• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

2012 R1200 RT valve cover gaskets

JPICKENS123128

Hi, new member here.

I managed to scrape the left valve cover on my bike. It has less than 1500 miles though is a 2012.

I plan to replace the cover. The question is: replace gaskets or reuse? I have read on this forum that the gaskets can be reused, and this is a very low mileage machine.

Thoughts ?

Thanks in advance.

Welcome!

Those gaskets are very durable and only need to be replaced if torn or otherwise damaged and leaking. Keep in mind that there are different different valve cover colors. I think there two, a dark-ish grey like those on my anniversary edition, and the more common silver (there may be others but I'm not sure offhand). Point is, just make sure you order the correct one for you bike. Check the MaxBMW or RealOEM fiches. I think RealOEM might key off your VIN number.

Welcome!

Those gaskets are very durable and only need to be replaced if torn or otherwise damaged and leaking. Keep in mind that there are different different valve cover colors. I think there two, a dark-ish grey like those on my anniversary edition, and the more common silver (there may be others but I'm not sure offhand). Point is, just make sure you order the correct one for you bike. Check the MaxBMW or RealOEM fiches. I think RealOEM might key off your VIN number.

+1

I have 100,000 mi on my 07 and I'm still using the original gaskets.

Hi, new member here.

I managed to scrape the left valve cover on my bike. It has less than 1500 miles though is a 2012.

I plan to replace the cover. The question is: replace gaskets or reuse? I have read on this forum that the gaskets can be reused, and this is a very low mileage machine.

Thoughts ?

Thanks in advance.

Welcome to German vehicles ... valve cover gaskets are reusable. (Yes, I know about VW Beetles) Just don't glue them on.

Back