• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Bmw motorrad releases 2018 sales figures

akbeemer

SURVIVOR
They must be doing something right.
Not a big increase, but an increase nonetheless. How many other manufacturers can say the same?

BMW MOTORRAD RELEASES 2018 SALES FIGURES

Posted by: BMW Motorrad Press Release

BMW Motorrad sold more motorcycles and maxi scooters in 2018 than ever before. Compared to the strong previous year, deliveries increased by 0.9 percent. As of December 2018 a total of 165,566 vehicles (previous year 164,153 units) were delivered to customers.

Dr. Markus Schramm, Head of BMW Motorrad, said “2018 was another very successful year for BMW Motorrad. We achieved a sales record for the eighth time in succession. I would like to thank our customers most sincerely for the great trust they have placed in us again in 2018."

With this next sales record, BMW Motorrad takes another great step towards reaching its planned sales target of 200,000 units in the year 2020.

Schramm said, “The 2018 sales figure shows that our motorcycle growth strategy is taking effect. This success was achieved due to the market launch of six new models as well as the powerful BMW Motorrad product portfolio. And we still have a great deal planned for the coming years. Our ongoing model initiative in the premium segment continues. We will expand our product range with emotional and innovative new products in 2019, too. We will also be increasing our involvement in motorsport significantly. In the 2019 season, the new BMW Motorrad WorldSBK Team will lining up at the start with the BMW S 1000 RR at the FIM World Superbike Championship (WorldSBK).

Strong sales in Europe and the USA

Good performance in big European markets and the US were a major cornerstone for these successful sales figures. The most important markets - France (16,615 units), Italy (14,110 units), Spain (11,124 units) and the UK / IE (9,224 units) - as well as the USA (13,842 units) once again recorded high-level sales figures.

With 23,824 units, Germany is the largest individual market for BMW Motorrad yet again as the company defends its position as the most successful motorcycle manufacturer on the German market.

Significant growth in China, Brazil and India

BMW Motorrad is continuing to expand in China and Brazil, too. With 7,561 BMW motorcycles and scooters sold and a growth rate of over 35 percent, China together with Brazil (7,361 units / + 11%) are among the markets with the strongest growth. In India, with 2,187 units sold in 2018, the BMW Group’s own sales subsidiary has successfully established the sales of BMW motorcycles on the market following the start of business in 2017.

GS models are unstoppable

For the first time in BMW Motorrad’s history, more than 51,000 R 1200/1250 GS and GS Adventure travel enduros alone were sold. With a total of around 84,500 units, the traditionally strong R Series once again confirmed its leading position in the overall range. The R nineT model variants played a significant role in 2018 as well.

The 18,773 units of the sports-oriented BMW S Series with the S 1000 RR Supersports Bike, the S 1000 R Power Roadster and the S 1000 XR Adventure Bike were sold worldwide. This shows that these three models continue to be an important pillar in the BMW Motorrad range.

The capacity segment below 500cc among the top five models

BMW Motorrad's G 310 R and G 310 GS models - introduced in 2017 - had been delivered to 24,363 customers by the end of 2018. The two agile all-rounders are thus among the Top Five of the top-selling models in 2018 and are popular all over the world.

Luxury tourers in the fast lane

Sales of the six-cylinder K models are also developing very positively. In its second year of sales, above all the K 1600 Bagger, which is tailored especially to the US market, is proof of the unbroken trend towards large-capacity touring bikes. Timo Resch, BMW Motorrad Head of Sales and Marketing, said, “With 8,306 units sold and a 25 percent increase in sales, our six-cylinder models are among the big winners of 2018 again. The USA especially is an important market for these models. We will continue to increase our involvement in the US in order to strengthen BMW Motorrad’s position there. We will respond to the special market requirements in the USA with a further highly emotional and very authentic BMW Motorrad product.”

Outlook for 2019

BMW Motorrad presents the most powerful product portfolio of all time in 2019 and is in excellent shape all round. Timo Resch said, “We expect to see further growth in sales for our vehicles in 2019, too. We are looking forward to the positive impulses generated by our new products from the R 1250 boxer family, the much anticipated new S 1000 R as well as the F 850 GS Adventure, which expands the mid-size BMW Motorrad model range. Expanding our urban mobility product range with the market launch of the two scooters C 400 X and C 400 GT will also have contribute to success in 2019."

Hey, thanks (Kevin ?). Interesting.

