Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Rental Scooters...not full size Scooters

Quote Originally Posted by PGlaves View Post
    These are about 2/3 in weight and in speed of the 49cc Sears and Roebuck Allstate Moped (by Puch) I bought when 14 years old. I suspect they will in fact lead some riders to small bikes, and then some of them to bigger bikes. I know for a fact that oldsters thought I was a menace on my moped. Some of them told my parents that was true.
    Might lead one or two oddball kids to real bikes, but I suspect that the majority of youngsters using them wish that the things drove themselves so they could keep playing with their phones.
    2012 R1200GS
    "If you can't fix it with a hammer, it's electrical." -somebody's dad
    http://www.thethingaboutcars.com/

My home town of Portsmouth NH, which is small (pop 21K, swelling to over 60K in the summer) but congested and rather tight on parking, has decided to allow any vehicle which qualifies as a moped (50cc or under, automatic clutch, no shifter, top speed of no more than 35 mph) to park on the sidewalks with no charge for meters etc. In NH, mopeds do not require a motorcycle license. On any summer day it's not unusual to see 100+ scooters parked around town. Both my wife and I have such scooters and they are our preferred method of transportation as long as weather permits. Scooters are the favored transportation for many of the downtown workers as well as automobile parking in the downtown area is likely to cost about $8.00 per day. Some of these hardy souls run their Honda Ruckus scooters (the favored scoot of the young) throughout the winter. Based on our local experience I'd suggest that small scooters are a useful device for urban transportation.
    BMW R bike rider, horizontally opposed to everything...

Quote Originally Posted by Anyname View Post
    My home town of Portsmouth NH, which is small (pop 21K, swelling to over 60K in the summer) but congested and rather tight on parking, has decided to allow any vehicle which qualifies as a moped (50cc or under, automatic clutch, no shifter, top speed of no more than 35 mph) to park on the sidewalks with no charge for meters etc. In NH, mopeds do not require a motorcycle license. On any summer day it's not unusual to see 100+ scooters parked around town. Both my wife and I have such scooters and they are our preferred method of transportation as long as weather permits. Scooters are the favored transportation for many of the downtown workers as well as automobile parking in the downtown area is likely to cost about $8.00 per day. Some of these hardy souls run their Honda Ruckus scooters (the favored scoot of the young) throughout the winter. Based on our local experience I'd suggest that small scooters are a useful device for urban transportation.
    Absolutely!

Nobody actually needs 1600 or 1800 cc to meet their mobility needs in urban areas.
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://web.bigbend.net/~glaves/

I am still talking about dockless scooters, not moped style Vespas and the like. There is a large presence of moped/Vespas running around but the stand up and now sit on scooters is the new territory. Scooter is a broad brush...like saying you ride a F650...more info needed please The BMW scooter and a dockless Bird are miles apart.

IMG_3055-1-e1528491764543.jpg

Texas, and the City of Austin are confused on licensing requirements. A 50cc moped requires a motorcycle endorsement license and a helmet if under 18. A 49cc moped needs no motorcycle license or registration, but on both the operator is supposed to hold a valid driver license...see, I am already confused.
    The stand up scooters say licensed drivers and you agree to terms and conditions on the unlock app about helmets...rare. Seeing two up is not uncommon. Seeing folks who appear to me under 18 as well.
    The stand up e-scooters may reach speeds of 15mph and can ride on sidewalks in some places and not in other certain downtown zones. UT says only where bicycles can go, no sidewalks basically. Real life has them riding in traffic lanes going around parked cars and buses loading. There are some crazy YouTube videos of them on ATX streets.I have interacted with them on motorcycles and a cage. They are supposed to use the marked bike lanes when possible. At least I can ride my bicycle faster once moving and get away from the novice user.

http://www.kut.org/post/blindsided-s...e-riding-safer

https://www.statesman.com/news/20181...stin-this-year

The new sit down scooters can go 20 (somewhere I saw 35 is possible with software, but shorter travel as a price)

The CDC and COATX are doing a study linked above in the article of a dead battery stop issue.

Mobility and common sense have not met yet and the rules and enforcement are on a different plane as well.
    Last edited by henzilla; 01-14-2019 at 11:19 PM.
    Steve Henson-Mod Team and SABMWRA Prez

Be decisive, right or wrong.The road of life is paved with
    flat squirrels who couldn't make a decision~unknown

Another report from CA and SATX

https://www.cnet.com/news/electric-s...g=CAD0610abe0f

Read San Antonio has put a moratorium on additional permits as they try to figure out the issues

https://m.mysanantonio.com/news/loca...s-13558386.php

I guess it will level off and maybe be litigated into submission

Austins first fatality a few days ago. The local emergency rooms say at least one scooter incident patient per shift , which they said are eleven rotations daily?

The rider was going wrong way on I-35 frontage road near the downtown entertainment district and was struck by a driver entering the uphill ramp to I-35.
    One of the responses is they have lighting for night use...if you see the lighting...pretty weak and the taillight is about 4" off the ground.

https://www.kxan.com/news/local/aust...ied/1754383609

Quote Originally Posted by henzilla View Post
    .if you see the lighting...pretty weak and the taillight is about 4" off the ground.
    Watching the video the light is hard to see. Small and way too low.
    Lee
    2016 R1200RS
    MOA # 30878
    Past BMW Bikes: 2011 K1300S, 2003 K1200RS, 1991 K75S, 1987 K75T, 1984 R100RT

The next version

These three wheelers were on display during SWSW in Austin...scooters were so yesterday
    25MPH capable

https://www-kxan-com.cdn.ampproject....ew=1&cap=swipe