Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 23

Thread: Rental Scooters...not full size Scooters

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
  1. #1
    not so retired henzilla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    CENTEX USA
    Posts
    10,268

    Rental Scooters...not full size Scooters

    Another iteration of mass transportation coming to cities from the bicycle rentals to now having to need a motor. Y'all ask what kids want?...here ya go.

    https://www.kxan.com/news/local/aust...tin/1693830612

    Stand up scootering will now be so last year

    There seems to be a reported injury, car contact incident weekly on the stand up scooters, knowing that more are not reported. Recently rode up Congress Ave into downtown Austin and the UT area and was shocked how many are zipping around and quickly becoming another hazard to identify.
    The other downside is the scooters are being left in walkways and also getting tossed into the creeks and river downtown.
    Steve Henson-Mod Team and SABMWRA Prez

    Be decisive, right or wrong.The road of life is paved with
    flat squirrels who couldn't make a decision~unknown

  2. #2
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Location
    Central Illinois
    Posts
    2,161

    Scoots

    I know that they can be a pain in the ass but if someone had them at the moa rally would you use them, or rent them one would have been nice in Des Moines for trips around fairgrounds

  3. #3
    These are about 2/3 in weight and in speed of the 49cc Sears and Roebuck Allstate Moped (by Puch) I bought when 14 years old. I suspect they will in fact lead some riders to small bikes, and then some of them to bigger bikes. I know for a fact that oldsters thought I was a menace on my moped. Some of them told my parents that was true.
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://web.bigbend.net/~glaves/

  4. #4
    not so retired henzilla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    CENTEX USA
    Posts
    10,268
    Quote Originally Posted by PGlaves View Post
    These are about 2/3 in weight and in speed of the 49cc Sears and Roebuck Allstate Moped (by Puch) I bought when 14 years old. I suspect they will in fact lead some riders to small bikes, and then some of them to bigger bikes. I know for a fact that oldsters thought I was a menace on my moped. Some of them told my parents that was true.
    My hope is they could be a gateway intro to future motorcycle riders. The skateboard crowd easily accepted the stand up versions and seem to be the target market. The city is actively adding bicycle lanes and opened a new section on western edge of downtown yesterday, however shared with bus traffic.
    20MPH and regular traffic lanes with little education or experience will be interesting. Riding bicycles used to be a mixed bag of interaction when I did it regularly in the area.


    I remember when inline skaters were the downtown and UT area target of anger.Been a while for sure.
    Steve Henson-Mod Team and SABMWRA Prez

    Be decisive, right or wrong.The road of life is paved with
    flat squirrels who couldn't make a decision~unknown

  5. #5
    SURVIVOR akbeemer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Silver City, Montana
    Posts
    7,275
    Quote Originally Posted by henzilla View Post
    My hope is they could be a gateway intro to future motorcycle riders. The skateboard crowd easily accepted the stand up versions and seem to be the target market. The city is actively adding bicycle lanes and opened a new section on western edge of downtown yesterday, however shared with bus traffic.
    20MPH and regular traffic lanes with little education or experience will be interesting. Riding bicycles used to be a mixed bag of interaction when I did it regularly in the area.


    I remember when inline skaters were the downtown and UT area target of anger.Been a while for sure.
    Gateway motorcycles; gateway drugs. Not much difference; with both they get you hooked with the cheap stuff and then the cost goes way up.
    Kevin
    The Outpost, Silver City, Montana
    Team Pterodactyl
    2018 Ural Gear Up, 2017 R1200GSA

  6. #6
    not so retired henzilla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    CENTEX USA
    Posts
    10,268
    Quote Originally Posted by akbeemer View Post
    Gateway motorcycles; gateway drugs. Not much difference; with both they get you hooked with the cheap stuff and then the cost goes way up.
    I knew that was the wrong word... but, yeah
    Steve Henson-Mod Team and SABMWRA Prez

    Be decisive, right or wrong.The road of life is paved with
    flat squirrels who couldn't make a decision~unknown

