Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Tank bag repair

Quote Originally Posted by robsryder View Post
    The BMW tank bag on my R1100RS is of a slightly different design, but did use elastic straps at the front of the bag. These straps lost their elasticity and were fraying badly. I had them replaced with some web straps about 1-inch wide such as found at camping stores. The old straps were removed and the new straps sewn in place at the local shoe repair place.

The foam pad on the bottom of the tank bag also began to disintegrate. I obtained some gasoline resistant foam (don't recall the specific source) and glued the new foam to the bottom of the tank bag. Following is a link to a vendor that offers various chemical and fuel resistant foam material -

https://www.globalspec.com/ds/4244/a...tures_chemical
    exactly what I did.

Tank bag repair

No problem
    . Sent my tank bag from a 1977 R850R to Linda in FL. ( http://www.customtankbags.com/ ) Octber 2018. She replaced straps, installed waterproof electrical outlet

Subzero Scooter Idiot oldcarkook's Avatar

Thumbs up Tank Bag strap repair and zipper repair

I have had both the zipper and bag straps replaced/repaired on my '96 RT by a local car upholstery shop. They have the heavy machines and experience to manage properly the materials of construction on those bags.

Like the other reports, my tank bag elastic straps that hook to the front of the tank got stretched out and frayed with age and now, they are like new. Also, same as robsryder, I found fuel resistant foam padding to place under the tank bag to use for the totally disintegrate original foam. The rest of the bag is great so hate to ditch it because of a busted zipper and straps. Cost peanuts to repair. I used Mark's Auto Upholstery for my repair. http://marksautoupholstering.com/
    Experience is the comb that mother nature gives us when we are bald

All those tank bags would have been real easy for me to repair as I've been sewing since the early 70's when I was in college. I've been wondering but not looking a lot if there are patterns I could down load to make my own tank bag, the least expensive one I've found that would work well was $175 but I can't remember where online, have to go through my time line and look for patterns.

Rocky Bow BMW Riders #197 bogthebasher's Avatar

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by happy wanderer View Post
    Wow. Now that is definitely NOT a ringing endorsement.
    Update!

I reached Linda at Custom TankBags on her 800 number 866-304-2138 and asked about my bag. She confirmed that she had it (still in shipping box) and that she was definitely running behind lately but got the feeling that she could use another pair of hands to lighten the load being a one woman show. In any case she committed to repairing my R1200RT Tankbag by the end of April (2019). I will be calling her in 30 days if she does not contact me first. Here is hoping I see my bag before my first major trip this summer.
    Ken Dittrick
    2008 R1200RT (Biarritz Blau)

Excuses are the rocks upon which our dreams are crushed - Tim Fargo

Day Dreaming ... happy wanderer's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bogthebasher View Post
    Update!

I reached Linda at Custom TankBags on her 800 number 866-304-2138 and asked about my bag. She confirmed that she had it (still in shipping box) and that she was definitely running behind lately but got the feeling that she could use another pair of hands to lighten the load being a one woman show. In any case she committed to repairing my R1200RT Tankbag by the end of April (2019). I will be calling her in 30 days if she does not contact me first. Here is hoping I see my bag before my first major trip this summer.
    That is great news Ken. I'm still trying to source a #8 YKK Vislon zipper somewhere near Vancouver to fix mine. So far I found one but it is down in Bellingham or Lynden Washington which is a very long way to go for a zipper!
    I was told by the biggest sewing store downtown that size is used in a LOT of European jackets etc but not so much in North America which might explain why there is no stock anywhere.
    MJM - BeeCeeBeemers Motorcycle Club Vancouver B.C.
    '81 R80G/S, '82 R100RS, '00 R1100RT

Left Coast Rider
    Quote Originally Posted by happy wanderer View Post
    That is great news Ken. I'm still trying to source a #8 YKK Vislon zipper somewhere near Vancouver to fix mine.
    Does this help? Not sure what length you need...

https://www.amazon.ca/36-VISLON-ZIPP.../dp/B0054JDHCK

Day Dreaming ... happy wanderer's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BC1100S View Post
    Does this help? Not sure what length you need...

https://www.amazon.ca/36-VISLON-ZIPP.../dp/B0054JDHCK
    I found those a while back but it seems anything longer than 36" they only sell #10 size.
    The BMW system tank bag for the 1100RT zipper is 39.5 inches so I would need a 40" or longer.

Seems to be unobtanium. All I need to fix it is the #8 retaining box where the zipper starts but that part is not sold seperately. The repair kits contain a metal tab you bend over as a stop spot but this does not work on a YKK that was made with a retaining box.

You would think this was easy but it seems the only way to fix this is to replace the whole zipper which is just under 40" long or find one similar that you can carefully pry the retainer box off of and then hope to crimp and glue it on your busted one.

I want the exact same zipper because it fits the lid which holds the map top cover and also connects to the expander compartment. The all use the same zipper so you can switch to small bag mode or large bag mode, with map cover mode or no map cover mode.

Change the bottom zipper to something else, nothing will fit. It's been a right PIA to be honest. No sewing shops in town have or can get them. Luggage places I called do not seem to have a solution or access to the zipper I need.
    MJM - BeeCeeBeemers Motorcycle Club Vancouver B.C.
    '81 R80G/S, '82 R100RS, '00 R1100RT

So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains
    And we never even know we have the key

Rocky Bow BMW Riders #197 bogthebasher's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bogthebasher View Post
    Update!

Well here it is now September (2019) and Linda did not call and no Tankbag has been returned. I would rather have it back if I could as it was by far my favourite farkle and the OEM price was dear. I shall now be looking for something to replace it but I doubt anything else will be near as convenient.
    Ken Dittrick
    2008 R1200RT (Biarritz Blau)

Excuses are the rocks upon which our dreams are crushed - Tim Fargo