• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

2005 K1200S Clutch fluid

bige1340

I was planning on flushing out the clutch fluid . What is the " Mineral Oil " that they speak of ? Can I just use DOT 4 brake fluid ? What happens if I do ?

Can I just use DOT 4 brake fluid ? What happens if I do ?

1.No.
2.Bad things

Mineral oil doesn't absorb moisture which is a plus. Its used because it doesn't have to deal with the heat generated in a braking system. Its also favoured by more than one European bike manufacturer. I don't believe the seals in our clutch hydraulic system are compatible with DOT 4.

Mineral oil is available from your favourite BMW or KTM store.

ditto on the NO DOT 4.

BMW has two different part numbers for the mineral oil as well. There is a red and a blue. Thinking out loud, the blue was in the parts fiche on the Wedgies. I have both and if any work is done on the circuit,like replacing a broken line, just match what I find. It rarely needs a flush and do not think it is in any maintenance schedule.

Magura, who makes brake and hydraulic systems sells a red as well at most bicycle shops. Just a FYI...Baby Oil is mineral oil as well...but I would only use it if I was stuck somewhere with a rare leak and the drug store was the only place in my line of vision:D

Dot 4 and Mineral are totally incompatible. The wrong one used will absolutely destroy seals and other rubber parts in the system. When DOT 4 is specified the parts are compatible. When Mineral oil is specified the parts are compatible. The use of the other fluid will destroy the system and cost you a thousand or more to fix.

Back