• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Gloves- protection, non- bulky

:)

The strongest leather (that's viable to make gloves out of) is actually from stingrays, then kangaroo. Kangaroo leather is lighter and stronger than the hide of a cow or goat. It has 10 times the tensile strength of cowhide and is 50% stronger than goatskin.
Agreed, I'd forgotten about "Roo" skin. Having said that, I guess the reason I'd forgotten, aside from the multiple concussions :banghead, is my understanding that goatskin will provide enough for what is needed in virtually every situation and anything above that is very much a matter of personal preference.

My Held Steve gloves are kangaroo leather palms, part of the reason they are a little pricy. But still a LOT cheaper than hand surgery repair.

Protection.....YES Just think of all the things you couldn't do for yourself if both hands were heavily covered with casts? Do you really have any friends that are that close ????

Another secondary benefit to kangaroo leather gloves is that the palm has a small built in pouch for toll change. :thumb

Friedle

Just consider that there's a hierarchy of protection ... let's say from 0% to 100%

Most gloves discussed/suggested here so far likely fall in the less than 50% category. Make sure you know that.

100% can only describe the best available today ... likely in a short time the standard will be raised.

Today's 100% is the sort of glove Valentino Rossi et al wear in MotoGP racing. Kangaroo palm, knuckle protection, joined small finger, slider buttons, retention strap, etc.

To get to today's 100% your minimum cost is probably $200.

Just understand where it's at ... choose with all data and information available.

Personally, I'm never spending less than $200 again. Currently with Racer brand, perhaps Alpinestars, Dainese, etc., next.

I think it was two years ago and I think it was Bradl, but anyway at the Qatar night race he went sliding/tumbling through a gravel trap. Sparks were coming from his gloves ... likely titanium slider buttons.

Back