• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

R65 Siebenrock Kit

tlangman4

Hi everyone-

After my recent purchase of an ‘81 R65, I am in the middle of an overall evaluation process of work that needs to be completed. The odometer indicates 38k, but the bike looks a lot more tired than that. A top end rebuild appears necessary, and perhaps other engine work as well.

I have been considering the Siebenrock 860 kit as an alternative to the stock top end. After searching for comments regarding the topic on this forum, there have been indications from a few who have used the kit that have indicated it to be a solid upgrade. Yet, there appears to also be an issue with the squish area due to the piston shape, etc.

I am interested in hearing from anyone who can provide more long-term detail regarding this issue, and what the possible effects this may have on engine life, or other potential concerns that exist with the kit.

Thanks again for all the help and advice!!

Tom

I only have 10K miles on the Siebenrock top end for my /7...so far so good. As for piston shape and head configuration, I find it hard to believe that Siebenrock wouldn't have researched that. You could call Ted Porter at the Beemer Shop and get his input.

Hi everyone-

After my recent purchase of an ‘81 R65, I am in the middle of an overall evaluation process of work that needs to be completed. The odometer indicates 38k, but the bike looks a lot more tired than that. A top end rebuild appears necessary, and perhaps other engine work as well.

I have been considering the Siebenrock 860 kit as an alternative to the stock top end. After searching for comments regarding the topic on this forum, there have been indications from a few who have used the kit that have indicated it to be a solid upgrade. Yet, there appears to also be an issue with the squish area due to the piston shape, etc.

I am interested in hearing from anyone who can provide more long-term detail regarding this issue, and what the possible effects this may have on engine life, or other potential concerns that exist with the kit.

Thanks again for all the help and advice!!

Tom
I have a friend with r 65 purchased new his odometer says 20 or 30 thousand but is off by 200,000. ( odometer has rolled over twice)

Back