• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Changing spark plugs

romoto

Can anyone direct me to a site/post that shows step by step sparkplug removal and install on a 2013 G650GS? I've looked on you tube and they have nothing on the G650GS as far as I can tell. The mechanic quoted $500 dollars for the 12000 miles service , which includes valve check and oil change. I would like to attempt doing it myself and spend the money on adding some better lighting for my bike . Any thoughts, suggestions? Thanks in advance!

Unfortunately, Clymer or Haynes, as far as I know, don't make a decent repair manual. You can purchase the official BMW RepRom DVD from most dealers. It's not cheap, but you'd still make out better than having the dealer complete the 12k service. (Plus you'd be able to do anything/everything else that the bike needs).

Once you get it, we'll all be waiting for you to shoot a Youtube video :brad

In order to check valve clearances you need to remove the air box. And the valve cover. To remove the valve cover the spark plug leads must be removed from the spark plugs. Once this is done there they are in plain sight. Use a thin wall socket.

Unfortunately, Clymer or Haynes, as far as I know, don't make a decent repair manual. You can purchase the official BMW RepRom DVD from most dealers. It's not cheap, but you'd still make out better than having the dealer complete the 12k service. (Plus you'd be able to do anything/everything else that the bike needs).

Once you get it, we'll all be waiting for you to shoot a Youtube video :brad

Thank you! I often feel that the 650GS is the "poor brother" of the BMW adventure bike family. Not many accessories, manuals or repairs "how -to's" available on the web.

In order to check valve clearances you need to remove the air box. And the valve cover. To remove the valve cover the spark plug leads must be removed from the spark plugs. Once this is done there they are in plain sight. Use a thin wall socket.

Many thanks! Luckily, one of my colleague aircraft mechanic is also a motorcycle owner/rider. Maybe I'll twist his arms and get his assistance with the project (some beer might have to be involved).

Thank you! I often feel that the 650GS is the "poor brother" of the BMW adventure bike family. Not many accessories, manuals or repairs "how -to's" available on the web.

Yep - totally agree - I had a 2009 G650GS (which was 95% F650). Most manufactures seemed to have jumped ship when the F650/800 Twins came out

This guide on ADVrider will get you kinda of close (obviously use with your own risk)

Have you checked out Crossroadz's site?
http://www.f650gs.crossroadz.com.au/RepairLinks.html

Yep - totally agree - I had a 2009 G650GS (which was 95% F650). Most manufactures seemed to have jumped ship when the F650/800 Twins came out

This guide on ADVrider will get you kinda of close (obviously use with your own risk)

Have you checked out Crossroadz's site?
http://www.f650gs.crossroadz.com.au/RepairLinks.html

Than you so much for the link. That's exactly the info I was looking for! Now the only thing left is to do a reality check and see if I'm really up for it (the pictures don't inspire confidence...LOL).

Pulling the stick coil off can also be done with string or a couple screwdrivers, but it is best done with a tool.

Make sure you disconnect the coil lead first, that way you won't break the connector... been there, done that, was unfun.

Back