Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Gloves- protection, non- bulky

The Adventure Rider Radio podcast just did a walk-through all about the elkskin Aerostich roper gloves (plus there is a video on ARR's website)

As many have said, I too enjoy my elkskin Aerostich gloves.
    Current: 2007 BMW R1200RT
    Former: 1995 BMW K75S, 2009 BMW G650GS
    MOA Member #:150400, IBA#: 37558

I'm curious which three seasons the OP has in mind. I know that for northerners it's generally all except winter, but for some southerners it's all except summer.

That said, I have some Held Steve II's that I bought as a splurge (I don't generally like to spend so much, but my cashflow was good at that moment) and I figured I'd see what all the fuss was about. Been loving them ever since, but I don't do off-pavement adventures and they have yet to be crash-tested (hope they never do). Good up the point where I feel the need for switching to mesh gear. The really bothersome thing about the high price though is that I saw on the tag that they were made in some undoubtedly cheep corner of Eastern Europe. To bad they weren't priced like Eastern Europe.
    2012 R1200GS
    "If you can't fix it with a hammer, it's electrical." -somebody's dad
    http://www.thethingaboutcars.com/

Dress for fall & avoid it AlanColes's Avatar
    Like so much else in life, everyone has a different opinion on what a motorcycle glove should do and be.

For me, after 40+ years of riding, a bit of racing, putting a bike down on the highway and watching two riders die on the side of the road from injuries, my considerations in order of importance are:
    1st - protection
    2nd - functionality
    3rd - comfort and ergonomics.

Much of what has been suggested is very light on protection. I'm referring to the following areas

Impact protection
    • knuckle protection (hand and finger knuckles)
    • palm slider
    • finger protection
    Abrasion protection
    • goatskin - far better than most other products
    • little finger slider - reduces tendency of it grabbing and being broken by twisting

I have several different REV'IT gloves (4) that are my go-to gloves. One 3-season (Summit 2 H2O), two hot weather (Fly and Fly 2), and one cold weather pair (can't recall the model).

My opinion of the best 3-season gauntlet, is their Summit 2 H2O Glove ($120) with CE-level 2 impact values for the knuckles. I've worn this for a long time and only switch to their lighter Fly 2 Gloves ($90) when it is fairly hot. YMMV
    Regards, Alan - President BMWONS - MOA Charter Club #097, BMWMOA/BMWRA/BMWONS/Airheads
    Current: '14 R1200RT / '06 Ducati ST3s / '91 R100GS / '86 R80RT / '75 R90S / '73 850 & '70 750 Commando Prev: '04 R1150RT / '81 Honda GL1100 / '77 Suzuki GS750 / '73 Norton 850 Commando

Quote Originally Posted by AlanColes View Post
    Like so much else in life, everyone has a different opinion on what a motorcycle glove should do and be.

YMMV

The strongest leather (that's viable to make gloves out of) is actually from stingrays, then kangaroo. Kangaroo leather is lighter and stronger than the hide of a cow or goat. It has 10 times the tensile strength of cowhide and is 50% stronger than goatskin.

Even more info: Motorcycle Gloves - Which Ones & Why? by David Hough - "One glove isn't going to fit every situation"
    Current: 2007 BMW R1200RT
    Former: 1995 BMW K75S, 2009 BMW G650GS
    MOA Member #:150400, IBA#: 37558

Quote Originally Posted by RIDERR1150GSADV View Post
    I use BMW GS gloves for when it is hot out and that is about 8 months of the year. They aren't like my Enduroguard 2 in 1 protection wise but they are way better then Wally world gloves....
    These are also my choice for hot weather. http://www.sierrabmwonline.com/produ...1d103in41h4h57

Notice the kangaroo and goatskin leathers.

For very hot weather and long trips I wear a Roadcrafter II jacket to hopefully minimize dehydration so I count on some air up my sleeves hence the need for no-gauntlet gloves.
    My fleet: 2015 R1200GS, 2017 Toyota Prius Prime (plug-in hybrid)

Dress for fall & avoid it AlanColes's Avatar
    [QUOTE=drneo66;1153262]

The strongest leather (that's viable to make gloves out of) is actually from stingrays, then kangaroo. Kangaroo leather is lighter and stronger than the hide of a cow or goat. It has 10 times the tensile strength of cowhide and is 50% stronger than goatskin.
    Agreed, I'd forgotten about "Roo" skin. Having said that, I guess the reason I'd forgotten, aside from the multiple concussions , is my understanding that goatskin will provide enough for what is needed in virtually every situation and anything above that is very much a matter of personal preference.
    Regards, Alan - President BMWONS - MOA Charter Club #097, BMWMOA/BMWRA/BMWONS/Airheads
    Current: '14 R1200RT / '06 Ducati ST3s / '91 R100GS / '86 R80RT / '75 R90S / '73 850 & '70 750 Commando Prev: '04 R1150RT / '81 Honda GL1100 / '77 Suzuki GS750 / '73 Norton 850 Commando

'99 '03 '06 National Co-Rally Chair Friedle's Avatar
    My Held Steve gloves are kangaroo leather palms, part of the reason they are a little pricy. But still a LOT cheaper than hand surgery repair.

Protection.....YES Just think of all the things you couldn't do for yourself if both hands were heavily covered with casts? Do you really have any friends that are that close ????

Another secondary benefit to kangaroo leather gloves is that the palm has a small built in pouch for toll change.

Friedle
    Ride fast safely

Just consider that there's a hierarchy of protection ... let's say from 0% to 100%

Most gloves discussed/suggested here so far likely fall in the less than 50% category. Make sure you know that.

100% can only describe the best available today ... likely in a short time the standard will be raised.

Today's 100% is the sort of glove Valentino Rossi et al wear in MotoGP racing. Kangaroo palm, knuckle protection, joined small finger, slider buttons, retention strap, etc.

To get to today's 100% your minimum cost is probably $200.

Just understand where it's at ... choose with all data and information available.

Personally, I'm never spending less than $200 again. Currently with Racer brand, perhaps Alpinestars, Dainese, etc., next.

I think it was two years ago and I think it was Bradl, but anyway at the Qatar night race he went sliding/tumbling through a gravel trap. Sparks were coming from his gloves ... likely titanium slider buttons.
    Kent Christensen
    '12 R1200RT, '02 R1100S, '84 R80G/S