• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Snowflake Rim Repair

tlangman4

Hi again everyone-

Latest question regarding the rebuild of my newly acquired ‘81 R65..

Upon closer examination, it appears previous owner managed to hit a curb or something hard enough to cause what appears to be a flat spot on one side of the front rim, up on the top near the tire bead. I recall a similar issue with my ‘79 R100RS, and the BMW shop I used at that time sent it somewhere for repairs.

I am not overly comfortable with the thought of repairing a rim with a bit of a flat spot, but do remember that it worked fine with the RS. Is this a fairly common issue with these rims?? The tire holds air, but is visibly flatter for about a two inch section.

I would appreciate any feedback on this issue and perhaps recommendations for the repair work to be completed.

Thanks!!

Tom

Tom -

Probably best to get things taken care of...those rims are all that's keeping you from hitting the ground. My signature line has a section on wheels and rims, but Buchannon's and Woody's Wheel Works are places that come to mind. Maybe talk to them and see what they have to say.

I had a set of badly damaged Snowflakes repaired by our local wheel shop with no issues. Suggest you have your BMW tech check that the wheel is compliant to BMW spec after it comes back from the wheel shop.

I would advise against straightening a cast rim. It is also contrary to BMW's recommendations to straighten any safety critical parts. A cast rim that has been bent will probably develop microcracks during the straightening process. These cracks can later grow in service with a bad results.

Four years ago I had a bent front wheel from hitting a curb at speed. I made a appointment with Woodys. I rode my K-75 RT in there and took off my front wheel. 2 hrs later I had a straitened wheel, new tire and bearings for a very reasonable cost.
Good service from those guys!

Four years ago I had a bent front wheel from hitting a curb at speed. I made a appointment with Woodys. I rode my K-75 RT in there and took off my front wheel. 2 hrs later I had a straitened wheel, new tire and bearings for a very reasonable cost.
Good service from those guys!

Thanks for this, I will contact Woody’s..!

Thanks for this, I will contact Woody’s..!

Woody's will be very willing to tell you, after a look-see, that they will or won't straighten your wheel. I hit a chunk of 4"x4" wood and damaged a steel spoked wheel on an F650 severely enough the inner tube was visible from the side looking at the ding in the wheel. I sent if off to Woody's and they tried and decided they were not comfortable with the result. I had them lace a new rim to the hub with new spokes. My point is that if they don't like what they see they simply will not do it.

Woody's will be very willing to tell you, after a look-see, that they will or won't straighten your wheel. I hit a chunk of 4"x4" wood and damaged a steel spoked wheel on an F650 severely enough the inner tube was visible from the side looking at the ding in the wheel. I sent if off to Woody's and they tried and decided they were not comfortable with the result. I had them lace a new rim to the hub with new spokes. My point is that if they don't like what they see they simply will not do it.

Thanks, Paul. That’s good to know.

Back