• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

K13GT fuel pump failure

capricorn54

Been scouring the forums for any thread relating to failed fuel pump without success. Does anyone have any tech reference for pulling the fuel tank and replacing the fuel pump in a K1300GT?

Has this bike had the fuel pump recall performed prior to this failure? What is the failure mode—electrical failure of the pump motor, or mechanical failure of the mounting flange and resultant fuel leakage?

Best,
DG

Electrical failure due to pump being bound up

Has this bike had the fuel pump recall performed prior to this failure? What is the failure mode—electrical failure of the pump motor, or mechanical failure of the mounting flange and resultant fuel leakage?

Best,
DG

The local BMW dealer informed me that since I did not hear the initial whining of the fuel pump at power on then there is indeed this problem and that sometimes you can reverse polarity on the fuel pump and clear a jam in the pump internals.

The bike is a 2010 with a little over 30K miles on the odometer.

Low miles for a failure, however, a sitting bike with modern fuel degradation and moisture can accelerate an issue.
Replaced a similar pump on a R12GS that sat for three years. Everything on the pump that could corrode, did and the corrugated straw plastic lines on the pump basically disentegrated. Was not pretty. I cannot attach pic at moment.

I also have a friends K12S here with same symptoms and opening the fuel cap will take your breath away with varnish smell. It also sat a few years with a half tank and has no sound from pump right at key on boot up.

Not a hard repair once tank is off, just costly if the complete unit and not just a aftermarket pump is needed.
Did your dealer run the VIN or check the bung QC fitting for cracks?. Possible it could be replaced on that issue as was done for three of our bikes and a few posters here.

Back