• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Tank bag repair

wardjhwtaw

My 2000 R1100RT tank bag has two elastic straps with hooks on the ends that attach to cleats on the front of the tank. The straps are fraying. Does BMW REPAIR/replace these or is their another entity that does this work?

Welcome to the forum! There's one thread in the Similar Threads pane below that has some ideas. In the link in my signature line, I had this one source for luggage repair...I don't know anything about them:

http://rainypass.com/

The BMW tank bag on my R1100RS is of a slightly different design, but did use elastic straps at the front of the bag. These straps lost their elasticity and were fraying badly. I had them replaced with some web straps about 1-inch wide such as found at camping stores. The old straps were removed and the new straps sewn in place at the local shoe repair place.

The foam pad on the bottom of the tank bag also began to disintegrate. I obtained some gasoline resistant foam (don't recall the specific source) and glued the new foam to the bottom of the tank bag. Following is a link to a vendor that offers various chemical and fuel resistant foam material -

https://www.globalspec.com/ds/4244/areaspec/features_chemical

I had over stretched elastic straps on the tank bag of a K75 and they wouldn't stay hooked to the tank. I took it to the local cobbler and he replaced the straps for me.

I had mine repaired here: http://www.customtankbags.com/
She did a great job at a reasonable price.

Joe

Can we ask what was done and how much? I have a busted zipper on my BMW RT tank bag and having a heck of a time finding a #8 YKK Vislon zipper for it in Canada. Lots in the States.. but a few bucks for a zipper and 25 bucks to ship it seems a bit ridiculous. Might be better to send it to a repair place.

Can we ask what was done and how much? I have a busted zipper on my BMW RT tank bag and having a heck of a time finding a #8 YKK Vislon zipper for it in Canada. Lots in the States.. but a few bucks for a zipper and 25 bucks to ship it seems a bit ridiculous. Might be better to send it to a repair place.

I had both elastic straps replaced. But I don't recall the exact price. Under $30 I think. This was quite some time ago.
She is very nice. Why don't you give her a call.

Joe.

I had both elastic straps replaced. But I don't recall the exact price. Under $30 I think. This was quite some time ago.
She is very nice. Why don't you give her a call.

Joe.

I sent a bag to her last May and called a few times, talked to her once (August) but still no fixed tank bag back. I am out my tank bag and the shipping cost. Not sure what the issue is but have pretty much given up on seeing my bag again.

Not hard to replace the straps yourself if you can sew.
The elastic strapping is available at sewing stores.

Not hard to replace the straps yourself if you can sew.
The elastic strapping is available at sewing stores.

On K75 tank bags there are two 3" wide elastic straps that have fittings to grip the under side of the tank. They wear out. I can not sew leather and elastic - not in my skill set and equipment. But I can use weatherstrip adhesive and pop rivets. I used a knife to slice the old stitching. I then used new 3" elastic, I positioned the elastic correctly after gooping it with 3M adhesive inside the two-part leather sleeve.. I then secured the elastic inside the two leather layers with pop rivets, smooth side toward the tank. I covered the rivets where they meet the tank with little round Velcro adhesive tabs.

I sent a bag to her last May and called a few times, talked to her once (August) but still no fixed tank bag back. I am out my tank bag and the shipping cost. Not sure what the issue is but have pretty much given up on seeing my bag again.

Wow. Now that is definitely NOT a ringing endorsement.

The BMW tank bag on my R1100RS is of a slightly different design, but did use elastic straps at the front of the bag. These straps lost their elasticity and were fraying badly. I had them replaced with some web straps about 1-inch wide such as found at camping stores. The old straps were removed and the new straps sewn in place at the local shoe repair place.

The foam pad on the bottom of the tank bag also began to disintegrate. I obtained some gasoline resistant foam (don't recall the specific source) and glued the new foam to the bottom of the tank bag. Following is a link to a vendor that offers various chemical and fuel resistant foam material -

https://www.globalspec.com/ds/4244/areaspec/features_chemical

exactly what I did.:thumb

Tank Bag strap repair and zipper repair

I have had both the zipper and bag straps replaced/repaired on my '96 RT by a local car upholstery shop. They have the heavy machines and experience to manage properly the materials of construction on those bags.

Like the other reports, my tank bag elastic straps that hook to the front of the tank got stretched out and frayed with age and now, they are like new. Also, same as robsryder, I found fuel resistant foam padding to place under the tank bag to use for the totally disintegrate original foam. The rest of the bag is great so hate to ditch it because of a busted zipper and straps. Cost peanuts to repair. I used Mark's Auto Upholstery for my repair. http://marksautoupholstering.com/

All those tank bags would have been real easy for me to repair as I've been sewing since the early 70's when I was in college. I've been wondering but not looking a lot if there are patterns I could down load to make my own tank bag, the least expensive one I've found that would work well was $175 but I can't remember where online, have to go through my time line and look for patterns.

Wow. Now that is definitely NOT a ringing endorsement.

Update!

I reached Linda at Custom TankBags on her 800 number 866-304-2138 and asked about my bag. She confirmed that she had it (still in shipping box) and that she was definitely running behind lately but got the feeling that she could use another pair of hands to lighten the load being a one woman show. In any case she committed to repairing my R1200RT Tankbag by the end of April (2019). I will be calling her in 30 days if she does not contact me first. Here is hoping I see my bag before my first major trip this summer.

Back