Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Anyone ever take the MC training at the BMW Performance Center in SC?

'99 '03 '06 National Co-Rally Chair Friedle's Avatar
    Speaking of MSF training, in some sites they will also offer the "Ultimate Bike Bonding Course" (UBBC) that is a one day course, range only. This course is done on your own bike, any size or style, and concentrates on low speed handling, balance and control. You can find a course description at the MSF HQ site. Check your state MSF site to see if there is a course offered at a local site.

You will come out of this a much better and more confident slow speed rider than you went into it. Learn to avoid the embarrassment of the 23 point U turn, while dragging your feet, in the middle of the street in front of the Starbucks.

Friedle
    MSF 27713
    Ride fast safely

Quote Originally Posted by Friedle View Post
    Speaking of MSF training, in some sites they will also offer the "Ultimate Bike Bonding Course" (UBBC) that is a one day course, range only. This course is done on your own bike, any size or style, and concentrates on low speed handling, balance and control. You can find a course description at the MSF HQ site. Check your state MSF site to see if there is a course offered at a local site.

You will come out of this a much better and more confident slow speed rider than you went into it. Learn to avoid the embarrassment of the 23 point U turn, while dragging your feet, in the middle of the street in front of the Starbucks.

Friedle
    MSF 27713
    If only the MSF had advanced courses like this near Memphis. Here the best I could do was the BRC at the local HD dealer.
    '13 R1200RT 90th Anniversary Edition

I will be taking 2-day off road training at the BMW center in South Carolina. Let you guys know how it goes. Advice from someone much wiser than me, Use their bikes if you can. You will tend to learn more if you are not worried about dropping the bike. I call that the emotional debt factor.
    Dug C
    2018 R1200GS (Felix)
    2015 Triumph Explorer 1200 (Jessica)
    AmenMoto.com

Quote Originally Posted by satxbiker View Post
    I am excited and nervous because I have signed myself up for the 2 day motorcycle authority class in April at the BMW performance center in South Carolina. I have been riding for over 15 years and feel really comfortable on the road, but those fricken fracken tight turns in a parking lot or any super slow maneuver always make me feel nervous and unstable. I have read a ton of stuff and understand about the friction zone on the clutch, counterbalancing the bike with your body and any number of things. I have just been unable to really implement them on my own bike. I am hoping this class will force me out of my comfort zone of leaning into those curves and make me work on the small/slow stuff. I am riding a RT now and I love the bike but it is a beast in slow conditions. I made sure I picked the 1200GS to try and get as close to a weight match as possible to take the class. I will also play the girl card and blame some of my issues on the lack of upper body strength that some of you guys have. I can say that I can pick the bike up myself from a drop! I have full guards on the bike including the ones for the bag so the fact it does not go down all the way really helps. I have dropped the darn thing 3 times! Once when I came to a full unexpected stop from 2 mph with my front wheel fully turned to the left and the other two times I am going to blame the incredibly tall kickstand for the RT. Am I the only person who feels that bike hardly leans over at all? If you stop on any kind of slope to the right, you run the risk of the bike falling over to the right with the right wind or touch on the handle bar. I am now very very careful about where I put that kickstand down.

I appreciate any feedback or tips from anyone who has taken any training at either performance center from BMW. Thanks everyone!
    Hi Lynn, I am a alumni of the 2 day Authority Training and highly recommend the class. I can say with certainty that you will leave the class with a lot of confidence and drills to perform on a daily riding basis to sharpen the skills the class will instill in you and to keep progressing along a strong learning curve towards self confidence. I was fortunate enough to take their first offered class and feel quite comfortable with saying its was some of the best training dollars I've spent. If you get the MOA ON magazine, you can read about my experience at the training and what I came away with. I will say, once you finish the course, every time you find a deserted parking lot with stripped parking spaces, you will use them to practice you tight turns, weaves, and eye sight training on a daily riding basis. My new routine, even in the dead of winter, after riding to breakfast, is to hit two different parking lots to drill on my tight circle and figure eight turns. So, I think you will be pleasantly surprised at your accelerated learning ability once you finish the class. And don't worry about dropping the bike, I lost count how many times I dropped their 1200 GS, but if your not dropping the bike, your not challenging yourself enough in the course. They will do a quick pick-up demonstration, but there are always plenty of hands to help you pick the beast up so that you don't wear yourself out doing pick-ups, and wear yourself out doing turns and learning. I will say, I was exhausted at the end of both days, but I was there to learn the limits of my ability, and did so quite aggressively......And I should mention that the instructors at the course are first rate motorcycle riders who are dedicated to improving your skills as a motorcycle rider, so don't have any apprehensions as to their willingness to bust their butts off to teach you new abilities.....
    Enjoy and post back at the end of your training. Walt E.

