• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Garmin discontinues BaseCamp Support

If all you want is directions or a moving map showing your current location, those solutions are fine.

If you want to plan and/or share routes that go into far-reaching areas, these solutions are not adequate.

I was having tea and hard-tac with Chris Columbus the other day.......... :gerg
OM

Yes, Basecamp is still available for download and still supported.
The original title to this thread is misleading and should be corrected.

All versions of Basecamp are available >>here<< It is still recommended that you install 4.6.2 instead of 4.7.0 due to some issues, until Garmin releases the fixes.

Discontinuance of development would imply there will be no fixes, patches, etc. for the 4.7.0 version. In Garmin-speak, I think “supported” means only that they will answer any questions you may have, and will assist you in using or installing the software, but that’s about it. Pretty much the same routine they followed with MapSource.

Best,
DG

I was having tea and hard-tac with Chris Columbus the other day.......... :gerg
OM

Come on now, Chris Columbus found his way here without GPS, and even managed to avoid falling off the edge of the world while doing it. How many "New Worlds" have you discovered with your GPS ??? :)

Friedle

All versions of Basecamp are available >>here<< It is still recommended that you install 4.6.2 instead of 4.7.0 due to some issues, until Garmin releases the fixes.

Version 4.6.2 can be downloaded here: http://www.gawisp.com/perry/mapsource/. Save a copy of the installer in case you accidentally "upgrade" to 4.7.

Some web functions and Garmin cloud storage will not work because Garmin discontinued their services, but 4.6.2 will still let you preview your routes with Google Earth.

Those are all PC exe's... do either of you happen to know where a Mac-compatibly 4.6.2 is available? I really miss that Google Earth preview feature.

Come on now, Chris Columbus found his way here without GPS, and even managed to avoid falling off the edge of the world while doing it. How many "New Worlds" have you discovered with your GPS ??? :)

Friedle

You seem to have missed the part of the conversation I was replying to.
OM

All I can easily find on the Garmin site is version 4.7, which is a functional down grade from version 4.6.2. Also, there have been reports of problems transferring data to some devices.

Version 4.6.2 can be downloaded here: http://www.gawisp.com/perry/mapsource/. Save a copy of the installer in case you accidentally "upgrade" to 4.7.

Some web functions and Garmin cloud storage will not work because Garmin discontinued their services, but 4.6.2 will still let you preview your routes with Google Earth.

Edit: Guess I need to type faster...

You can use other cloud storage instead of the Garmin cloud by following these how to instructions: Instructions for Windows

The equivalent for Macs: https://forums.garmin.com/forum/mac...ued-after-may-20th-2018?p=1357946#post1357946

Friedle

Columbus was lost looking for a passage to Asia which he never found. :scratch

Because someone on board gave him an updated version of his astrolabe and threw the old version overboard. :banghead

I have that feeling that Garmin is getting out of the small GPS unit (cars/motorcycles/handhelds) market.

/Guenther

Columbus was lost looking for a passage to Asia which he never found. :scratch

Nothing wrong with that. Once I was looking for Vermont and found New Hampshire instead. Just as nice as I imagined Vermont would be. The Queen didn't even get mad when I was late getting home. :dance

Friedle

Back