Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Garmin discontinues BaseCamp Support

Garmin discontinues BaseCamp Support

Support continues. New versions won't: "BaseCamp development has been discontinued".

Joe
    “Fate whispers to the warrior, 'You can not withstand the storm.'
    The warrior whispers back, 'I am the storm.'

Quote Originally Posted by 61996 View Post
    Support continues. New versions won't: "BaseCamp development has been discontinued".

Joe
    But if the MapSource continued support model is followed, support for BaseCamp will largely consist of coercing users to migrate to the new website.
    ☹️
    Best,
    DG
    DGerber
    1983 R80ST — 1984 R80 G/S PD — 1993 R100GS — 2004 K1200GT w/Hannigan S/C — 2010 K1300GT
    BMWMOA#52184, AMA#271542, IBA#138

Quote Originally Posted by GTRider View Post
    But if the MapSource continued support model is followed, support for BaseCamp will largely consist of coercing users to migrate to the new website.
    ☹️
    Best,
    DG
    it appears that the new website doesn't exist: "HTTP Status 404 - /en-CA/explore.garmin.com".

Joe

it appears that the new website doesn't exist: "HTTP Status 404 - /en-CA/explore.garmin.com".

Joe
    I am not surprised. The “Explore” app is available for mobile devices through android and Apple app stores, but discussion forums for the app indicate very limited device capability and issues with the app itself. It sure looks like Garmin is trying to get out of any serious mapping software for PCs. The search for good third-party software continues...I sure miss my old original Delorme software.

Best,
    DG
    DGerber
    1983 R80ST — 1984 R80 G/S PD — 1993 R100GS — 2004 K1200GT w/Hannigan S/C — 2010 K1300GT

I am not surprised. The “Explore” app is available for mobile devices through android and Apple app stores, but discussion forums for the app indicate very limited device capability and issues with the app itself. It sure looks like Garmin is trying to get out of any serious mapping software for PCs. The search for good third-party software continues...I sure miss my old original Delorme software.

Best,
    DG
    I guess it all remains to be seen.
    But I will probably continue to use BaseCamp for as long as I can.

Biggest problem I see with a web based application is what do you do when you're offline?

Joe

I guess it all remains to be seen.
    But I will probably continue to use BaseCamp for as long as I can.

Biggest problem I see with a web based application is what do you do when you're offline?

Joe
    When offline you pound sand, I suppose.
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://web.bigbend.net/~glaves/

I can’t help but wonder if Garmin treats their aviation customers this way. Probably not, they likely see that as a more lucrative market.

Best,
    DG
    DGerber

Fortis Fortuna Adiuvat Omega Man's Avatar
    For your consideration-
    With the new cars coming equipped with in dash GPS and what seems to be a saturation of suction cup windshield models, I wonder how Garmin is actually doing?
    OM
    "You can do good or you can do well. Sooner or later they make you choose." MI5
    Mod Squad
    2009 F800GS 1994 TW200

I can’t help but wonder if Garmin treats their aviation customers this way. Probably not, they likely see that as a more lucrative market.

Best,
    DG
    Garmin aviation support is an altogether better experience than we've received with the BMW NAV series iterations. I started installing their NAV/COMM units in my planes in the early 2000s when they were carving out market space previously owned by Bendix-King and Collins. They not only had to make a better product line, they had to offer unqualified support. Every time I use BaseCamp I am disappointed in its architecture and user interface, so I've stopped even trying.
    "Soló el que ensaya lo absurdo es capaz de conquistar lo imposible." Miguel de Unamuno 1905

Mark - Las Cruces, NM - '10 K1300S and '17 R1200 GSA

Quote Originally Posted by Omega Man View Post
    For your consideration-
    With the new cars coming equipped with in dash GPS and what seems to be a saturation of suction cup windshield models, I wonder how Garmin is actually doing?
    OM
    You don't even need to buy the in-dash built-in nav system any more. Apple Car Play is all you need (or probably the Andriod version; but I never used it). I have it in both vehicles and it works great. Plug the iphone in with usb and thats it. Uses nearly no data too.
    2015 R1200GSA

'99 '03 '06 National Co-Rally Chair Friedle's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by craigjv4 View Post
    You don't even need to buy the in-dash built-in nav system any more. Apple Car Play is all you need (or probably the Andriod version; but I never used it). I have it in both vehicles and it works great. Plug the iphone in with usb and thats it. Uses nearly no data too.
    OK, but you need a i phone, or some smart phone, and a cell signal. One of these I don't have or want, and the other I sometimes don't have. My Garmin 51 USA LM in my 99 jeep xj works every time anywhere unless 26 satellites fall from the sky at the same time. Then I can revert back to my maps. Keeping it simple.

Friedle
    Ride fast safely

Ute's Chauffeur
    Not surprised. I’ve used Basecamp since it’s beginning and I like the program. It has consistently worked for me when I plan multi-day trips. The future whether we like it or not is smartphone based, as that is what young people use and they are the consumers that matter for the future.

What we need is an app that allows for the planning of routes and fixes the quirks of the program. It would be nice to travel with my iPad and not need my computer in case I want to plan additional routes. I have tried some of the other programs and none of them convinced me to leave Basecamp.

Quote Originally Posted by cruisincruzan View Post
    Not surprised. I’ve used Basecamp since it’s beginning and I like the program. It has consistently worked for me when I plan multi-day trips. The future whether we like it or not is smartphone based, as that is what young people use and they are the consumers that matter for the future.

What we need is an app that allows for the planning of routes and fixes the quirks of the program. It would be nice to travel with my iPad and not need my computer in case I want to plan additional routes. I have tried some of the other programs and none of them convinced me to leave Basecamp.
    For serious route planning, especially adventurous routes that take the tiny back roads, the phone screen is too small.

You might like to try Furkot for route planning... it's browser-based and uses the Google basemap, so you can run it on a computer with a large screen and then export your routes to your phone or GPS. It also leverages Google's Search functions to show you all kinds of interesting stuff along the way... including hotels and fuel.

I, too, have used Basecamp from the beginning and Mapsource before it.... as well as Rand McNally, DeLorme and who knows what others. But I just cannot come to grips with Google Maps itself... there is too much hidden User Interface and they constantly keep changing how it works.

Ian

Quote Originally Posted by Omega Man View Post
    For your consideration-
    OM
    If all you want is directions or a moving map showing your current location, those solutions are fine.

If you want to plan and/or share routes that go into far-reaching areas, these solutions are not adequate.