• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

2018 RT headlight and tail light question

Ragman2

New to BMWs so I have a dumb question...

My daughter was filming me putting the RT in the garage. I viewed it later and saw that my headlights and tail lights were flashing. I only have 2K on the bike right now and since I can't see my lights when riding, I never noticed this. Does anyone know what causes this. Can I control this on the bike?

Just the effect of the camera shutter speed being out of sync with the LEDs on your bike.

Keep calm and carry on. [emoji3]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nothing wrong I bet it, just the LED lights that show up that way on camera. The front ring lights and tail lights are LED. Turn your bike on and look...you won't see anything with the nake eye but camera picks it up.

LEDs flash at a rate faster than we can see. This makes the LEDs more efficient and last longer. Certain camera frame rates will capture the LEDs flashing. It's all good and there is nothing wrong.

Do any or all '18 RT's have dynamic brake control...where taillight flashes as brake applied from certain speed?

LEDs flash at a rate faster than we can see. This makes the LEDs more efficient and last longer. Certain camera frame rates will capture the LEDs flashing. It's all good and there is nothing wrong.

Thanks!!! I want to test that out.

This is a cut-and-paste from another thread that I responded to regarding brighter lights on the R1200RTW -

--begin insertion ---

On my 2018 R1200RTW I modeled my aux lighting (and crashbars) after that shown by bmwdean. The Clearwater lights are awesome, integrate well with the bike's Canbus system, and provide better conspicuity.

The only downside of LED lights that use PWM (pulse width modulation) to control brightness is apparent when making a Go-Pro-type motorcycle video. The rapid on/off feature of PWM is not visible to human eyes, but digital cameras can record this effect. When the recorded video is played back on a computer the lights appear to be flashing (the rear tail llight also does this flashing). I've found this to be a bit distracting when viewing a video recording - perhaps I'll get used to it.

A short video clip illustrating this LED flashing may be viewed by clicking the link below -

https://www.dropbox.com/s/luhugry3xpxjgar/PWM-on-LED.mp4?dl=0

Thanks

You are all right.

The blinking lights only show up when filming. I liked the effect though. I was hoping that was something I could turn on.

Back