Quote Originally Posted by The_Veg View Post
    I don't see this training listed on BMWPC's website. Is it open to non-cops, or is it a 'secret menu item?'
    It's called the Motorcycle Authority class. It is 2 days and mostly (at least from what I have seen) on Mondays and Tuesdays.
    Lynn Lopez - 19 S1000XR
    Keeping two wheels down and waving at everyone!
    SATXBiker
    San Antonio, TX

Thanks so much everyone for the feedback. I am excited about going to the class. I will post feedback when I get back, but that won't be till after April.
    Lynn Lopez - 19 S1000XR
    Keeping two wheels down and waving at everyone!
    SATXBiker
    San Antonio, TX

Dress for fall & avoid it AlanColes's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by dug_c View Post
    I will be taking 2-day off road training at the BMW center in South Carolina. Let you guys know how it goes. Advice from someone much wiser than me, Use their bikes if you can. You will tend to learn more if you are not worried about dropping the bike. I call that the emotional debt factor.
    Dug C, are you doing the June 7-8 course just before the MOA Rally, so a different one? I'm scheduled in for that course on June 7-8.
    Regards, Alan - President BMWONS - BMWMOA/BMWRA/BMWONS/Airheads
    Current: 2019 R1250RT / '06 Ducati ST3s / '91 R100GS / '86 R80RT / '75 R90S / '73 850 & '70 750 Commando Prev: '14 R1200RT / '04 R1150RT / '81 Honda GL1100 / '77 Suzuki GS750 / '73 Norton 850 Commando

Tried the One-Day Class

Lynn, I took the one day on-road training. I'm a senior citizen and was quite adequately challenged by it. Congratulations on your going for the Authority class.

The one-day training was great! The instructor was excellent, as was the full-time BMW trainer. They encouraged in a very positive manner without pushing to the point of damaging the experience. We did both tight turns and higher speed cornering, finishing with a few laps of the car course at whatever speed we were capable of. Emergency counter-steer avoidance turns, a tightening weave around a series of cones, emergency braking (one student managed to do a "stoppie"). And the general experience at their facility was great.

I've tried the off-road course a couple of times, including the day after the on-road course. I flunked! Conclusion: I'll never be competent at riding on loose gravel. I'd still like to build experience riding on well-maintained dirt but do not know how to go about that.

I just signed up for the May course in SC.
    2018 R1200gsa

Quote Originally Posted by AlanColes View Post
    Dug C, are you doing the June 7-8 course just before the MOA Rally, so a different one? I'm scheduled in for that course on June 7-8.
    Alan, sorry I missed this post. No, I am attending the March 2/3 course. I hope the weather improves by then. Will post how it goes.
    Dug C
    2018 R1200GS (Felix)
    AmenMoto.com

I just completed the 2 Day Off road Enduro Skills training at the Greenville BMW Performance Center. All I can say is Wow!

Top 5 things about taking the 2 day Off Enduro Skills Training at the BMW Performance Center:

5) The instructors are good, really good. They will show you the skills and allow you to challenge yourself as you feel comfortable doing. They all have tons of ours of experience and are seemingly fearless on the bikes.

4) An R1200GS will do more off road that I could imagine. In our endurance runs, we were weaving in and around trees, rocks, water and other obstacles. Basically, the R1200GS will “tractor” itself around at idle and you only need a slight clutch slip to slow it down. I can also tell you it’s way easier to pick up than the Triumph Explorer.

3) I was do more on an R1200GS than I could imagine I could do. From riding standing with the opposite foot and the other foot out in space, to standing starts and stops (off the bike) and gravel/sand pits. I also learned that I am out of shape. The first night, I was in bed by 7:00 and Sunday my legs and hands hurt like crazy.

2) If offered, take a school on a rental bike. We had 11 students and ALL of us were on rental bikes. It was an additional $200 to use their bikes and it is worth every penny. They wisely state that you should not try to save the bike but rather bail and make a graceful exit from the bike. I saved the bike early on Saturday and hurt my leg a bit. After that, it was Goodbye my Spanish Ladies. We had one failure with a bike taking a rock in the valve cover. It was replaced with another bike in 5 minutes. We had 9 1200s and 2 800 GSs. Observation was that the class was easier to take on the 1200 vs. the 800 (I would not have predicted that).