  7. #7
    Has the GS-Lust The_Veg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Atlanta 'burbs
    Posts
    5,444
    Quote Originally Posted by PGlaves View Post
    These are about 2/3 in weight and in speed of the 49cc Sears and Roebuck Allstate Moped (by Puch) I bought when 14 years old. I suspect they will in fact lead some riders to small bikes, and then some of them to bigger bikes. I know for a fact that oldsters thought I was a menace on my moped. Some of them told my parents that was true.
    Might lead one or two oddball kids to real bikes, but I suspect that the majority of youngsters using them wish that the things drove themselves so they could keep playing with their phones.
    2012 R1200GS
    "If you can't fix it with a hammer, it's electrical." -somebody's dad
    http://www.thethingaboutcars.com/

  8. #8
    not so retired henzilla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    CENTEX USA
    Posts
    10,268

    The next version

    These three wheelers were on display during SWSW in Austin...scooters were so yesterday
    25MPH capable

    https://www-kxan-com.cdn.ampproject....ew=1&cap=swipe
    Steve Henson-Mod Team and SABMWRA Prez

    Be decisive, right or wrong.The road of life is paved with
    flat squirrels who couldn't make a decision~unknown

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by 179212 View Post
    I know that they can be a pain in the ass but if someone had them at the moa rally would you use them, or rent them one would have been nice in Des Moines for trips around fairgrounds
    Two wheel golf carts!
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://web.bigbend.net/~glaves/

  10. #10
    not so retired henzilla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    CENTEX USA
    Posts
    10,268
    Quote Originally Posted by 179212 View Post
    I know that they can be a pain in the ass but if someone had them at the moa rally would you use them, or rent them one would have been nice in Des Moines for trips around fairgrounds
    An interesting proposition... can you stand on the floorboards while cruising
    Steve Henson-Mod Team and SABMWRA Prez

    Be decisive, right or wrong.The road of life is paved with
    flat squirrels who couldn't make a decision~unknown

  11. #11
    Debbie's Servant Lee's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    SW Iowa
    Posts
    6,047
    Quote Originally Posted by 179212 View Post
    or rent them one would have been nice in Des Moines for trips around fairgrounds
    During the fair you can rent the 4 wheel handicap electric scooters.
    I thought that might have been a option at the rally, but maybe it was too costly or complicated to arrange.

    53e43cf91ce33.image.jpg

    Looked it up, $60 a day during the fair.
    Lee
    2016 R1200RS
    MOA # 30878
    Past BMW Bikes: 2011 K1300S, 2003 K1200RS, 1991 K75S, 1987 K75T, 1984 R100RT

  12. #12
    not so retired henzilla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    CENTEX USA
    Posts
    10,268
    Quote Originally Posted by Lee View Post
    During the fair you can rent the 4 wheel handicap electric scooters.
    I thought that might have been a option at the rally, but maybe it was too costly or complicated to arrange.

    53e43cf91ce33.image.jpg

    Looked it up, $60 a day during the fair.
    Or, a missed opportunity that needs addressing in future spread out facilities.
    Steve Henson-Mod Team and SABMWRA Prez

    Be decisive, right or wrong.The road of life is paved with
    flat squirrels who couldn't make a decision~unknown

  13. #13
    '99 '03 '06 National Co-Rally Chair Friedle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Poughkeepsie, NY
    Posts
    1,708
    Quote Originally Posted by henzilla View Post
    Or, a missed opportunity that needs addressing in future spread out facilities.
    Was this shot taken at the Des Moines National? Oh wait, probably not, nobody dressed in Hi Viz though the crowd looks similar. Is that guy with the scooter at full lock a GS Giant ?

    Friedle
    Ride fast safely

  14. #14
    Since renting scooters at the national was mentioned, I will ask-will there be a shuttle? There was at the last MOA national I attended.

    Bob

  15. #15
    not so retired henzilla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    CENTEX USA
    Posts
    10,268
    Steve Henson-Mod Team and SABMWRA Prez

    Be decisive, right or wrong.The road of life is paved with
    flat squirrels who couldn't make a decision~unknown

Similar Threads

  1. Scooters
    By 13313 in forum Motorrad
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 11-24-2012, 08:08 PM
  2. Anyone else interested in the new scooters?
    By GILLY in forum Campfire
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 06-01-2012, 05:43 PM
  3. Now, scooters?
    By boxermaf in forum Motorrad
    Replies: 27
    Last Post: 11-19-2010, 04:44 PM
  4. BMW Scooters?
    By pcsof8 in forum Campfire
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: 08-12-2006, 02:04 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •