Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: L.E.D. Resistor Help

Quote Originally Posted by gloucesterman View Post
    Hi,
    Also Gator using these formula's the fact that it is being wired in parallel which is needed will not change the values???
    Norm
    The value of the LED and the resistor in parallel will be different. When you have two devices in parallel the combined resistance is measured at the point where the two devices connect. Since you will now have two paths of current flow the resistance will be lower. Also, this means that it will always be lower than either device by itself.
    2004 R1150RT 186,800 miles , 1991 K100LT 128,700 miles, 1982 R100RT 106,900 miles
    Total 422,400 BMW miles
    AMA,BMWRA,BMWMOA
    The cheapest thing on a BMW is the nut that connects the handlebars to the seat.

Quote Originally Posted by Pauls1150 View Post
    T
    If it draws less current, then a resistor in parallel would fix that; you need to know what the difference in current is - the stock vs. the Puig - to figure the resistor's value.
    If the Puig lighting draws more current, put a piece of black tape over the warning bulb.
    Attachment 72266
    Send it back!
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://web.bigbend.net/~glaves/

Hi,
    You're right. My bad. That is a per bulb value. His resistor for each bulb will be the difference between his original load and the new led load. Once he has that difference he can figure out what wattage he needs for each resistor. I would up the wattage rating on the resistor to take into consideration overall voltage fluctuation.

https://www.rapidtables.com/calc/ele...alculator.html

5 Watts
    12 Volts
    .42 Amps
    29 Ohms

Later,
    Norm
    You'll never see America from 30,000 feet or an interstate.

So a couple of people caught what I was saying about parallel resistance. There is also the whole what does the canbus actually look for?
    Lastly I have to say as usual I completely agree with Paul if the vendor sells a product that requires you to design and engineer a work around send it back. What I do know about canbus is depending on where you tie in you can effect any and everything on that part of the bus. IE if you tie in at the wrong spot you can cause all kinds of gremlins!
    Gator

It Is Simple

Yes Gator,
    But we are not talking about a parallel circuit here, and yes it is different but this is a simple series circuit. All he is trying to do is mimic the load that the computer originally saw on that circuit. I can't even imagine what might happen if you wired a resistor in parallel on a BMW!
    Later,
    Norm
    You'll never see America from 30,000 feet or an interstate.

Fortis Fortuna Adiuvat Omega Man's Avatar
    Well, it seems a lot of anger directed at Puig. While I don't know anything about Puig or their products....I thought I would take a look.

I can't find Puig supplying lights- https://puig.tv/en/tuning-motos/lice...ort?bike=12860

It seems RevZilla has a kit- with a light- https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/...r-rs-2015-2019

There is a caution that-
    This product FITS your 2017 BMW R1200R
    Fitment Notes & Exceptions
    Not compatible with OEM turn signals
    Requires splicing of OEM license plate light harness
    It would be nice if the OP could return and give us an idea how the kit was supplied.

OM
    "You can do good or you can do well. Sooner or later they make you choose." MI5
    Mod Squad
    2009 F800GS 1994 TW200

Quote Originally Posted by Omega Man View Post
    Well, it seems a lot of anger directed at Puig. While I don't know anything about Puig or their products....I thought I would take a look.

I can't find Puig supplying lights- https://puig.tv/en/tuning-motos/lice...ort?bike=12860

It seems RevZilla has a kit- with a light- https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/...r-rs-2015-2019

There is a caution that-

It would be nice if the OP could return and give us an idea how the kit was supplied.

OM
    I did finally get a response from Puig. They stated I received an older version kit. Even though it was made specifically for my motorcycle, they later removed the l.e.d. light and expanded the hole on the mount to accept the o.e.m. bulb. The kit I received, I was unable to pass through the bulb and bulb holder to mount. They are sending me an updated part. However, I have misplaced the original bulb, bulb holder, and wire. So, it's not going to do me much good.
    I really appreciate everyone's help.

Fortis Fortuna Adiuvat Omega Man's Avatar
    Nice
    OM
    "You can do good or you can do well. Sooner or later they make you choose." MI5
    Mod Squad
    2009 F800GS 1994 TW200

Quote Originally Posted by gloucesterman View Post
    Yes Gator,
    But we are not talking about a parallel circuit here, and yes it is different but this is a simple series circuit. All he is trying to do is mimic the load that the computer originally saw on that circuit. I can't even imagine what might happen if you wired a resistor in parallel on a BMW!
    Later,
    Norm
    Are you positive the canbus is only looking at load? I am not. I am trying hard to understand canbus as I recently purchased a 2016 RS. Most of my Experience is with Airheads and older Electronics and no I am not an Electronics guru. Very limited knowledge in fact. I can tell you a series resistor will not work correctly.
    Gator

Buy one of these and connect it in parallel with the bulb (not in series).
    MOA #107139
    RA #28511