1) BMW cookies are the best in the world. There must the 4 different types of chocolate chips in the cookies. The hospitality at the BMW Performance Center is 5 star. The Performance Center is a three-ring circus with car performance, highway safety, teen training and Motorrad on-road and off-road training, all in one facility. Truly amazing.

On paper, the training looks pricey but the value I got from the class is priceless. I have no regrets having taken the school. They say that a good on-road rider is not a good off-road rider but a proficient off-road rider is a good on-road rider.
    Dug C
    2018 R1200GS (Felix)
    AmenMoto.com

Sounds like you had a great time!

I just completed the 2 Day Off road Enduro Skills training at the Greenville BMW Performance Center. All I can say is Wow!

Top 5 things about taking the 2 day Off Enduro Skills Training at the BMW Performance Center:

5) The instructors are good, really good. They will show you the skills and allow you to challenge yourself as you feel comfortable doing. They all have tons of ours of experience and are seemingly fearless on the bikes.

4) An R1200GS will do more off road that I could imagine. In our endurance runs, we were weaving in and around trees, rocks, water and other obstacles. Basically, the R1200GS will “tractor” itself around at idle and you only need a slight clutch slip to slow it down. I can also tell you it’s way easier to pick up than the Triumph Explorer.

3) I was do more on an R1200GS than I could imagine I could do. From riding standing with the opposite foot and the other foot out in space, to standing starts and stops (off the bike) and gravel/sand pits. I also learned that I am out of shape. The first night, I was in bed by 7:00 and Sunday my legs and hands hurt like crazy.

2) If offered, take a school on a rental bike. We had 11 students and ALL of us were on rental bikes. It was an additional $200 to use their bikes and it is worth every penny. They wisely state that you should not try to save the bike but rather bail and make a graceful exit from the bike. I saved the bike early on Saturday and hurt my leg a bit. After that, it was Goodbye my Spanish Ladies. We had one failure with a bike taking a rock in the valve cover. It was replaced with another bike in 5 minutes. We had 9 1200s and 2 800 GSs. Observation was that the class was easier to take on the 1200 vs. the 800 (I would not have predicted that).

1) BMW cookies are the best in the world. There must the 4 different types of chocolate chips in the cookies. The hospitality at the BMW Performance Center is 5 star. The Performance Center is a three-ring circus with car performance, highway safety, teen training and Motorrad on-road and off-road training, all in one facility. Truly amazing.

On paper, the training looks pricey but the value I got from the class is priceless. I have no regrets having taken the school. They say that a good on-road rider is not a good off-road rider but a proficient off-road rider is a good on-road rider.
    2018 R1200gsa

+1.

(I wuz there too!)

Highly recommended course!

Quote Originally Posted by vcheng View Post
    +1.

(I wuz there too!)

Highly recommended course!
    It was great to meet you. Will you be going to the MOA bash in June? If so, we need to meet up.

I was really nervous about attending the school but now I am really glad I attended. Now if it would warm up so I can go out and run circles......
    Dug C
    2018 R1200GS (Felix)
    AmenMoto.com

It was great to meet you. Will you be going to the MOA bash in June? If so, we need to meet up.

I was really nervous about attending the school but now I am really glad I attended. Now if it would warm up so I can go out and run circles......
    The entire class was a pleasure to meet, and to participate in the course. Like you, I am also really glad I attended it, and learned a lot. I will try to make it to the bash, but it looks unlikely. We will of course keep in touch.

I am waiting for better weather to put all the newly gained knowledge into practice. It was 8 degrees this morning.

One thing I want to add is that it is a good idea to rent their bikes, but please consider riding it as if you were riding your own bike. After all, one wants to learn habits applicable to one's own bike, right? I treated the rental bike as I would my own and I think that after the course, I could take my own bike around that circuit without any mechanical abuse.

That last trip around behind Roberto and my friend JD through the Rock Garden in the pouring rain was a challenge indeed. We did the massive Camel Humps every which way in the rain as well, and the river crossing twice. I opted to skip a section of the rock path since I was getting tired by the end of the day. The thing that I personally enjoyed the most was blitzing around the race track.