• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

2000 K1200LT Kill switch starter button repair

mslacool

I have a replacement switch ( RH side) assembly with wires purchased used to repair a broken kill switch lever, ( snapped off the red handle) and a missing starter button ( grey round) which still works since the starter button shaft still portrudes and starts the bike.

There are multiple wires on the used switch assembly ( turn turnoff etc) and I would rather avoid all electrical chasing and connections I will have to do if I can in the repair. Can I open up the switch in some fashion to just replace the physical parts ( red lever and grey button) Or must I take the whole assembly out and replace all the long wires that come from it behind the tupperwear...

If I knew what I was getting into, I would just dive in but I don't want to make it worse by exploring.

I just kill the bike with the key and it starts normally with the shaft alone I would like to replace it but also not screw it up.

Advice?

Paul

follow up dove in egad

Okay, got no answers so decided to just tear the whole thing apart and attempt to fix all the small things I have been putting off. Now I know why I put them off.
Cruise control doesnt work. Yellow light doesn't go on any longer. red cruise light on handle does. ( no fix yet)
Broken kill lever and starter button. This required taking off the dash, all fairings, console, frame mount for gas tank, gas tank and everything on the sides to get to the electrical control box, behind the gas tank on the passenger side. After finding the connections, I took apart the right side controls. There is no way to just replace the kill switch easily etc. There is no connector close to the right controls, The connection is down the frame. Any idiot worth his salt would have put a connector near the switches to make repair easy. As I have taken this bike apart, I have had little good to say about anything the engineers did to make this easy to work on. I had to take the center stand and side stand off to swap out the transmission fluid. Any idiot would have made the plug as easy as the oil plug or the final drive plug. Even further frustrating is the election to use different attachment methods for the same functional repair. No rhyme or reason for using torx, different sizes, phillips, hex heads etc for attachments even in the same place, ( for example the gas tank frame has two different size hex heads for functionally the same removal process. Rather than make the speakers easily replaceable, the engineers put them such that one has to remove literally the front of the bike in order to fix a stereo concern. Idiotic.
I can go on but my experience with repairs on this bike is such that I would never hire the guys who built this to build anything for me again. The placement of screws, fascia, attachment points generally leads me to believe that one guy built one part and some other guy two months later built the part that went on top of it. Nobody ever said basically what usually goes wrong and how would it be easiest to fix it.

While I could probably now do it much faster the second time, I haven't been impressed with how these engineers built it the first time.

What year and model are we talking about ?

My money is on a K-LT.
Just a guess based on his mention of speakers.

I've never wrenched a K12LT, but I've also never heard reports of having to take the stand assembly off to access the tranny drain. Maybe that power center stand thing?

At the top of the post it says 2000 K1200LT.

Missed that somehow:scratch And the title has been edited to include the details...a big help
A previous thread at bottom of page describes a 2002 LT...so still wondering a bit after reading it.

Yes, the LT requires a lot of pieces to come off for sure. Not my favorite model to deal with.

The cruise issue can be several issues, including brake or clutch microswitches. A lot of things need to work at the same time. Trying to recall if the 2000 has the newer diagnostic plug or the limited three pin where a GS911 would be a benefit troubleshooting.

On the switch assembly, I have just ended up replacing the unit unless an obvious and repairable by me issue. And as you have found out, sometimes the location of connectors are maddening...but it is what it is. Pulling a fuel tank is required on many models, and some models are a bear.

I too am wondering about the tranny lube issue...do not recall having to remove parts.

Dumb question maybe, but do you have a service manual? I have a cd for 2002 LT vintages for reference to save me from hit or miss guessing how to access and remove parts

Last edited:
i do have a clymers

Missed that somehow:scratch And the title has been edited to include the details...a big help
A previous thread at bottom of page describes a 2002 LT...so still wondering a bit after reading it.

Yes, the LT requires a lot of pieces to come off for sure. Not my favorite model to deal with.

The cruise issue can be several issues, including brake or clutch microswitches. A lot of things need to work at the same time. Trying to recall if the 2000 has the newer diagnostic plug or the limited three pin where a GS911 would be a benefit troubleshooting.

On the switch assembly, I have just ended up replacing the unit unless an obvious and repairable by me issue. And as you have found out, sometimes the location of connectors are maddening...but it is what it is. Pulling a fuel tank is required on many models, and some models are a bear.

I too am wondering about the tranny lube issue...do not recall having to remove parts.

Dumb question maybe, but do you have a service manual? I have a cd for 2002 LT vintages for reference to save me from hit or miss guessing how to access and remove parts

i have cd and manuals.. .

Paul

Any offers of parts for sale should be made through PMs as forum rules do not allow for sale or want to buy posts in the forum.

:dance:dance:dance

Back