[QUOTE”akbeemer
.........We will expand our product range with emotional and innovative new products in 2019, too........... “][/QUOTE]

I wonder what “emotional” means ? Especially if he means new emotional products. Well, we are here in 2019, so we should see soon.

Anybody have the USA/Canada/Mexico sales models breakdown. The big Twin GS’s sure are popular ! Worldwide as well as North America. They are almost a third of production. They sure are “Emotional”.

Charlie

BMW PressClub Canada put out year end sales numbers in this release -
https://www.press.bmwgroup.com/cana...s-28th-consecutive-year-of-growth?language=en

I have not seen year end numbers for BMW Motorrad Mexico. This article from BMW PressClub came out in November with numbers through October.
https://www.press.bmwgroup.com/mexi...rica-en-camino-a-un-exitoso-cierre-en-el-2018

US numbers are non-existent as far as I know. That has be s.o.p.for some time.

The annual report will have some breakdown of world wide sales by model and total sales for countries/regions.

BMW and Apple

I would be very surprised to see BMW release US sales numbers for the same reason Apple no longer releases iPhone sales numbers. When you are tanking, why advertise it.

I would be very surprised to see BMW release US sales numbers for the same reason Apple no longer releases iPhone sales numbers. When you are tanking, why advertise it.

I do not understand why you seem to think they are tanking in the US. This excerpt from their press release is at odds with your assessment.

“Good performance in big European markets and the US were a major cornerstone for these successful sales figures. The most important markets - France (16,615 units), Italy (14,110 units), Spain (11,124 units) and the UK / IE (9,224 units) - as well as the USA (13,842 units) once again recorded high-level sales figures.”

I do not understand why you seem to think they are tanking in the US. This excerpt from their press release is at odds with your assessment.

“Good performance in big European markets and the US were a major cornerstone for these successful sales figures. The most important markets - France (16,615 units), Italy (14,110 units), Spain (11,124 units) and the UK / IE (9,224 units) - as well as the USA (13,842 units) once again recorded high-level sales figures.”

Unfortunately, Kevin, "The Devil is in the details."

When the Public Relations department at BMW uses verbiage like "Good performance" "successful sales" "high-level sales" ………….they really haven't told you anything that can be quantified. 13,842 units in the USA means nothing unless compared to a series of previous years. "High-level sales" is an opinion, spun to sound good. It may be good, but BMW doesn't seem to be thriving here in the Midwest. You wouldn't think that was the case, given the press release - which means the PR spin-doctors did their job.

Just sayin.' :dunno

I have been generally watching BMW bike sales in the US for years. With minor ups and downs they have been growing from 12,000 or so over the past several years. There have been a couple of years where BMW sales declined, but a lot less than the general decline in motorcycle sales. And again, they grew a little. That does not meet my definition of "tanking." Other folks might have different definitions of that work. Sears is tanking. BMW Motorrad USA is not.

My humble opinion I would peg this as "good" performance given the state of the industry.
In large touring for example, HD is down double digits, and has been down several quarters now.

BMW will puts out its annual report and much of the information will be in it. They also report sales and breakdowns by models in the US to the Motorcycle Industry Council. Head over to mic.org and click on resources on the home page. That will take you to a page where you buy one of their annual reports that breakdown all member company sales figures. At $495.00 dollars the annual report is beyond my budget.

We all have our ideas of how well BMW sales are doing in the US - I think they are doing fine, could be better, but they are doing better than many - the point is they seem to think they are doing well enough to stay in this market to make a dollar.

Guilty as Charged

Mea culpa. "Tanking" was a poor word choice on my part, but "failing to grow" does not have a neat descriptor. The figure I'd most like to see is how many of the 13K sales in the U.S. were to repeat buyers vs new customers. That comparison is the more telling. If you don't grow your base you ought not be surprised when you lose market share, whether in business or in politics.....

Mea culpa. "Tanking" was a poor word choice on my part, but "failing to grow" does not have a neat descriptor. The figure I'd most like to see is how many of the 13K sales in the U.S. were to repeat buyers vs new customers. That comparison is the more telling. If you don't grow your base you ought not be surprised when you lose market share, whether in business or in politics.....

I think the word you were looking for is "stagnant."

From the reps that I talk with at the track, Suzuki might be flirting with 'tanking.' Time will tell.

BMW will be around for a long time, but not a global kingpin in the industry. Tough to dethrone Honda. :dance

Tanking is what has been happening to Harley and Yamaha sales.

Yamaha has already pulled production of the Transcontinental and Eluder new touring machines to "order only". Significant fail (heads gotta roll on that one). Why they believed air-cooled was the way to go on the large CI engine, while they had access to excellent water cooled technology, puzzles me. Huge chassis if you've ever sat on one.

Last edited:
Yamaha has already pulled production of the Transcontinental and Eluder new touring machines to "order only". Significant fail (heads gotta roll on that one). Why they believed air-cooled was the way to go on the large CI engine, while they had access to excellent water cooled technology, puzzles me. Huge chassis if you've ever sat on one.

Yup.

I know Timo Resch emphasizes GS/GSA and the 1600s in general are leading sales, but IMO at least 75% of GS/GSA sales to OLDER riders has to do primarily with curb weight, not off-road aspirations. Nearly uniformly riders begin looking to downsize weight as they reach a critical age, and yet I'm sure very few would also like to downsize features. Also in general the older the rider gets the more frequently they are riding 1-up. So where does this leave the guy/gal who's starting to not want to push around even an RT around the garage let alone a K1600, yet doesn't want to part w/ full on comfort, performance and tech? Older riders generally start caring for ergonomics compatible w/ an aging body. This is a reason why going to either R1200RS or GS/GSA doesn't work so well. RS for its forward lean and poor weather management, and GS/GSA for how high you hoist your leg/hip up to get the thing over those tall side cases. Neither comes w/ an electric windscreen. Why is it you find electric screens on R1200RT and K1600 non-baggers? Because they are a very important part of full on comfort. And yet, you won't find one on a BMW until you hit 604lbs and up in curb weight. There is nothing necessary about this!

If done very well, including styling emphasizing sport, and sacrificing little to nothing for performance, tech, comfort, I believe sales would be substantial, at the risk of stealing sales from GS/GSA/RS for this niche. No other brand offers this type of configuration--there are always sacrifices. Here's a possible configuration. I know some knee-jerk away from belt-drive but having enjoyed the one on my former F800GT I have no qualms about including this in a luxury sport touring model as they are lightweight, quiet, clean, efficient, and have zero maintenance, and as a side point are safer in terms of catastrophic rear-wheel lock up than the other final drive types.

• A smooth inline triple or quad at around 950cc w/ something on the order of 110HP.
  • Belt drive. This is a significant reason why people bought F800GT/ST models if you query owners. On this new model we would use belt because of its considerable weight reduction while maintaining a clean, quiet, efficient and maintenance-free final drive. Aim for a 40-50K mile belt change interval, this is important.
  • All modern performance and handling tech: ABS Pro, ASC, Ride Modes, Dynamic ESA at a minimum, TPM, TFT Dash.
  • Comfort tech: CRITICAL—a full height electric screen. You don’t get this until you hit at least 604lbs, and yet most older riders and touring-oriented riders see this as a important comfort feature. Heated grips, heated seat. NO NEED for audio packages or central locking—keep these off to reduce weight and cost. Cruise control of course. Fairing can be trimmed like R1200RS or perhaps a bit more robust.
  • Ergonomics must be similar to RT w/ a slight forward lean but otherwise mostly neutral positioning required for the touring side.
  • Styling: needs to appear sporting, but w/ more touring-friendly ergonomics.

With the exception of the electric screen you could pretty well satisfy your wants with an R1200R (510lb wet weight) equipped with an aftermarket windshield or sport fairing. Well-integrated saddlebags and topcase available, and a proven power train that would eliminate a huge development expense. Everyone seems to overlook the —R bikes yet they are popular with the older “downsizing riders” and I have never met anyone who has been unhappy with their —R bike. Just a thought...

Best,
DG

With the exception of the electric screen you could pretty well satisfy your wants with an R1200R (510lb wet weight) equipped with an aftermarket windshield or sport fairing. Well-integrated saddlebags and topcase available, and a proven power train that would eliminate a huge development expense. Everyone seems to overlook the —R bikes yet they are popular with the older “downsizing riders” and I have never met anyone who has been unhappy with their —R bike. Just a thought...

Best,
DG

That's just another compromise of many. I'm after full on turn-key comfort/tech/performance w/ a slightly trimmed fairing and the electric windscreen you find on every BMW touring model as a basic requirement. No brand makes this model and if done right would capture a whole bunch of ST aficionados who are starting to be concerned w/ curb weight. They currently choose R bikes and GS/GSA because the model described is not currently offered!

Back