• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

2005 K1200S Valve adjustment

bige1340

At what interval is a valve adjustment required ? Is this a D.I.Y. or best left to the dealer ? What is the approx. cost ? Ideas ?

At what interval is a valve adjustment required ? Is this a D.I.Y. or best left to the dealer ? What is the approx. cost ? Ideas ?

BMW calls for 18,000.
I waited until around 30,000 miles before we had the valves checked on our K1300Ss.

The shop charged me 2.7 hours labor to check valves, change spark plugs and coolant.
Coolant needs to be refilled under vacuum.

BMW calls for 18,000.
I waited until around 30,000 miles before we had the valves checked on our K1300Ss.

The shop charged me 2.7 hours labor to check valves, change spark plugs and coolant.
Coolant needs to be refilled under vacuum.

Ditto.

Sounds like all they did was check the valve adj. ? Sounds like they never did any shim replacement ? Prolly was in spec. ? I was looking at how much to perform an actual adjustment ….

Having checked somewhere near 8 of them, 7 have yet to be out of spec enough to adjust. The one that did was just out of spec...too tight on an intake.

The first time you do one, it def will be more than 2.7 hrs...just sayin'. And you'll need a vacuum tool.

Sounds like all they did was check the valve adj. ? Sounds like they never did any shim replacement ? Prolly was in spec. ? I was looking at how much to perform an actual adjustment ….

Like I said, it was a valve check. They were in spec.
There is no recommend interval for a valve adjustment, you only adjust them when they are out of spec.

I understand you only adjust them when they are out of spec. I get it logical . I was just curious as to how often and how far out of spec they may go ? Thanks Lee

I understand you only adjust them when they are out of spec. I get it logical . I was just curious as to how often and how far out of spec they may go ? Thanks Lee

According to Henzilla's posting, not often and not far. Checked mine at 20,000 and at 45,000 miles and all were in spec both times.

Don't overthink the issue...these motors hold the tolerances well. Once the cam chain tensioner issue was addressed early on and the slappin' cam chain went away they are a pretty solid motor. Many miles on many Wedges out there.

The few that came apart I know about were early models and the cam chain jumping took them out.

Shop rates vary a lot as well. One may be $300, another could $500 plus if adjustment necessary.

Call you local dealer, or visit and get an estimate. I would make sure the known campaign issues were addressed and just go ride, but that's me and my experience having owned two and working on a few more.

Local dealer sent me a quote of $1100 to do the adjustment if needed. I am capable of " checking " the valve lash myself and considering doing the adjustment myself if needed ? I know there are some special tools but I would just purchase them . I have already had the jump guard installed on the timing chain , I purchased a manual cam chain adjustment kit and now need to take it to the dealer for the rear drive flange recall and fuel pump recall . I will do this in the spring time .
Thanks again gentlemen !

How many miles on your bike? That price is not out of line, I don't charge anywhere near that, but could if my rate was higher depending on how many shims are needed. Taking them out and replacing takes a lot of time.

You gotta be snowed in somewhere:wave

If it's a peace of mind thing on a new to you bike I get it, but a lot of dollars for typically a fairly rare need. I could add time and dollars to the ones I have checked...but in spec is in spec and everyone would rather be riding and I don't do unneeded work.
On one of ours, the tensioner upgrade and jump guard on my dime ( prior to campaign) did not stop the start up death rattle and I replaced the chain,sprockets and rails to get it to $$$$top. Thinking the motor had 29K when we bought it.

Not only does it snow and it's cold here in northern Illinois , we have weeks were you don't see the sun ever , then in spring it's a relentless rain that goes on for days on end , then summer and the mosquitos will drain the blood from your body like a bum on empties a cold beer , the weather here literally hurts your face in the winter , other than that all good . I plan on moving to Arizona soon .

My mom was from Glen Ellyn, she only said it was COLD! She left for TX on the train during WWII to attend UT and never went back!

Friends of mine just moved from Los Angeles, where they've lived all their lives, to.....Bloomington, Illinois. His young son loves it, his teenage daughter not-so-much. He just went out and bought his first snow blower. Video of him using it is hilarious. :laugh

Here's what it looks like looking north from my place. The snow is on the mountains where it belongs! Apologies for no motorcycles in this one. Oh, and the picture was taken January12th.

Attachments

• Pitt Meadows, January 2019.jpg
    Pitt Meadows, January 2019.jpg
    259.1 KB · Views: 23
Last edited:
Back