• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Zip Ties

Getting ready to put new brake lines on the 94 R1100RS and am wondering, do I need to be as anal about zip ties as bmw seems to be? ( I think some German factory workers out of habit zip one around you know what after restroom trips) I know that I have removed many more ties than what I have replaced. So what do most of you do when you work on your bikes, replace all that you remove, replace what you think is needed or make a mental note to buy some zip ties before the next time you work on bike?
Final question for those who replace all zip ties that they remove, if you runout of black ties do you use a different color tie in its place?

I use less and definitely remove the worst culprit on Oilheads at the steering neck,right side by the frame badge. It' the one that causes a hinge effect and breaks the wires. Seems the kill switch circuit is the victim more often.
Some are seriously strangling the looms. I stay with black unless during a teardown and use colors to flag things. I rarely replace all the factory installed and use enough to keep things in place.

I have no qualms about using different colors. What color depends on that wire's (or harness section's) purpose and how visible it will be.

I replace with black sized the same and position them where they are needed.
Other colours are not UV resistant.

Zip ties

Like all manufacturers, BMW wouldn't put a washer, rubber bump stop or zip tie anywhere that didn't think it necessary. $.05 saved per vehicle, multiplied by the total production and you're talking thousands. My rule is, and always has been, if you take it off, put it back on. Folks with a whole lot more knowledge and expertise that I have determined that it needs to be there. Key word = needs. If it didn't need to be there, it wouldn't have been installed at the factory.
My $.02.

Like all manufacturers, BMW wouldn't put a washer, rubber bump stop or zip tie anywhere that didn't think it necessary. $.05 saved per vehicle, multiplied by the total production and you're talking thousands. My rule is, and always has been, if you take it off, put it back on. Folks with a whole lot more knowledge and expertise that I have determined that it needs to be there. Key word = needs. If it didn't need to be there, it wouldn't have been installed at the factory.
My $.02.

Except the GS1150 ignition switch harness....:banghead
And oilhead final drive shimming

My $.02.

I respect that line of thought...however, real life experience has demonstrated sometimes overkill and bad placement causes problems as the poor location I mentioned earlier. Having fixed three of our own after no starts or suggested a good spot to look for a broken wire as was done for me is not a performance design BMW was looking for. A tie down should not cause problems. There is no spec on ziptie tightness I know of so humans come into play.
I imagine a brand new harness is very flexible and may need more ties than a set in place memory setting a harness develops.

Our relatively new KTM's came with frame matching zips...they are breaking down from sunlight and ozone...I just keep repeating the orange theme because it's prettier so what do I know:banghead Sure the engineers knew what the life of an orange exposed tie was or they would not have done so.:scratch

I respect that line of thought...however, real life experience has demonstrated sometimes overkill and bad placement causes problems as the poor location I mentioned earlier. Having fixed three of our own after no starts or suggested a good spot to look for a broken wire as was done for me is not a performance design BMW was looking for. A tie down should not cause problems. There is no spec on ziptie tightness I know of so humans come into play.
I imagine a brand new harness is very flexible and may need more ties than a set in place memory setting a harness develops.

Our relatively new KTM's came with frame matching zips...they are breaking down from sunlight and ozone...I just keep repeating the orange theme because it's prettier so what do I know:banghead Sure the engineers knew what the life of an orange exposed tie was or they would not have done so.:scratch

Ty tension is not typically left to the assembler. There is a published production spec.
Some tools here.
https://www.panduit.com/en/products...cable-tie-installation-tools-accessories.html

I knew there was a tool and some guidelines, just often wonder how some are so tight between like models:dunno

We used to bundle three-phase insulated feeder cables from 250MCM to 1000MCM...some splicers could barely get them bundled with zips, the Mongos could cut insulation :banghead

Yeah, I ran a 22 person control system/switchgear manufacturing shop. Lots of variation! :huh

The guy who decided where to put wire ties on the R1150 series bike was either the village idiot or the intern that week. Specifically the tie tha caused the wiring to the ignition switch assembly that caused bundle flexing and breaking of the wires was simply, plainly, wrong. Other tie placement was overkill but didn't do a lot of harm. But the bundle at the switch and fork assembly was an idiot and I would say that to his or her face. Many if not most 1150 bikes had wire bundle failure due to this guy or gals exuberance.

Ditto on the F650 Dakar bikes circa 2001.

Last edited:
Best signature ever

I use less and definitely remove the worst culprit on Oilheads at the steering neck,right side by the frame badge. It' the one that causes a hinge effect and breaks the wires. Seems the kill switch circuit is the victim more often.
Some are seriously strangling the looms. I stay with black unless during a teardown and use colors to flag things. I rarely replace all the factory installed and use enough to keep things in place.

Steve Henson, I'm not clever enough to add a signature block to my E-mails but yours is the best I've ever read! I'm still chuckling.

Steve Henson, I'm not clever enough to add a signature block to my E-mails but yours is the best I've ever read! I'm still chuckling.

At top of page, click Settings, then on left toolbar under Edit signature:wave
Yeah, my local bank teller had that one taped to her window...I also laughed and borrowed it!

On the zip-tie use, if I add additional wire looms for lighting or such, I often cut off factory ties and add a larger one to keep the number low. I have removed fairing panels and tanks to find zip tie heaven at times...many colors and a LOT of them.

Back