• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Garmin discontinues BaseCamp Support

Support continues. New versions won't: "BaseCamp development has been discontinued".

Joe

But if the MapSource continued support model is followed, support for BaseCamp will largely consist of coercing users to migrate to the new website.
☹️
Best,
DG

But if the MapSource continued support model is followed, support for BaseCamp will largely consist of coercing users to migrate to the new website.
☹️
Best,
DG

it appears that the new website doesn't exist: "HTTP Status 404 - /en-CA/explore.garmin.com".

Joe

it appears that the new website doesn't exist: "HTTP Status 404 - /en-CA/explore.garmin.com".

Joe

I am not surprised. The “Explore” app is available for mobile devices through android and Apple app stores, but discussion forums for the app indicate very limited device capability and issues with the app itself. It sure looks like Garmin is trying to get out of any serious mapping software for PCs. The search for good third-party software continues...I sure miss my old original Delorme software.

Best,
DG

I am not surprised. The “Explore” app is available for mobile devices through android and Apple app stores, but discussion forums for the app indicate very limited device capability and issues with the app itself. It sure looks like Garmin is trying to get out of any serious mapping software for PCs. The search for good third-party software continues...I sure miss my old original Delorme software.

Best,
DG

I guess it all remains to be seen.
But I will probably continue to use BaseCamp for as long as I can.

Biggest problem I see with a web based application is what do you do when you're offline?

Joe

I guess it all remains to be seen.
But I will probably continue to use BaseCamp for as long as I can.

Biggest problem I see with a web based application is what do you do when you're offline?

Joe

When offline you pound sand, I suppose.

I can’t help but wonder if Garmin treats their aviation customers this way. Probably not, they likely see that as a more lucrative market.

Best,
DG

For your consideration-
With the new cars coming equipped with in dash GPS and what seems to be a saturation of suction cup windshield models, I wonder how Garmin is actually doing?
OM

I can’t help but wonder if Garmin treats their aviation customers this way. Probably not, they likely see that as a more lucrative market.

Best,
DG

Garmin aviation support is an altogether better experience than we've received with the BMW NAV series iterations. I started installing their NAV/COMM units in my planes in the early 2000s when they were carving out market space previously owned by Bendix-King and Collins. They not only had to make a better product line, they had to offer unqualified support. Every time I use BaseCamp I am disappointed in its architecture and user interface, so I've stopped even trying.

For your consideration-
With the new cars coming equipped with in dash GPS and what seems to be a saturation of suction cup windshield models, I wonder how Garmin is actually doing?
OM

You don't even need to buy the in-dash built-in nav system any more. Apple Car Play is all you need (or probably the Andriod version; but I never used it). I have it in both vehicles and it works great. Plug the iphone in with usb and thats it. Uses nearly no data too.

You don't even need to buy the in-dash built-in nav system any more. Apple Car Play is all you need (or probably the Andriod version; but I never used it). I have it in both vehicles and it works great. Plug the iphone in with usb and thats it. Uses nearly no data too.

OK, but you need a i phone, or some smart phone, and a cell signal. One of these I don't have or want, and the other I sometimes don't have. My Garmin 51 USA LM in my 99 jeep xj works every time anywhere unless 26 satellites fall from the sky at the same time. Then I can revert back to my maps. Keeping it simple.

Friedle

Not surprised. I’ve used Basecamp since it’s beginning and I like the program. It has consistently worked for me when I plan multi-day trips. The future whether we like it or not is smartphone based, as that is what young people use and they are the consumers that matter for the future.

What we need is an app that allows for the planning of routes and fixes the quirks of the program. It would be nice to travel with my iPad and not need my computer in case I want to plan additional routes. I have tried some of the other programs and none of them convinced me to leave Basecamp.

Not surprised. I’ve used Basecamp since it’s beginning and I like the program. It has consistently worked for me when I plan multi-day trips. The future whether we like it or not is smartphone based, as that is what young people use and they are the consumers that matter for the future.

What we need is an app that allows for the planning of routes and fixes the quirks of the program. It would be nice to travel with my iPad and not need my computer in case I want to plan additional routes. I have tried some of the other programs and none of them convinced me to leave Basecamp.

For serious route planning, especially adventurous routes that take the tiny back roads, the phone screen is too small.

You might like to try Furkot for route planning... it's browser-based and uses the Google basemap, so you can run it on a computer with a large screen and then export your routes to your phone or GPS. It also leverages Google's Search functions to show you all kinds of interesting stuff along the way... including hotels and fuel.

I, too, have used Basecamp from the beginning and Mapsource before it.... as well as Rand McNally, DeLorme and who knows what others. But I just cannot come to grips with Google Maps itself... there is too much hidden User Interface and they constantly keep changing how it works.

Ian

For your consideration-
OM

If all you want is directions or a moving map showing your current location, those solutions are fine.

If you want to plan and/or share routes that go into far-reaching areas, these solutions are not adequate.

Mapping

Not having much experience with gps and none with basecamp my WAG, targeted advertising is somehow part of this decision :)

Is BaseCamp still available for download?

Joe
Yes, Basecamp is still available for download and still supported.
The original title to this thread is misleading and should be corrected.

All versions of Basecamp are available >>here<< It is still recommended that you install 4.6.2 instead of 4.7.0 due to some issues, until Garmin releases the fixes.

All I can easily find on the Garmin site is version 4.7, which is a functional down grade from version 4.6.2. Also, there have been reports of problems transferring data to some devices.

Version 4.6.2 can be downloaded here: http://www.gawisp.com/perry/mapsource/. Save a copy of the installer in case you accidentally "upgrade" to 4.7.

Some web functions and Garmin cloud storage will not work because Garmin discontinued their services, but 4.6.2 will still let you preview your routes with Google Earth.

Edit: Guess I need to type faster...

Back