• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

1250 maintenance questions?

jimbem

does anyone know yet if the procedures for adjusting the valves and checking cam timing is the same for the shiftcam motor as the 1200w motor? And will my cam tensioning tool, tdc tool and the cam timing tool from my 2015 work on the new motor? Also are the service intervals the same ? I plan to buy a new r1250rt in about a year and am curious to learn if i will still be able to do my own service.Thanks

I have no idea as to the specific answers to your question, but would also venture that even if the procedure is different, if you can read the instructions for your current bike and do the maintenance then you will be able to read and/or see the instructions for the new bike and do that too. Maybe a new tool will be required but valve clearances are valve clearances. Measure and get them right.

I am not so sure the cam chain tool for the 1200 will work on the 1250. They have gone to a 3 piece "flat" cam chain and that means that it is likely the cam chain tension is different.

Just a wag, but I agree that the tension is different; also, while the base circle has to be the same, would they actually wear at identical rates? Fer now (with zero experience on these), I'd say check both places and adjust the tighter one for correct clearance.

Another WAG: The base circle area sees no load due to the clearance. When the bike is hot it close up a lot but it should never be in contact while running. So, no load means no wear to the cam at that location. Knowing that, if/when I own one, I'd probably still check it at both positions , assuming of course that it can be easily moved, because I can be anal about such things.

I don't understand how the spacer would change the tension. You turn the cam chain tool until it slips at its preset torque value. Please 'splain this to me! :)

FWIW I had my R1200RS valves checked twice (over approx 35k miles) by the dealer, found no adjustment needed. The design is for wear to be complementing, largely self compensating. Great Engineering. I'm not saying checking is not needed...just that the issue is MUCH less than it was on the old airheads for instance.

Unless engine maintenance is part of your joy of owernship, worrying about tools for this moot.

Since my engine is well settled in now, I will not even think about it till I'm well over 70k miles.

Regarding that cam base circle:

If your valve's adjustment is too tight, the follower rides on the base circle (the "flat") continually, and this will increase the wear there, and on the follower. (A drastic case would even prevent the valve from fully closing.) Which flat wears more quickly would then depend on which lobe the selector mechanism decides to spend more time on.
How do they get tight?
1) Improper shimming during setup or maintenance.
2) Normal wear - as the valve seat gets pounded by the valve, and the backside of the valve hammers the seat, they get a little thinner and/or deform. This issue is typically more common on the exhaust side due to the higher temperatures there than on the intake; it hasn't been a "typical problem" for decades but can still happen.

Several members on this forum have exclaimed "I set my valves Exactly to the factory spec and will not deviate from this", either because: 1) "The factory is always right", or 2) "Somebody on the web said that I'll get a quarter horsepower more out of it". (This is aside from the fact that anybody who can set valves can also show, at will, that setting them a teeny bit loose makes starting easier and lets the engine spin up AND down easier; it will also allow that adjustment to last longer. I won't get into how valve adjustment affects intake vacuum and throttle-body balance.)
Since the clearance tightens up anyway with wear (on oilheads, Ks, and subsequent models), these folks are at greater risk.
It's great that these items need much less maintenance these days (and we have yet to build up a history with this tech on the bikes), but that doesn't mean you can ignore it completely.

I also agree that the chain tension itself likely is different, too: it's a completely different type of chain, which resists wear and twisting better than a single-run chain, and it's "probably" manufactured (an educated wag) with different clearances between its side plates and roller pins.

Yes you surely get it.

Yes I did forget the new chain design so that may be why the tensioner tool is unobtainable?

But if the spring and size of the cam chain tensioner on the 1250 is the same as the 1200 then who knows?

The engine engineers at BMW? ;)

Back